Emulation

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Hold on. If they do emulation in these tables, then the Pinball Hall of Fame release on the 3DS would be impossible? Or difficult?

The Pinball Hall of Fame on the 3DS will more than likely start out with Big Shot, Black Hole, Black knight, Central Park, Firepower, Genie and Gorgar.

The only add-ons the 3DS may get are EM tables (which must be scripted no matter what) and earlier SS tables that may be easily scripted as well.

I'm glad FarSight decided to emulate all Solid State tables as this is the only way to play the tables the way they were meant to be played. It wouldn't make much business sense to deprive those who play on Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, OUYA, PC, PS3, PS Vita, Wii U and Xbox 360 from getting the best experience possible, which can only be accomplished by ROM emulating all Solid State tables, just so they can release these tables on the 3DS. Also, ROM emulating tables is less costly and time consuming than trying to script tables and having to go back to them time and time again to correct mistakes.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I'm glad FarSight decided to emulate all Solid State tables as this is the only way to play the tables the way they were meant to be played.

No the only way the tables were MEANT to be played was by finding a real table, and spending real money to play it.

I don't understand why somebody playing something in an emulated state should be elitist over someone else playing on another platform.
Fascist Virtual Pinballism sucks - accept some of us have a budget!

(Can't wait for emulated BK though!)

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
No the only way the tables were MEANT to be played was by finding a real table, and spending real money to play it.

I don't understand why somebody playing something in an emulated state should be elitist over someone else playing on another platform.

While I don't mind you responding to my post with your opinion, you may want to tone down your response a bit. Thanks.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012

While nothing virtual can match a real pinball machine, not everyone is blessed with working machines on location nearby, nor can everyone buy their own due to cash/space constraints.

As for emulated vs scripted, no one's being fascist. Emulated tables offer a more accurate experience. As someone who is programming the ruleset for a virtual table from scratch, I can tell you it's very difficult...and I don't have to meet the high standard of replicating an actual machine. While emulation brings its own challenges (see Cirqus Voltaire), in most cases it provides the better experience.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
While I don't mind you responding to my post with your opinion, you may want to tone down your response a bit. Thanks.

Same goes with your previous post. Tolerance Brother - Pinball for all! Not the few who can afford to buy a new platform each month.
Thanks.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Same goes with your previous post. Tolerance Brother - Pinball for all! Not the few who can afford to buy a new platform each month.
Thanks.

First of all, the cheapest 3DS is currently more expensive, or is priced equally, to many Android tablets than run The Pinball Arcade and most, if not all, of the emulated tables just fine...so I'm not really seeing your point on someone being on a budget. If that's the case, then why doesn't FarSight just dumb down the tables even more so that they run on the original Xbox and PS2 since not everyone has the latest system as you've clearly stated.

The one thing I didn't appreciate about your post was the fascism statement. One could interpret that as a personal attack, which I hope was not your intent.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
First of all, the cheapest 3DS is currently more expensive, or is priced equally, to many Android tablets than run The Pinball Arcade and most, if not all, of the emulated tables just fine...so I'm not really seeing your point on someone being on a budget. If that's the case, then why doesn't FarSight just dumb down the tables even more so that they run on the original Xbox and PS2 since not everyone has the latest system as you've clearly stated.

The one thing I didn't appreciate about your post was the fascism statement. One could interpret that as a personal attack, which I hope was not your intent.

Never - I don't even own a 3DS. But I don't appreciate someone saying they are glad someone else's platform of choice is less relevant than another's, when said person jumps from Android to Xbox to PS3 to WiiU and clearly has a bigger budget than others.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I think you missed PW's point....he's just saying that he's glad Farsight is emulating on the platforms they are able to because ROM emulation is much, much better than scripting.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I apologize for the misunderstanding, but you could have just asked me to explain my post in more detail and I would have glady done so. No hard feelings here.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I know PS2 has internet connectability but how would that work?I dont think you can log into PSN with it. :p

My original Xbox is still hooked up to my Cathode Ray Sony Wega in my front room here!
HD is for people with decent eyesight (or the sub 30's) - I don't need it.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Three months later, and no update, either in the game, or in the forums. What's going on? Were they lying to us?

Last edited:

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I know that re-doing BK won't bring in any additional income, but come on, you promised to fix this Farsight.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Maybe they will roll it out when they release T2.

An interesting idea I have is to make it so you need to buy the pro menu to play the emulated version. This way Farsight can make money off of it and they would have a reason to emulate Black Hole, Gorgar, Genie and Firepower as well.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012

An interesting idea I have is to make it so you need to buy the pro menu to play the emulated version. This way Farsight can make money off of it and they would have a reason to emulate Black Hole, Gorgar, Genie and Firepower as well.

So they can release broken garbage and then charge us to give what they should have to begin with?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012

Can't agree with that idea at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.