TPAF Audio Interview With Bobby King (Round 1)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Earlier today, I had the pleasure of interviewing Bobby King, Lead Designer from Farsight Studios.

Here's the audio...

Youtube version:

MP3 Download:

Mirror 1

Mirror 2

I apologize that I sound a bit under the weather. It doesn't help that I was out too late last night too :). Plus I tend to mumble anyway...I never claimed to have a good radio voice, heh.

Last edited:

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
Really looking forward to this. Thanks, Jeff, for conducting the interview, and thanks Bobby, for taking the time to answer the community's questions.

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
So far I'm about 8 minutes in and this is all excellent news. Sounds like the PC (Steam) version may be coming before too long!

Edit:

Just finished listening. Lots and lots of great news in this interview. From the sound of it, it seems we need to be perhaps more organized in our logging of bugs, art issues and sound issues on a per table basis so that the guys at Farsight can just reference one thread rather than having to dig through the forums. Maybe we should have a master bug/art issue list for each table in that table's respective forum? I've noticed lots of minute issues (for example, the missing nut on the upper end of the right slingshot in TZ for mobile) that I've never bothered to report because it always seems like there's bigger fish to fry.

The news about Black Knight and Gottlieb emulation is fantastic. Really looking forward to that. Also looking forward to the new polls.

It's great that Bobby is willing to be so open and forthcoming. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for putting together this interview.

Looks like Steam is pretty much a done deal. Now I just need a SteamBox. (It won't be a Piston!)

Very sad news for console owners, but then nothing we really didn't expect. Short version: don't expect too many updates or fixes.

It'll be interesting to see if the PC version does use a much better lighting model (i.e. point lighting), same as the "hypothetical" next-gen consoles.

Also, I wonder if the Mac version will ever be brought up to speed, to use the PC codebase? Right now, the Mac version is a low-effort port of the iOS code.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Re: Sound

The knocker sound in its current iteration is awful. I've always hated it. I would prefer the knocker sound you get on Visual Pinball.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thank-you to everyone involved in making this interview happen. I was a bit disappoint to hear more about systems that aren't even official yet when there are numerous problems on the PS Vita, but that can be a question for next time.

I ordered the questions by the number of votes they received, plus I kept Bobby past the allotted time (he originally said 15-20 minutes), so it's the best I could do.

karl

May 10, 2012
Way beyond cool Jeff!
The most chocking news: There actually might be hope regarding Steam :D
Lots and lots of other promising news also.
Great Interview and you did an excellent job on using the right words on hard to ask questions.
Big thanks to Bobby for agreeing on doing this and being as straight forward as he was.
Really hope this can be done again soonish.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
I ordered the questions by the number of votes they received, plus I kept Bobby past the allotted time, so it's the best I could do.

Please don't think I was being critical of what you have done here as I am very appreciative that you took the time to do all these poll topics and especially this interview. The questions with the most votes certainly do deserve to be asked first.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
It's great to hear what you doing like Jeff. Great interview and great reveals.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Excellent interview and informative insight on what we can expect for The Pinball Arcade in the near future. Thanks goes out to both Jeff and Bobby for taking the time to put this together.

Also, thanks for the shout out! :)

News article upcoming...

fenderbendr

Dec 1, 2012
Thanks for hosting this interview, Jeff, it was much appreciated.

Good news about ball spin and that they have tried to implement it. Hopefully they'll be able to fine tune it enough to work it in to the new tables eventually.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts