Thoughts on Attack From Mars (PS3)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Some random thoughts... Too tired to assemble sentences.

Fun table
Decent graphics
Sound is meh quality / mono
Dull looking spaceship
Out lanes are killer and this seems much harder than the iOS version IMO.

/end thoughts

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
Yea, I feel the PS3 version is a bit easier than the iOS. Not sure if its the nudging, or it's just dumbed down.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
I have no problems with the outlanes either. There are far greedier ones on other tables in this collection.

My only gripe is that the ball is moving so fast to the point that I lose track of it. But apart from that it's a fine table! At first I thought it was a bit of a rip off of MM, but now I actually even prefer it to that one!

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
As far as gameplay goes, I'm quite satisfied with how AFM turned out. My only problem is with the stylized graphics. I just watched the promo video again. The whole time I was thinking "why didn't we get that?" Also, Strobe Multiball is a dissapointment.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Same designer too iirc. Brian Eddie right?

Yes, Brian Eddy, a software guy who had worked on BOP and Funhouse and went on to design just three tables, The Shadow, Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness. All of them excellent. I would love to hear a good interview from him if anyone knows of any. Topcast never did one and I don't know of any other than his promo stuff he did for his tables when they came out.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
While Attack From Mars , can truly stand so far as I can tell , one of FarSight's best new table add-ons , great theme , clean graphics , cool effects , why do I feel so jaded about it? Have I truly gotten to a point when Pinball Arcade's best offerings no longer entertain me? That's not their fault unless the shabby treatment of the PS Vita StarTrek table and earlier shoddy offerings has biased my enjoyment .

This is a great table pak , so is Genie , I just don't appreciate it as much as I used to . I was hoping for so much more with the update they added , the games still fun after a year but Im beginning to burn out it seems .

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
While Attack From Mars , can truly stand so far as I can tell , one of FarSight's best new table add-ons , great theme , clean graphics , cool effects , why do I feel so jaded about it? Have I truly gotten to a point when Pinball Arcade's best offerings no longer entertain me? That's not their fault unless the shabby treatment of the PS Vita StarTrek table and earlier shoddy offerings has biased my enjoyment .

This is a great table pak , so is Genie , I just don't appreciate it as much as I used to . I was hoping for so much more with the update they added , the games still fun after a year but Im beginning to burn out it seems .

With the release of the latest 2 packs (STNNG, AFM/Genie) I can relate a bit though STTNG is a great table and certainly one I will be playing more than others for a long long time It just has that flair. Still though after these I go back to playing MB, MM, NGG, Funhouse, Ripleys and TAXI more than any other tables as well as Zen pinball 2.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
something is off with this table, why is it so difficult to trap? is it too bouncy or to fast? gravity too high? ALL THE ABOVE! how does the ball fit between those tiny outlanes without touching anything? Its fun till you see things like that or the ball magically pops off the right orbit and you say WTF!?

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Yes, Brian Eddy, a software guy who had worked on BOP and Funhouse and went on to design just three tables, The Shadow, Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness. All of them excellent. I would love to hear a good interview from him if anyone knows of any. Topcast never did one and I don't know of any other than his promo stuff he did for his tables when they came out.

I found some through Google:

http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/eddyinterview.html
http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/afmfacts.html
http://www.maddes.net/pinball/brian_eddy_200401.htm

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
the games still fun after a year but Im beginning to burn out it seems .

Ooh, replay times a jillion idea! Well okay it's really silly. But while chasing a high score on the same table can maybe get old, it's different with real tables where each one plays a little different, right, so you can go for your high score on that particular instance of that particular table. So! Have a TPA mode where you can toggle individual lanes to be tougher, slingshots or flippers to be weaker, heck maybe for some parts just not to work at all. : P Each combination of a table's settings would give a code you could share, so then you could challenge people to get a good score on say, your customized TZ with a weak right flipper, insane pop bumper, and tight orbit shot. ... Not that that would exactly be easy for FarSight to set up, mind you. ; ) Well I guess this is more or less similar to what some folks have wanted in terms of being able to place or remove lane pegs and so forth, only messier. : P

monty22001

Dec 28, 2012
Getting superjets is awfully hard. The bumpers just don't seem to register hits at all a lot of the time. Otherwise it's great.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
something is off with this table, why is it so difficult to trap? is it too bouncy or to fast? gravity too high? ALL THE ABOVE! how does the ball fit between those tiny outlanes without touching anything? Its fun till you see things like that or the ball magically pops off the right orbit and you say WTF!?

My thoughts exactly.
Something just seems off and I can't place it.

It must be the play styles accounting for such different player experiences on AFM on the PS3.

I've had so many balls returned that go down the outlines faster than I can react to.

Multiball modes seem to either go on too long or be cut way short with the balls all going down the drain in quick succession, then again it could just be that I suck at the table. I never played the real version.

Members online

Members online