Change HAREM to a Wizard Goal

Master Magician

Feb 14, 2013
Why? Because I've beaten the Genie, rescued the Princess, and I'm still stuck on Standard Goals because HAREM is nigh impossible to spell. Every other nickel and dime challenge locks out the ramp. I've gotten to the final battle numerous times, yet havent ever spelled more than "H -A - " Its far more difficult than killing the genie

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
It was much easier (though still unreasonably difficult) in the Hall of Fame collection because you'd accidentally hit the Genie less, causing fewer Harem shots to lock the ball instead.

On TPA I had rescued the princess twice in the same game before unlocked the Harem multiball for the first time!

Master Magician

Feb 14, 2013
Read this and see if it helps.

It doesnt. I read that before posting here. I'm not that kind of player. When it says "Try not to..." I'll hit it. When it says "Aim for..." I'll miss it. There's various levels of pinball players. The white-knuckle Professional Force-using superman is definitely who I am not. My ability begins and ends with "Dont let ball go down drain, shoot at anything so long as the ball doesnt die. If you see the extra ball lite up, try to aim in that general direction and maybe you'll be lucky with your 12th attempt."
I dont beat the Genie out of accuracy. I beat him because I refuse to give up and refuse to let the ball die.
HAREM is counter to that playstyle. "Aim for the ramp to spell HAREM, but not when the lock is lit, before you activate any missions, wait for all timers to run out, and never on a Tuesday while wearing white socks."
Why is the shot so much harder than spelling THEATER in TOM? Its the same idea. Even if Vanish is lit, you still get credit for the loop.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
It doesnt. I read that before posting here. I'm not that kind of player. When it says "Try not to..." I'll hit it. When it says "Aim for..." I'll miss it. There's various levels of pinball players. The white-knuckle Professional Force-using superman is definitely who I am not. My ability begins and ends with "Dont let ball go down drain, shoot at anything so long as the ball doesnt die. If you see the extra ball lite up, try to aim in that general direction and maybe you'll be lucky with your 12th attempt."
I dont beat the Genie out of accuracy. I beat him because I refuse to give up and refuse to let the ball die.
HAREM is counter to that playstyle. "Aim for the ramp to spell HAREM, but not when the lock is lit, before you activate any missions, wait for all timers to run out, and never on a Tuesday while wearing white socks."
Why is the shot so much harder than spelling THEATER in TOM? Its the same idea. Even if Vanish is lit, you still get credit for the loop.

This sounds like a cry for help. You must begin your journey to becoming a PINBALL WIZARD. Let your old ways go and embrace the WIZARD way. It is your density.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
This sounds like a cry for help. You must begin your journey to becoming a PINBALL WIZARD. Let your old ways go and embrace the WIZARD way. It is your density.

But that's the name of the thread. HAREM should be a -wizard goal- not a regular goal. :p

That said, if I'd known that waiting for that light to "burn out" was the way to avoid getting a tiger loop instead of a HAREM letter, I would surely have gotten it way more easy. See, that's the consequences of not being able to see what all the little signs say. This is probably the biggest weakness TPA has, compared to real tables. Way too limited camera options.

Master Magician

Feb 14, 2013
The irony is that I've likely passed most (if not all) the wizard goals already by beating the genie, wizard goals that I have never seen and have no idea what they are because I'm stuck on a measly STANDARD goal even after having beaten the rest of the game :/

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012

I used to play a lot like this. I'm still no pinball expert, but I've transformed quite a bit. Start cradling the ball more on the flipper, waiting for it to settle, and then attempting to make specific shots. If you keep at it, you WILL get better, but it'll take some practice.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
My ability begins and ends with "Dont let ball go down drain, shoot at anything so long as the ball doesnt die.

I feel for you mate, I really do. It was a B**CH to get for me. What I did was play games with the SOLE intention of getting HAREM. It''ll teach you to have better control over your flippers and hone your aiming skills if you take a similar route. It'll be frustrating as all hell. But you'll end up with bounce passes (where you'll let the ball hit the left flipper and bounce to the right to trap the ball on the correct flipper) and post passes (where you quickly activate the left flipper that has the ball trapped on it, to hit the lower post of the slingshot and "pass" the ball to the right flipper to trap and aim your shot) in your pinball arsenal, and then it'll become a different and MUCH more rewarding game to play.

Stick with it mate, you CAN do it.

