Too Hard?

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
Boy have we been had! For months everyone has been talking about what a bear this table was going to be, and it turns out to be a complete pussycat. I completed all the standard goals in just two games played while I was driving and simply batting at a flipper with one thumb every now and then. The table is so live the ball stays aloft like a leaf in a windy corner. This game doesn't come NEAR Big Shot on the difficulty scale.

The wizard goals didn't put up much of a fight either - going down after just five or six games played without much in the way of effective nudging (which when practised a little should make this table shrink down even more.) But this isn't a complaint. I'm liking this table and will keep playing it, and I hope Farsight keeps these old tables coming!

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
What are you reporting night? Are you having trouble lighting the green bumpers on this table? Can't get the monkey to ding his fine bell?

"Perhaps" there's some tiny black line somewhere in the artwork that's tripping you up, eh? Let's rant!

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
That's the last wizard goal I have as well. I've found nudging quite effective at times, unlike on most tables where I don't bother.

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
Well I'm USUALLY in Cape Coral, but at the moment I'm about ten miles away from the Texas Pinball Festival. I'm gonna tell the gang at Farsight to keep bringing the EM love...

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I like the fact it has a completely unfamiliar layout that at first seems really daunting: those middle drain lanes seem like monsters. And while they still are a bit monstrous, it's not as bad as my imagination after a couple of games. One thing I now really miss on the iPad is the forward nudge, especially with a ball bouncing around on the middle drain posts and losing momentum. It would seem those kind of situations would be saveable on the real machine. The jury is still out for me on the 15 extra ball limit that is imposed. I do like the fact that the table carries things over from ball to ball (that kind of thing is heartbreak on a table like Genie).
Slam23

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
My first two games were on early Williams - a Full House with the EM scoring reels, and a SPECTACULAR Rocket from 1959 restored to perfection and which plays fantastic. This is gonna be fun!!

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
CP does seem a little on the easy side. My experience with a real table is limited, and VP was my only other reference. In either case with those, I was eventually able to get both tracks up to 30 almost every game (though not when first starting) and get at least one special lit every third or fourth game. With TPA, I had both specials lit my first game and by my third game had every standard and wizard goal completed (except score 1000 on a single ball). And this was with no nudging whatsoever.

The variable post positions on the table are certainly set to liberal play (in fact, that gape between the guide flippers for the top skillshot couldn't get much wider) and the plunger shot seems calibrated so that you get a skill shot with it pulled at max. I'm not sure what else might contribute (strength settings on slingshots, maybe?). In any event, I'd like to think Farsight has the best emulation. Who knows... maybe that's how a mint real table CP plays and some of them just seem hard because they aren't maintained to spec.

Loving the table, though. I think the older tables without return in-lanes have crazier layouts and the fun is seeing it and thinking, "Good Lord, how do I deal with that?" and later realizing the genius of the designers in how the angles and shot possibilities have been put together. And with shorter game times you can see your skills improving. I'd like to see a list sometime of solid state games without return lanes. Space Station is the only one I can think of off hand, though Comet only has a return lane on the left side.

Back to Central Park!

FYI: By the way, I did have some subsequent terrible games so maybe part of it is, as someone else said, beginner's luck.

Last edited:

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I've played more than a half-dozen games so far and only two with a score in excess of 3000 (actually those games were my only ones with a score in excess of 1000 as well). I think the last wizard goal of 1000 on a single ball is going to take me a while!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
This is one of those tables where you can bust out an unbelievable score or a pitiful score. I don't think i've scored in the 2000s ever.
Yes in the 3000s and 1000s and under 1000 but never 2000s...weird. This table really makes me appreciate the Nexus over the Galaxy as the nudging is instantaneous and responsive.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Love the ****in thing 20'years ago i got to play one all day for free

Immprettynsure its this or hurdy gurdy unless other gottliebs had a monkey and same art work...cya in the top ten ladies!

N

netizen

Perhaps you are just really-really-really good.

What like the top 2 on the CP leader board good?
Skipnzl : 19,397,950 & tap: 11,737,530 :eek:

That would be some pretty serious ball control with zipper flippers, and something like meta-human nudging abilities. Or just old school hacking, LOL.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah those scores must be BS. I expect rolling over the readout is possible, but getting millions would surely take many hours of play?

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
This is a table that's profoundly affected by the interpretation of replays and specials as extra balls (unless you turn that off, which you can do). Once you get both of the specials lit, you can play for a pretty long time, just getting the special on ball after ball.

Members online

Members online