iOS: Dream Pinball 3D

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
App Store
Official Site

If you're compelled to buy everything even remotely pinball related, Dream Pinball 3D was just discounted. It's usually $3.99, and it was previously discounted to $2.99. But it just went on sale for $0.99.

This is an older collection, so temper your expectations. It wasn’t really good when it was released, and the app is starting to show its age. It uses the older A.S.K. engine, so it feels pretty floaty. It also uses the now-defunct OpenFeint platform for high scores. So, um… yeah, you don't want those awesome features. Also, if you've got a new-hotness 4″ screen that you're playing with, you're out of luck. But it's Universal, so if you've got an iPad, that's probably your best bet.

There are four tables: Knight Tournament, Monsters, Aquatic, and Amber Moon. I'd recommend Aquatic. It's not better designed than the others -- they're all pretty terrible, actually -- but with its underwater theme, the slow-motion gameplay is at least somewhat tolerable. I’ve convinced myself that the gameplay is slow on purpose, and that it's because everything's underwater. Like I said, it doesn't make it good, but it makes it suck a little less.

So check it out, but only if your "gotta catch 'em all" OCD is tweaking, or if you're a masochist.

Behnam

May 14, 2012
Got this on my pc, and it pretty much runs poorly! A low locked framerate, no widescreen support (even though it says it's enabled in the settings menu), bad flippers, table layout and a bad flow! The sounds are overused, making your ears bleed!
Their previous game, Pure Pinball, played way better! I actually had fun with that one, and would really like to see it ported to iOS...
Can anyone confirm if DP runs at a playable framerate?

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Have it on my ipad 4 and it runs smoothly on that. The graphics are pretty good. The gameplay and table design are nothing special. You get 4 tables for the $.99 sale price. Is it worth the buck? Sure. Will it be you new favorite pinball app? Probably not. As stated above it does feel a tad floaty, and I also agree that the aquatic table is the most fun. Amber moon just feels so awkward to play (the worst for me). The other two tables are ok.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts