The Pinball Arcade Is On Its Way To The Windows 8 Marketplace!!!

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
While many are still waiting for Valve to release The Pinball Arcade on Steam, FarSight will be submitting The Pinball Arcade to Microsoft soon for inclusion in the Windows 8 Marketplace. This version will be playable on all devices and desktops running Windows 8 including Surface tablets and phones. I don't currently have anything running Windows 8, but it's good to see that The Pinball Arcade will finally get some exposure on the PC platform sooner rather than later.

N

Nik Barbour

I had to recently replace (not by choice) the family's ageing Vista laptop, with a cheap but ok-ish spec Win8 laptop.

While I actually quite like Windows 8 now I've got used to it, one of the first things I wanted to try was Zen PBFX2 which is also available in the win 8 store.
Downloaded it, fired it up, started 'Mars' which is free to play, and was so under whelmed I haven't bothered since for 2 months.
I'm personally comparing Zen to the xbox and Android versions which I own both of, and graphically it's better on Android (by a lot) than it is for win8 PC.

Of course I probably will give TPA a go on Win 8, but I'm thinking it will be the same disappointment that Zen is on there.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
my thoughts extactly nik considering its going to scale from arm based to pc, its probably similar to the mac os x port for now. if they added proper controller support to this version its incentive enough for me, like nudging.

i guess we need to wait for the publisher for the most advanced version.

anyway...ive got an addiction to firepower and im cursing the nudging lol

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
More platforms more problems.

yet it opens it to a huge pc market from low end to high end at least with this version, more profit more rescources more backported improvements.

negative nelly,

only platform i truely think is a waste is oyua...im sure many would disgaree lol but yeah

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

...ive got an addiction to firepower

Man, I'm exactly the same. I didn't think I'd play this much having had it on WPHOF, but the tuning is so good on TPA. I can't stop myself (despite the multiball bug). I think I have a problem!

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I'll look forward to hearing more info on this as it becomes available. This is positive news for the PC release, people! :D

Big problem for me (as I'm sure many will share) is that I am quite happy with Win7 Pro, and don't see me moving to Win8 anytime soon.

Can anyone share any info on how the Windows 8 Marketplace works? i.e. would it be possible to (silly question alert!) to transfer TPA from Win8 to Win7?

Perhaps putting Win8 on another drive would get around the problem?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
This version will be playable on all devices and desktops running Windows 8 including Surface tablets and phones.

Also, are there different versions of an app which are hardware dependent? I mean, surely what's capable on a decent spec Windows 8 PC, would not also run on a phone.

ravager

Jul 20, 2012
Man, I'm exactly the same. I didn't think I'd play this much having had it on WPHOF, but the tuning is so good on TPA. I can't stop myself (despite the multiball bug). I think I have a problem!

Firepower was my go to table for so many years. The bugs do suck, but I still love the TPA version! So much fun...

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
My HTPC is running Windows 8, so this will be interesting. If they will be releasing on Microsoft store in the same manner as they do on Android and IOS I can satisfy my thirst until release is due on PS3, except if the version on Windows will be better. Then I might switch platform.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
This is positive news for the PC release, people! :D

Not at all, IF this is just another TPA Light version.
Sorry, but I'm so sick of all these Light versions....
I don't have a PC to play such games... it's 2013 and they are similar to the ones
I played 15 years ago.

Farsight can do this on mobile devices to reach more people.
But it s*cks to see light versions on the PC & Mac.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Not at all, IF this is just another TPA Light version.
It shouldn't be, the PC beta for Twilight Zone that I tested a while ago looked like the 360 screenshots. The 360 and Windows PC share code libraries (specifically DirectX) for graphics processing, so TPA should look very similar on either system.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Hopefully they add some extra graphics options for PC (i.e. higher res textures, G.I. Lighting, more shadows, etc.) since a lot of PC gamers have better hardware than what the 360 is packing.

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
Ugh. I do not want to upgrade to Windows 8. I'm gonna try to hold out for Steam to end the greenlight process, or perhaps Farsight's new XBox 360 publisher can get them on Steam. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

karl

May 10, 2012
I can understand they want to get it out there and win 8 is probably the easy way out for Farsight. I am only hoping desperately that if they do get it out on win 8 they will not sit and do nothing to get it out to all of us that do not want to install Windows 8. To be frank I would rather pay for another console than install windows 8, but I feel this route will force me to do just that, or wait another year to play on steam. It will probably be out on the next gen consoles before steam. Sorry for sounding negative but I was hoping they would choose another platform to get the pc ver out than win 8

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Yeah, I'll hold my breath at least until it is released. Given that a lot of what I'm looking for in the PC release won't be there up front (cabinet support, namely) I'll wait at least until subsequent updates give me everything I'm looking for. If it *still* hasn't found its way to XP or Win7 by then, I'll consider the upgrade.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Hopefully the game will run well on a Microsoft Surface Pro. It really is a fantastic device and easily has sufficient hardware to run the game. If the game does come out for Windows 8, it would be sufficient to push me into upgrading my gaming rig too.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Wanna hear something funny? Doing a Windows 8 version wasn't FarSight's idea. They were literally getting hounded by Microsoft to see if a Win 8 version would be made. Which is funny considering all the hassles MS has given them with Xbox. Obviously MS needs content for Win 8 platforms.

Members online

Members online