I found ToTAN to be a very giving game once I'd learned to do some, I guess "advanced" flipper control (not that I'm an expert by any means, quite average actually) buit just passing on what I KNOW will make your time with ToTAN - and all the other tables come to think of it - a more rewarding experience.

Last edited:

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Wait until you move on to other tables with Wizard goals 20X harder than HAREM. It will come to you, you will need to relax. I have stepped my play up over the last two weeks for some reason (maybe the tournament helped?). It feels good, especially since starting to play this game last July. For instance, I had trouble with the Super Jackpots in HD3, don't play it much but was frustrated with them. Sat down for 30 mintes today with the sole purpose of beating them, and did. Key will be relaxing and as stated above, focusing on the shots. If they are not there at the time, just keep playing and come back to the specific shots later.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Oh wow, I didn't realise the tiger loop light would go out! I actually beat this by miraculously hitting the loop after ball launches in a really great game where I had a load of extra balls, but unfortunately I was "guest user" so I have to do them all over again. I still find it tricky to hit that loop and I often need a few tries so it still feels like a "wizard goal" to me regardless.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
It undoubtedly SHOULD be a Wizard goal, no question. The Wizard goal of getting an extra ball and standard goal of activating Harem multiball should be reversed.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Jedi George McFly.
Last night Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't become a PINBALL WIZARD, he'd melt my brain.

But that's the name of the thread. HAREM should be a -wizard goal- not a regular goal. :p
Yeah I agree on that, it should be a wizard goal. But also Master Magician wants to be a better player and needs to take the leap to learning strategies and how to consistently aim for shots. You go Master M!

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
It undoubtedly SHOULD be a Wizard goal, no question. The Wizard goal of getting an extra ball and standard goal of activating Harem multiball should be reversed.
Couldn't agree more. Getting an extra ball is pretty simple on this table. Unfortunately, it would probably turn out that this couldn't be done without resetting everyone's goals.

IronSabbath88

Feb 21, 2013
Oh god I cannot tell you how much HAREM multiball just eludes me. ELUDES me. I swear this table holds a grudge against me.

I got H-A-R-E on Ball 3 with 2 extra balls. Do you think I got that M?

LOLNOPE says that damn yellow post on the side of the ramp. I swear everytime I hit that thing it goes STRAIGHT down the center and drains. Gah.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I know this is one of the hardest of the standard goals...however...try and get 250,000 on Big Shot and then I think you will re-assess whether hitting an orbit 5 times really qualifies as a wizard goal.

It eluded me for a long time as well but now I can do this in my sleep. Slow up and play a few games concentrating ONLY on this goal. Voila it's yours. Really...just don't hit the Genie for locks. And once you hit the loop, just stall the ball and get it onto the right flipper and wait.

How i get this at will now is that I'm actually trying more for tiger loops all the time. Honestly, when you're in a rush to hit the tiger loops, watch how hard they get...then, to your frustration, before you know it. The HAREM light is on and you're collecting letters...no joke.

Should "get an extra ball" be a wizard goal though? Nope. Shouldn't be but neither should HAREM multiball.
I know you don't want to hear the old "don't hit this and hit that" routine...but really that's like saying you're thirsty but don't want to hear "drink some water".

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
I know this is one of the hardest of the standard goals...however...try and get 250,000 on Big Shot and then I think you will re-assess whether hitting an orbit 5 times really qualifies as a wizard goal.

It eluded me for a long time as well but now I can do this in my sleep. Slow up and play a few games concentrating ONLY on this goal. Voila it's yours. Really...just don't hit the Genie for locks. And once you hit the loop, just stall the ball and get it onto the right flipper and wait.

How i get this at will now is that I'm actually trying more for tiger loops all the time. Honestly, when you're in a rush to hit the tiger loops, watch how hard they get...then, to your frustration, before you know it. The HAREM light is on and you're collecting letters...no joke.

Should "get an extra ball" be a wizard goal though? Nope. Shouldn't be but neither should HAREM multiball.
I know you don't want to hear the old "don't hit this and hit that" routine...but really that's like saying you're thirsty but don't want to hear "drink some water".

There are a few tables with EB as a wizard goal. Not sure why over all the things. OP-my bane is the Mosh Pit on MB. I have played the game about 250 times the past two days (along with the hundreds of times previously over the months) and can't come close to solving it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.