Twilight Zone for the Vita has terrible graphics.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
The ps vita is a. Niche platform at this point, can't really blame them for focusing their resources on more popular platforms.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I was just sick in my mouth after seeing that SS screenshot......yuck!. And there's me moaning about very small imperfections in the ipad version.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
1NyWPFT.jpg

Looks similar to what my 3 year old phone can do (plays buttery smooth though)

2013-02-14%2014.58.44.png

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
man that does look pretty bad! Times like this when I wish TPA had just 2 camera views and the table was pre-rendered.

night

May 18, 2012
Zen has excellent graphics. TPA could learn something from their artwork. Look, it all boils down to graphic artists. TPA has no good graphic artist, otherwise we would not even have this discussion. Let's face it, TPA has the easiest job graphic-wise: the table artwork is already done by someone else. All they need to do is stip down the table, scan-inn the artwork, retouch it and map it on the 3D elements. I tell you what the real problem is. The folks at FarSight responsible for the graphics are technical folks who can make 3D elements and map the graphics and all that. What they miss is an artistic eye, something you can't learn from a book, something you are born with. Every table TPA releases breaths cold empty hars 3D looks, no artistic feeling, it's just not there. There is a focus on making money, production. We can make a thousand posts about their artwork, but it's not going to happen, unless someone wakes up at FarSight and realize the graphics quality is mediocre at best.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Well, those screenies look equally bad. Perhaps the GPU is to blame.

I'm guessing your joking, but in case you aren't those screens don't really show just how much better Zen looks. For these newer TPA tables the difference is night and day.
It isn't just the graphics though. Zen runs smoother, has better flipper interaction, almost no glitches, better presentation, better menus, more options, more camera views, more control options, better leaderboards, better friend/score comparisons. Zen is a much better product on nearly every level. The only thing TPA has on Zen is that they are re-creating real tables and Zen is creating originals.

Not just that, but their community interaction and communication is worlds better than Farsights. Go post a question on their forum and their community manager will respond quickly. If she doesn't know the answer she takes it to the team and returns with an answer. As glitches or issues are mentioned other team members (programmers, designers etc...) will acknowledge them and respond. They actually care about the community and listen. Whereas Farsight basically just ****s on us and if they do bother to say anything it's usually to make an excuse for something.

If Zen were the one re-creating these classic tables you can bet the quality of TPA would be orders of magnitude better than what Farsight has shown they're capable of.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Well, those screenies look equally bad. Perhaps the GPU is to blame.

The GPu was good enough for Apple IPAds? , so why would point at it , I did my research it's GPU and with a 4 core CPU helping , blows many current devices out of the water. The problem I suspect is FarSight isnt tapping it to display graphics , the progamming they use is only running from the CPU processor. Which is not sadly by choice but I suspect because they dont know how to fully tap into the GPU.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
It seems to me that they are no longer actually optimizing a Vita version, but are just porting over an Android phone version and basically just letting it run as-is without any improvements or fixes.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
It seems to me that they are no longer actually optimizing a Vita version, but are just porting over an Android phone version and basically just letting it run as-is without any improvements or fixes.

That's also possible , and if true shows how little they value Sony customers . It was fun for a while , but we will have to see if shaking the tree gets us better Vita updates , or whether we have to warn Vita owners how bad the DLC s are , until things improve.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I don't see the Vita version improving any time soon, if ever. I have been complaining about the bad quality of this game for almost an entire year now.
Crushed Turtle has been running his bug topic forever and has also forwarded it off to them to make sure they are aware and we still have nothing from them.

Not only is it not being fixed, it is getting much, much worse. They don't fix it, they don't respond to it and they don't care about the quality of it. The only thing they seem to care about is releasing more ****ty tables and expecting us to buy them.

monty22001

Dec 28, 2012
I have to agree with metalzoic. It's clearly a minimal effort thing and they probably only do it because Sony had it in their contract that it had to be PS3 and Vita.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
My god. I've been playing on Vita almost exclusively lately, and although I've been aware the fidelity has been lacking, staring at those static images for a few moments REALLY drives the point home.

Look at Serling, on the playfield below the right ramp. Just a blurry mess, along with pretty much the entire base playfield images on all the tables (ESPECIALLY the recent ones).
Then, the playfield objects that are LESS blurry, but jaggy and low-res... creating this nightmare contrast of jaggies and blurriness.

Others have already stated well enough that the Vita is perfectly capable of far better than this. It is nearly as powerful as a PS3. There are plenty of fine examples of this.

Just wow.

I mean, thanks for making this cross-buy, but I don't want cross-buy if it means the Vita gets rushed, uncared for ports. I'd much rather actually pay twice and have the quality.

And for those that think this is far too much nitpicking and we should just enjoy the game (and the games DO mostly PLAY well, despite the look)... keep in mind that Farsight's pledge was "exact recreations". We're only asking that they try to live up to their own claims.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
I should add that, granted, these graphical issues are MUCH MORE apparent on these screenshots, viewing them in much larger proportion on a computer monitor.

It isn't QUITE as horrific on the Vita itself, but still....

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
I should add that, granted, these graphical issues are MUCH MORE apparent on these screenshots, viewing them in much larger proportion on a computer monitor.

It isn't QUITE as horrific on the Vita itself, but still....

I do agree that the static images do make it look a tiny bit worse than it actually is, but I still feel they are an incredibly fair representation of how bad some of the tables are. Additionally, the still shot of RBION would face the same degradation as the others but it still manages to look as good as it does on the system.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
For a low cost portable device ~$250, what can you expect? iPad retina has to be the way to go.

Umm.. you do realize the Vita blows the iPad out of the water right? iPad = Dual Core, Vita Quad Core (Sure the iPad has a Retina display, but so does the $199 Kindle Fire HD...
so enjoy your over-priced iPad.

My point was do not blame the technology, blame the developer.

This is #&%@#$ sad!
1NyWPFT.jpg

It looks like Farsight took every texture in the game and saved it as a JPEG on [QUALITY: 1] in Photoshop.
And no.. Farsight does NOT have time to make this right they are hard at work on the new Ouya version and cranking out various $2 ball skins and $5 Pro Modes.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Kiss_Pinball_-_2001_-_Take_2_Interactive.jpg

very old generation 2 Playstation one game KISS and the Psycho Circus Pinball , how does this quality compare to Scared Stiff Vita table? I'd say the newer 2013 release is uglier than a table released in 2001 , 12 years ago for a system that was already 3 years old. The game Kiss Pinball scored 1/10 according to it's wiki page .

Last edited:

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts