Thoughts on Attack From Mars (PS3)

Lazareth

Apr 13, 2013
Just experienced my first glitch with this game, happened after the latest update.

I earned a high score and entered my initials. The menu on the bottom, the one with the X in the middle when done, it would not clear off of the screen. It would also not save. It just sat there, no button presses would work, except the X button which registered with sound, but nothing happened. Then suddenly it starts off a new 3 player game (was playing 1 player)...and the only way out other than shut down was to drain all 3 balls for all 3 players, with the input initials screen frozen on the screen the whole time. After that it went on to display my high score, the one I earned before the weird 3 player game started, and continued as normal.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
I can easily say that AFM is the worst looking table on my PS3. My TAXI and HDAV are so washed out it is almost black and white looking. All the other tables look great. Really weird.

I'd go as far as to say that At least the last 6 tables (most of them) all look off- washed out, weird coloring, too saturated, etc.

Like, everything since CV perhaps. :(

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
...- there's definitely something off with the left orbit shot deflecting off of something on return. Doesn't happen every time but it sure happens a LOT...

I've actually found and played 2 different real AFM machines in the last month, and I second Arjan's comments on the orbit. There's a nice flat strip of metal lining the whole orbit exit area so the ball deflecting out towards the middle just shouldn't happen. The two tables I played consistently send the ball to the right flipper coming from that lane.

However I do have to say that other than that one flaw they did a nice job of recreating it, and it is a great table.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
My thoughts exactly.
Something just seems off and I can't place it.

It must be the play styles accounting for such different player experiences on AFM on the PS3.

I've had so many balls returned that go down the outlines faster than I can react to.

Multiball modes seem to either go on too long or be cut way short with the balls all going down the drain in quick succession, then again it could just be that I suck at the table. I never played the real version.

I gave this table another chance and my thoughts have not changed.
The ball gets moving way too erratic at times that you end up finding yourself having to hold the flippers just to slow it down and try to make sense of what's happening. This causes you to brick most planned shots in the process.

I also still feel the ball goes down the right outlane more often than it should.

I still like the table, but some tweaking would help it greatly.

Rollergoalie16

Dec 25, 2012
I can easily say that AFM is the worst looking table on my PS3. My TAXI and HDAV are so washed out it is almost black and white looking. All the other tables look great. Really weird.

Hmm, not having that issue thankfully with those tables on my PS3. As far as the worst looking table, Black Knight takes the crown all day long as far as i'm concerned.

Billy Fishtale

Mar 22, 2013
Table looks okay, well better than Harley anyway. My only complaint I get ping pong eyes from watching the damn ball zipping all over the place. My eyes are cocked after an hour.

Zoku Gojira

Dec 31, 2012
something is off with this table, why is it so difficult to trap? is it too bouncy or to fast? gravity too high? ALL THE ABOVE! how does the ball fit between those tiny outlanes without touching anything? Its fun till you see things like that or the ball magically pops off the right orbit and you say WTF!?

Agreed. This is my biggest problem with AFM. I've played the table IRL on three different cabinets, one back in 1996 that was brand-new, and two in the past few years that were in good shape, and never had the kind of difficulty trapping the ball that I have on the Pinball Arcade version. It's like there is zero friction on the flippers, so it often takes a nudge to slow the ball for capture, in situations where this has never been necessary on the classic table.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
I just stumbled across this IFPA video and this AFM is playing really fast. I think this is faster than what we have in TPA even.

http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/ifpa/ifpa9-game-4-attack-from-mars/
They're all different. This is the beauty (and curse!) of real pinball. I played a real life AFM this weekend and it was slower than TPA. Also the flippers were much "grippier". Very easy to trap. I was in a tournament and I kicked ass with AFM! I owe it all to practicing on TPA.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.