Emulation

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
We plan to switch Black Knight over to being emulated instead of scripted in the next few months. That should fix the gameplay issues. When we do that overhaul, the artists will look into the art issues.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Shouldnt be hard all you got to do is LOOK. Good news. The WPHOF version looked almost perfect only thing missing is the screws on the inlanes, that in 1080p would be acceptable.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
This was great to hear in the recent interview with Bobby. I was wondering if you guys now plan to ROM emulate the rest of the older solid state tables such as Gorgar, Firepower, Black Hole, Space Shuttle, etc. since you having been working on emulating the older MPU's? I understand that all EM tables will continue to be scripted (which I have no problem with), but I was just wondering what the plan is now for current and future pre 1985 solid state tables.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
We plan to emulate any tables we make going forward, that can be emulated. Doing tables we already released is a bit of work, so it'll depend on management's decisions on which ones to do and when. BK in particular needs it cause of the bugs.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
We plan to emulate any tables we make going forward, that can be emulated. Doing tables we already released is a bit of work, so it'll depend on management's decisions on which ones to do and when. BK in particular needs it cause of the bugs.

Thanks Mike...that really puts a smile on my face and I'm glad to hear that you guys haven't completely ruled out ROM emulating Black Hole, Firepower, Genie and Gorgar.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Do you know if any of the fixes will make the upper left flipper a bit more visible? It's a bit blocked by that long plastic bit.
Very exited to hear BK is getting some love. One of my favorites, so thanks to all of you there on the hard work.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Thank you Mike. I really appreciate it that you've decided to emulate BK. If you need fresh photos, scans of the artwork or anything, just ask. My BK isn't in the best shape but it is complete and working (or at least it was last time I turned it on).

I agree with grashopper's post above. If you can lower the top plastic that mostly obscures the upper left flipper, that would be great. PHOF had the visible geometry almost perfect.

I look forward to testing/playing it sometime. :)

N

Nik Barbour

Can't wait for this - and once emulated, hopefully a pro pack for operator settings.
(also - until custom cameras are done, a closer upper playfield cam)
Thanks Guys! - really appreciate this being revisited :)

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
As a Black Hole owner in real life, I feel like TPA's BH is close enough to the real thing now that emulation isn't worth the effort! (BK is of course another matter:) )

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
As a Black Hole owner in real life, I feel like TPA's BH is close enough to the real thing now that emulation isn't worth the effort! (BK is of course another matter:) )
Quiet, they might hear you! The TPA version is still missing the extra voices, and though it isn't a rom issue, the lower playfield flippers are completely wrong. They should either be shorter, or farther apart, with a post in the middle.

It's good to know that all SS tables going forward will be emulated, but it sucks that they're not going to retrofit any others besides BK.

karl

May 10, 2012
Great news Mike. Black Knight is the nr 1 table to fix. The rest will follow eventually. This is great news for any future late 70' early 80' tables.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Hopefully this also means that Centaur and any other Bally tables of that era (Fathom please) will also be emulated. :)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm hoping this means that all solid state table releases will be ROM emulated from here on out with only electro-mechanical table releases being scripted. While I'm more than happy to see Black Knight being updated with full ROM emulation first, I'm hoping the other four released scripted solid state tables will be updated as well in the near future.

Here's the order I'd like to see the other four scripted solid state tables updated with full ROM emulation :

1) Firepower
2) Black Hole
3) Gorgar
4) Genie

FarSight, please make this happen!

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I agree with that order, although I expect Gorgar will come before Black Hole simply because the emulation for BK, FP and Gorgar are so similar.

Still, I'd written off our chances of seeing any of the early-SS games emulated, so all this has come as a very welcome surprise.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I would be happy with Gorgar if they just had the drop targets stay down a little longer when you complete them. As it is, when you complete a set of drop targets, they go back up immediately, and you hit some of them with the same shot you used to complete them. And it just shouldn't be that way.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Hold on. If they do emulation in these tables, then the Pinball Hall of Fame release on the 3DS would be impossible? Or difficult?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.