Too Hard?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Just got the 1,000 point goal. Got 1,310 on the very first ball. Ended with 5,056, which isn't very good considering that first ball.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah in the end it can be a grand total of 20 balls.

The high scores seem geared to the extra balls being on, and thankfully capped.

The actual score display was not designed to see multiple thousands though. I mean it's a light that turns on when you break 1000, which would be an accomplishment in and of itself with only 5 balls.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I suppose that if extra balls are on by default, this really ought to be "Hurdy Gurdy", which was the add-a-ball version of Central Park. Hurdy Gurdy had four actual digit counters, and IPDB says that operators sometimes modded it to add a fifth! So I suppose what we're experiencing has some historical support.

SilverBallFiend

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah this isn't the Add-a-ball version (Hurdy Gurdy), thus why they needed to put a cap on Extra Balls. I guess that's one way to do it.

Better way would have been to just make Hurdy Gurdy Lol.

Thnikkaman

Sep 28, 2012
The more I play this game, the more I like it. I was pretty high in the leaderboards at one point, but I imagine I've lost some ground by now. My score was somewhere around 5600 if I remember right. It can be hard, but once you get the extra balls coming, it stretches out. I have managed the 1000 in one ball goal, too.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Someone good at this table needs to start a tips and strategies thread. Takes me too many balls to get to the special and cannot stop the mean drains with nudging.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Someone good at this table needs to start a tips and strategies thread. Takes me too many balls to get to the special and cannot stop the mean drains with nudging.

You are an iOS player like me and the main problem is that there is no forward nudge. So there is only so much you can do once the ball gets to the bottom of the table. Try to nudge more up top to keep the ball up in the bumper area as long as you can. Bobby King said in Jeff's 2nd interview that they are working on upward nudge, so that should help when they do implement it.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
You are an iOS player like me and the main problem is that there is no forward nudge. So there is only so much you can do once the ball gets to the bottom of the table. Try to nudge more up top to keep the ball up in the bumper area as long as you can. Bobby King said in Jeff's 2nd interview that they are working on upward nudge, so that should help when they do implement it.

That would be amazing. I thought I had become a bit better at nudging lately, so I came back tot this table to test it (along with Big Shot) and found I suck. LOL

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Judging by your high scores, you must be doing something right. :)

I had a few in the 6K range when it first came out. Now, I either score 900 or 4-5K no matter what I do. These two tables (BS and CP) rely heavily on nudging with imperfect ability on iOS and tables that are sensitive in the first place. Lately with drains down the middle of CP, if I nudge, it goes straight down, if I don't and try to let it hit something, it goes straight down. Pure guessing game. (sorry, yea, I get frustrated easily). Too bad these are the only two tables to play right now because there is no camera bug, ball sticking bug, or some other crazy thing that the ROM won't allow you to do.

Captain Chris

Jun 6, 2012
I just scored over 5,000 points last night on this table. The only wizard goal I have left is to score 1000 points on a ball, haha...good luck with that. Lots of nudging!

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
One strategy that helps me is to do no nudging on a table until I've gotten all the goals (at least the standard goals, and usually most of the wizard goals). With that, I really become familiar with the paths and patterns of the ball and when to make crossing shots and shots on the fly, and later you can recognize when a nudge is needed. If I start nudgling on a table right from the get go, I'm always primed ready to nudge and I think that actually slows my skills. Once you get good scores without nudging, add it in and watch out.

atari2600

Mar 3, 2013
i played this game for the first time today on PS3. on my first game got 900, unlocked two wizard goals and i only flipped the ball twice. lol. oh yeah and a high score trophy.
first impressions not good.

edit: on my second game i got 4016 and lost track of how many extra balls i got. its growing on me.

Last edited:

Mad07

Feb 13, 2013
Try to nudge more up top to keep the ball up in the bumper area as long as you can.
It doesn't help: I've try it yesterday and I received less points as without.

But nevertheless: Yes got it! and that 2 times in a game [ after X days/weeks? without success]

Last edited:

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
I play on Vita and nudging rarely helps, and often tilts. On the other hand, with no EOB bonuses to lose, it really doesn't hurt much to tilt if you're going to lose the ball anyway. 10 lost balls/tilts just to save 1... still worth it.

As for strategy, I can really only think of two other tips:

- Practice controlling slap shots (try to hit anything but the center. you want the ball up high) and don't try to trap if there's any speed at all on the ball. You almost never can.
- On the rare occasions you can trap or otherwise take a more measured shot, shoot for the side rollover lanes. You can hit them by shooting nearly off the end of the flipper. From there they can get to the jets and number targets which is, of course, where you want to be as much as possible. Beware though that shooting TOO far off the end of the flipper can actually send it straight to an outlane.

That's about it. Just hope you can get both specials lit as early as possible... get the ball up high in the field as much as possible and for as long as you can ride it.

Last edited:

doveton

Mar 7, 2013
came within 50 points of the 1000 point wizard goal, could have cried

dunno what it is about this game, im generally all about the flashy DMD tables as a rule, but i keep coming back to this one. think i like the fact you dont worry too much about cheap drains cause you usually have so many balls you can make up for it

Members online

Members online