What do the Star Lamps signify?

N

netizen

I can't find this in the instructions or online. The most I could find was a setting in the ROM that allows for them to be lit initially, or to stay lit etc.

If one were to look at the table and see the Star Lamp(s) lit, what information is the table communicating to the player?

The Star Lamps are the two stars to the right of the bonus multiplier lamps on the lower playfield just below the big bonus Gorgar dude.

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
As far as I can tell just from playing. The first time you complete the 1-4 targets, it lights one star; the second time through the now flashing 1-4, it lights the next star; then the floating arrow starts cycling through on the 1-4 targets awarding an extra ball if hit. So I guess they give you a visual clue about where you are in that progression. Like the bonus they re-set each ball, which is what I assume the switches you mention control; meaning whether you are gifted with completed sets towards an EB or if they carry over from ball to ball.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Completing the A,B,C (top), D, and E (out lanes) awards the next unlit 1-4 target too, so at first I was convinced that was what was lighting the stars until I realized that it didn't always do it ... guess I must have only noticed when I completed those and they lit the last 1-4 light I needed.

I may be wrong. I don't have an instruction manual. As I said, just taking a best guess based on playing the TPA version. I've played the table in RL but that was over 20 years ago and my memory isn't any where near that good.

Last edited:

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
i am pretty sure the star lamps stay lit through multiple balls. never been able to figure out what they mean.

N

netizen

i am pretty sure the star lamps stay lit through multiple balls. never been able to figure out what they mean.

Not only between multiple balls, but between multiple players as well.

There seem to be 2 or three things that light them, and I think Pop Sgt is on the right track that they may signify the completed number of 1-4 targets before you only have to do them 1 time to get the flashing/moving target for the extra ball, but if that's the case why the carry over from ball to ball and player to player?

I can understand the awarding of them for completing 1-4 targets, and occasionally D+E rollovers, as they award a 1-4 target, but they are also awarded for getting the full Snakepit Bonus too then this raises some possible questions, eh.

Perhaps if anyone has access to a physical Gorgar they can compare the behaviour in how they are awarded?

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I've been trying to complete the "max bonus award" Wizard Goal (again) and Pop Sgt is right that they light when you complete the 1-2-3-4 targets. Nice to know there's other ways to light them up as well; no doubt I did that when I got the goal as "guest" during the time I wasn't using my Farsight Login (hence doing it all again).

I'm glad they persist across balls as it's hard enough trying to light the rollovers twice on one ball!

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
I can verify that Pop Sergeant is mostly correct. It is 1-2-3-4 that lights a star. Completing 1-2-3-4 when both stars are lit (that's three times) starts the rotating extra ball target.

Completing 1-2-3-4 also lights the snake pit for its top score, which may be where Carl is confused.

Progress for 1-2-3-4 (and lit stars) does carry over from ball to ball. Logically, there should be separate progress for each player, but I don't have a physical Gorgar to test.

The A-B-C (bonus multiplier) and D-E (spot 1-2-3-4) groups are independent of each other.

Here is the instruction card link at ipdb:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1062/Williams_1979_Gorgar_Reproduction_Score_and_Instruction_Cards.zip

Last edited:

funchords

May 13, 2017
(years later)

After reading this thread, I've been trying to accomplish this for hours on my Wii version of Gorgar (published by Farsight). My skills did improve at hitting the targets, but I could never hit the rotating target before running out of balls.

According to the instructions on the Wii version, hitting the 1-2-3-or-4 target that has the sequentially-flashing arrow lights light should result in a Special, which on the Wii version of their tables is usually a credit. One thing that I learned in trying to do this is that if you're far enough in the game to see the rotating arrows, you've already likely racked up a credit based on score alone.

The D-E lanes only sometimes spot a 1-2-3-4 on my Wii. Now I read this

The A-B-C (bonus multiplier) and D-E (spot 1-2-3-4) groups are independent of each other.

That's probably what happens. I'm completing D-E which results in getting the spot. I'm just not noticing that D is lit when I get E and vice-versa.

It's a fun little table. I still need to accomplish this to complete all of the objectives and unlock the options.

Members online

Members online