So hard

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I like the tables to be as hard as they are in real lofe. The tables that are too easy feel like playing the same 4 levels of a single world of super mario bros over and over and over again. Pinball tables need to have that elusive nature simply because there are such a finite amount of things you can do. Once you've done it all it's lather rinse repeat. I actually think my least favorite time in a game of pinball is right after I've completed the wizard mode. Nothing is lit anymore I haven't almost gotten anything, all that tension that makes pinball pinball is gone. My favorite moment in a given game is when I'm almost at a certain goal or have only one shot left to obtain something. That's the stuff right there.

That said. The lical leaderboard scores on cc are rediculous. It's almost as if they multiplied the intended scores by ten. Except there are actually numbers in the tens column

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
I like the tables to be as hard as they are in real lofe. The tables that are too easy feel like playing the same 4 levels of a single world of super mario bros over and over and over again. Pinball tables need to have that elusive nature simply because there are such a finite amount of things you can do. Once you've done it all it's lather rinse repeat. I actually think my least favorite time in a game of pinball is right after I've completed the wizard mode. Nothing is lit anymore I haven't almost gotten anything, all that tension that makes pinball pinball is gone. My favorite moment in a given game is when I'm almost at a certain goal or have only one shot left to obtain something. That's the stuff right there.

That said. The lical leaderboard scores on cc are rediculous. It's almost as if they multiplied the intended scores by ten. Except there are actually numbers in the tens column

I have never played this game IRL, if it is hard, great, and if the TPA version is hard, fine too. What I am saying is the ability to control from a user standpoint is difficult. Nudge/tilt varies as does ball path. Not a big deal IRL as I feel the time/reaction is different, on an iPad, something needs to be consistent due to hand controls. IRL, one can nudge while still controlling the flippers, Ipad-one needs to take hands off flippers to nudge (touch).

As for CC, maybe there is a trick to scoring, kind of like ST:TNG.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I have never played this game IRL, if it is hard, great, and if the TPA version is hard, fine too. What I am saying is the ability to control from a user standpoint is difficult. Nudge/tilt varies as does ball path. Not a big deal IRL as I feel the time/reaction is different, on an iPad, something needs to be consistent due to hand controls. IRL, one can nudge while still controlling the flippers, Ipad-one needs to take hands off flippers to nudge (touch).

As for CC, maybe there is a trick to scoring, kind of like ST:TNG.

This is largely dependent on what device you are using to play on. I'm a shake nudge user but understand that that is useless on the iPad

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
This is largely dependent on what device you are using to play on. I'm a shake nudge user but understand that that is useless on the iPad

I used to use it on iPad, but it got worse, touch is ok, but need really quick thumbs on some tables, especially the newest pack released.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
I played quite a few games of this table last night and this afternoon and it definitely seems unusually difficult. The physics seem way bouncier around the flippers than many other tables, which makes the ball very hard to control, and that's compounded by the fact that the table plays extremely fast. A clean orbit shot will be back around the flippers in a very short time, and the slingshot physics seem really weird. I've played enough pinball, virtual and real, to have a pretty good idea how to anticipate roughly what the ball will do, but this table has repeatedly flummoxed me in that respect. I'm sure I'll get more accustomed to certain things with time, but it feels very odd how different this table is in that aspect.

I'm especially disappointed that I've lost probably a dozen balls straight out the right outlane from the Bart Brothers kicker, which is pretty much inexcusable. I know for a fact the real table doesn't do that, and if it did, they shouldn't be doing it in this version because that just screams of unfairness to try to keep ball times low. It feels like the kind of thing that happens with poorly maintained real-life machines, and should never happen in a virtual pinball sim. Hopefully they'll address that in an update, and maybe slow the ball speed down a bit. It's ridiculous how fast the ball can fly through the inlane and be in the center drain before you can even see it sometimes.

ATOMIC BOY

Banned
Feb 20, 2013
The game play on this table feels fine to me. Can't complain about the speed or even the REALLY annoying 'random' shots straight down the center or magnetic attraction to the out lanes. That's the kind of stuff that I associate with the fury of real world pinball.

The problem I do have are those ridiculous local high scores. Seriously, I really want to know where they are from. Are they from the actual table ROM? It really takes a lot of the fun of the table away for me because there is a certain sense of ownership in climbing the local high scores and getting to the top. It is also interesting that though the local high scores are apparently impossible to ever reach, the wizard goals on this table were the easiest for me to achieve than any other TPA table. I think I had them all tackled by the 3rd or 4th time I played it. That seems like some terrible inconsistency.

Another personal drawback is that I obsessively refuse to buy another TPA table until I've hit the highest score on a table. It seems like a good rule of thumb to really appreciate and get to know a table a bit before greedily going after another. It seems right now, I seriously will not be buying another TPA table ever again! Cactus Canyon has taken the fun out of 'owning' a table since I am unable to connect with it on that emotional level.

I'd really suggest that Farsight address the concerns on this thread, if only to explain them. If it was confirmed that we are all playing a table that was really a piece of unfinished pinball history, it would change my perspective as having it a part of my collection.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Just scored my first 100 million game. High noon seems key

Got like 55 million f that and didnt even complete it

Ye haws

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Scored a decent game last night. Focused on gold mine mb only. Had about 12 or so. Also made high noon once ended with 296M. Would guess that is the key.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
So over this table with its random loop returns. Can't wait for the next pack. CP is decent, but boring after awhile. CC would be a good game, and while one can argue it is like real pinball, I just don't think it is. Would be one thing if it was random and made it difficult to control on the flipper, but both are SDTM, just ruins a possible game with 3 of 5-6 balls lost like this.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.