Unfinished ROM

N

netizen

As many players know Cactus Canyon was rushed out, and is in an unfinished state as Factory standard. This is how it is released by TPA.

Thus there is no music for match etc.

Here is a list, no idea how complete, of the known incomplete issues in the game. Hopefully this will cut down on some of the "Bug" reporting.

http://soldmy.org/pin/cc/trivia.html

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
For those that can't get enough of Cactus Canyon history here's a great Pinball News article and downloadable fireside chat with some of the guys behind this table. Scroll down halfway for the CC story and photos and all the way down for the download link of the full hour long presentation. Very cool stuff on how it was made and how the people behind it got the job of making what became the last traditional pin from Bally/Williams.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2006/index8.html

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Anybody notice how many of the modes in CC are similar to modes in AFM? The Bart Bros. is like the Saucers, Stampede is like Total Annihilation, Mother Lode is like Super Jackpot.

The Showdowns and the Quick Draws though are definitely unique.

N

netizen

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
For those that can't get enough of Cactus Canyon history here's a great Pinball News article and downloadable fireside chat with some of the guys behind this table. Scroll down halfway for the CC story and photos and all the way down for the download link of the full hour long presentation. Very cool stuff on how it was made and how the people behind it got the job of making what became the last traditional pin from Bally/Williams.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2006/index8.html

Really interesting chat! Thanks for the link!

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
It's not just the ROM that was unfinished.

If you have the Pro version, check out the instruction card. It's definitely not traditional Williams-style instruction cards. Very terse and generic.

Then check out the manual for CC (you can use ipdb for it). It has NOTHING on the rules (or even a mockup of the instruction card). Just instructions on how to set up the game and then it's off to describing every setting in the game. I'm fairly certain 99% of that is just generic stuff that's been recycled from previous manuals since 99% of that is the same.

Yes, it definitely feels like the prototype was taken from the designers and programmer snd sent to production in the middle of the night.

Also - only 900-odd tables? Was this intentional or was Williams just burning through leftover parts?

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
It's not just the ROM that was unfinished.

If you have the Pro version, check out the instruction card. It's definitely not traditional Williams-style instruction cards. Very terse and generic.

Then check out the manual for CC (you can use ipdb for it). It has NOTHING on the rules (or even a mockup of the instruction card). Just instructions on how to set up the game and then it's off to describing every setting in the game. I'm fairly certain 99% of that is just generic stuff that's been recycled from previous manuals since 99% of that is the same.

Yes, it definitely feels like the prototype was taken from the designers and programmer snd sent to production in the middle of the night.

Also - only 900-odd tables? Was this intentional or was Williams just burning through leftover parts?

According to the design team, Cactus Canyon was a filler game to keep the manufacturing line going until Pinball 2000 was ready. I'm sure the team wanted to have more than 930 or so produced but Revenge From Mars was probably ready for manufacturing and that meant a lot of retooling.

And yes, if listen to the chat, they talk about getting many of the parts for the whitewood from leftover parts bins, which there were tons.

Last edited:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
This may be the most fascinatingly peculiar table pack in TPA's history. Not a lot of mass appeal, maybe, but great for people who are into pinball history.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
According to the design team, Cactus Canyon was a filler game to keep the manufacturing line going until Pinball 2000 was ready. I'm sure the team wanted to have more than 930 or so produced but Revenge From Mars was probably ready for manufacturing and that meant a lot of retooling.

And yes, if listen to the chat, they talk about getting many of the parts for the whitewood from leftover parts bins, which there were tons.

I believe all the whitewoods use spare leftover parts - after all, they're prototypes.

Since we're on this topic, have you seen "Tilt - The Battle to Save Pinball" ( http://www.tilt-movie.com/ ) which actually goes into a lot of details about Pinball 2000 and such. Guess I have to watch it again to see how much they have about Cactus Canyon.

Though, I'm surprised George Gomez allowed his name to be put on such an incomplete table... I admit it's a lot of fun, but it could be even more so.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I believe all the whitewoods use spare leftover parts - after all, they're prototypes.

Since we're on this topic, have you seen "Tilt - The Battle to Save Pinball" ( http://www.tilt-movie.com/ ) which actually goes into a lot of details about Pinball 2000 and such. Guess I have to watch it again to see how much they have about Cactus Canyon.

Though, I'm surprised George Gomez allowed his name to be put on such an incomplete table... I admit it's a lot of fun, but it could be even more so.
There's nothing about CC in that film from what I remember.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The showdowns and gunfights keep CC fresh to me. I keep playing it just for those drop targets. Fun little gimmick.

RyThom

Jan 2, 2013
The showdowns and gunfights keep CC fresh to me. I keep playing it just for those drop targets. Fun little gimmick.

I agree! The way the action stops to build suspense for the random drop targets is real awesome, and few things in pinball feel better than nailing a Quick Draw/Gun Fight on the first shot.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Those pop-up drop targets are my favorite part. I have more fun with "Showdown" than "High Noon".

Edit: Wait "High Noon" features the pop-ups big time. What am I thinking? Nevermind. Pop-up bad guys rule!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.