Emulation

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
A question for Mike, are you actively working on emulating Sterns SAM system? Or is it a matter of there's no way current systems can run it?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
A question for Mike, are you actively working on emulating Sterns SAM system? Or is it a matter of there's no way current systems can run it?

That's more of a question for Steve Ellenoff as he's the one that works on the emulation code.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I really want this too (+ pro pack for it).

Starting to wonder if it will happen.

It seems there can be many months between the "promise" of a fix and the fix being implemented in an update (because of the needed work, planning of update submissions, and so on...).

Let's take this statement about the washed colors for the PS3:

September, 12th, 2012:
"I am hoping to make a run through the ps3 lighting very soon. I apologize for the inconsistency in the lighting on the ps3. Keep pointing this stuff out guys, it keeps us motivated to always improve and fix our mistakes. "

It was about the washed colors on HD, NGG, and Taxi.

Eight months later (yep, eight months), the color saturation have been tweaked on HD and NGG with the last update. It looks better than before. The color saturation for Taxi is still crap though (no change... maybe in eight months! :p).

There is also the flipper lag... finally fixed last week, after that Farsight has declared working on it... many months ago.

The optimization for BK will come, for sure. But we have to be patient... very patient. ^^

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I really don't see them going back and fixing any of the old tables.
There is no money in it for them to fix the old tables we already own.

I think they tell us what we want to hear, but the promises are wearing a little thin.

There was also an answer to a question about how bad all of the PS Vita tables have been and they said something to the likes of "We have been exploring ways to fix this, but the only solution seems to be releasing a large DLC pack that addresses all of the tables in one go." I'd have to find the quote, but it was something to that effect.

I just don't see it happening. We would love to see it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Perhaps the next-gen versions will incorporate emulation? Or will they simply port the same old engine with higher-resolution textures and fancier lighting effects?

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
If BK does get rom emulation, I would expect it to be done accross all platforms which can be updated (mobile, mac, pc) otherwise I will not very pleased with Farsight.

TripleT

Sep 23, 2012
What sort of differences can we expect when emulation is added? People seem very eager for it.

Is the current table broken? Or missing features of the real table?

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
We plan to switch Black Knight over to being emulated instead of scripted in the next few months. That should fix the gameplay issues. When we do that overhaul, the artists will look into the art issues.

Any progress on this? Not trying to be snarky or sarcastic just wondering. I have a heck of a time getting that earn an extra ball lower playfield wizard goal. Havent tried THAT hard as I have been figuring it will be funner with a correctly working machine. I know for me this has the potential to be one of the best machines in the game.

Thanks to all you farsight guys for answering questions and mingling with us players :) you guys are awesome keep up the great work !

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Any progress on this? Not trying to be snarky or sarcastic just wondering. I have a heck of a time getting that earn an extra ball lower playfield wizard goal. Havent tried THAT hard as I have been figuring it will be funner with a correctly working machine. I know for me this has the potential to be one of the best machines in the game.

Thanks to all you farsight guys for answering questions and mingling with us players :) you guys are awesome keep up the great work !

Farsight. You guys do an amazing job but this is the one pin you have dropped the ball on. At least on iOS. I don't know how it plays on the other platforms. This should have been taken care of a long time ago. It is an important pin in the history of the game and deserves better treatment. I have been playing Pinball Arcade daily for about 3 years now and own all the games. This is the only pin that I can say is unplayable in its current state. I am not going to restate all the issues with this machine on iOS as you are already aware of them. Please fix these issues by emulating the game as soon as possible. It should be one of your top priorities even though it won't directly generate any revenue for you. Given the delay in fixing this game it would be nice if you could incorporate the new flipper physics into it. As one of the many people who fully support this company by buying every pin you put out, and giving substantial amounts of money to your Kickstarter campaigns, you owe it to all of your loyal supporters to respond to this issue. By the way, more EMs please. Fireball and El Dorado are great. Thanks.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Farsight. You guys do an amazing job but this is the one pin you have dropped the ball on. At least on iOS. I don't know how it plays on the other platforms. This should have been taken care of a long time ago. It is an important pin in the history of the game and deserves better treatment. I have been playing Pinball Arcade daily for about 3 years now and own all the games. This is the only pin that I can say is unplayable in its current state. I am not going to restate all the issues with this machine on iOS as you are already aware of them. Please fix these issues by emulating the game as soon as possible. It should be one of your top priorities even though it won't directly generate any revenue for you. Given the delay in fixing this game it would be nice if you could incorporate the new flipper physics into it. As one of the many people who fully support this company by buying every pin you put out, and giving substantial amounts of money to your Kickstarter campaigns, you owe it to all of your loyal supporters to respond to this issue. By the way, more EMs please. Fireball and El Dorado are great. Thanks.

This issue is well known and we will emulate it when we can which should resolve all bugs with the table.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I must admit that I would dearly love to see BK brought up to the standard of more recent additions to TPA from a similar era. Centaur, for example, plays very closely to the Centaur machine I own. I still have a BK as well, but it may as well be a different game to the TPA version, given how far apart the gameplay is at present. It really is the only table in TPA that lets the side down.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.