Scoring question...

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
While I admit that the table can be very addictive at times, what is the reason behind the bonus value going up on ball 4 and 5? Sometimes I have great first balls but if you screw up at #4 and #5 you will only have a mediocre final score.

Have other EM tables been like that as well?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I think Gootliebs Top Score pin had a double bonus on the fifth ball. I'm sure there were others. But I'm not a very big fan of this type of uneven scoring. Unless I have a big ball five, them I'm OK with it. ;)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Many EM tables offer increased bonus (usually double bonus, although a few like Big Shot increase the base value instead) on the final ball.

I assume this is so that a player in competition who is behind still has a chance to catch up on the last ball, which theoretically would make things more exciting. In practice, I generally just find it annoying, especially if the last ball is a house ball.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It's still pretty important to rack up big scores on as many balls as possible. I've had games where I've set up some pretty high scores where i've had really great runs on the first 3 balls and done absolute tripe on the fourth and fifth.

I dont' know why the scoring is like that.
Almost on topic...why do some tables have targets that score 100,010 points or something to that effect? That's just weird

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Almost on topic...why do some tables have targets that score 100,010 points or something to that effect? That's just weird
Because the last two digits are traditionally used for match, so some targets (usually bumpers) have a small number of points added to them to get some variation going. Of course, the match is usually not random and can be operator-controlled, so this is more an illusion than anything.

This is also why games with per-switch bonus like Monster Bash tend to use non-round numbers - MB uses 370 per switch unless Lyman's Lament is activated.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I had thought of that pretty well as soon as i hit submit...which is funny because i've been scratching my head about it for a month or two now.

At least i have confirmation now.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
yep, it 's intended to keep things interesting in real life multiplayer play. sorta like Family Feud, but with less Richard Dawson kisses.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.