Overrated?

morenoquinteiro

Oct 16, 2013
Considering only the fun factor, I think this table is really amazing, even more for the Star Trek fan. It really feels like you are playing an episode of the TV series, and I like how the ball flow helps to make you feel like this. When you are in a mission, if you miss a ball, it pretty much feels like you are having trouble manuvering the spaceship. The dialogues increase this feeling so much, with feedback from all the members of the crew, with Data giving you suggestions and instructions, and so on. I like, for example, how the tension is built in the asteroid mission. You have only a few seconds to shoot the mission hole, to lock points from 20 million to 5 million, and the DMD shows the asteroind getting closer with a tense music, it makes it really tense! And the game getting interrupted by neutral zone missions or the Borg multiball, like in the TV show, when you are interrupted by an unknown spaceship. And you have the details, like when you interrupt Data just like Picard in the TV show (getting 10 million points :)), the emotions when you are trying to increase beyond warp factor 9...

Yes, the table is maybe unbalanced in TPA, with the Borg multiball giving you so much more points and much easier than in real life, but I like to play it exploring all its modes, and trying to have fun while I pursue a good score. It is just so much fun.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Considering only the fun factor, I think this table is really amazing, even more for the Star Trek fan. It really feels like you are playing an episode of the TV series, and I like how the ball flow helps to make you feel like this. When you are in a mission, if you miss a ball, it pretty much feels like you are having trouble manuvering the spaceship. The dialogues increase this feeling so much, with feedback from all the members of the crew, with Data giving you suggestions and instructions, and so on. I like, for example, how the tension is built in the asteroid mission. You have only a few seconds to shoot the mission hole, to lock points from 20 million to 5 million, and the DMD shows the asteroind getting closer with a tense music, it makes it really tense! And the game getting interrupted by neutral zone missions or the Borg multiball, like in the TV show, when you are interrupted by an unknown spaceship. And you have the details, like when you interrupt Data just like Picard in the TV show (getting 10 million points :)), the emotions when you are trying to increase beyond warp factor 9...

Yes, the table is maybe unbalanced in TPA, with the Borg multiball giving you so much more points and much easier than in real life, but I like to play it exploring all its modes, and trying to have fun while I pursue a good score. It is just so much fun.

I agree with you wholeheartedly here. It took a while for me to warm up to this table, mainly because Big Shot took up two months of my time almost exclusively when it was released. This is one of those tables that really tells it's story well and makes you feel like you are part of it's theme. This is also the reason why I want to see High Speed 2 over the original, not because I have any dislike of the first because i don't, but because HS2 really has a way of making you feel like you are part of the situation it presents.

STTNG has great use of sound, excellent and non distracting, but still immersive use of the DMD and based on what is arguably the best Star Trek series ever made. To me it takes a very special table to make shooting ramps loops and targets somehow feel like actual missions and a real narrative. Most tables that try to tell a story really just boil down to just activating modes and using sounds to help recognize what you are supposed to do once you know the rules. Not to fault those tables for that as the story doesn't necessarily make the game, but those few magical tables that actually manage to fuse missions and stories into the game really stand out.

I only played this table a few times way back when I was in either grade 8 or 9 (13 or 14) at a sub shop that had a ton of video games. Unfortunately then, a dollar was a lot of money to me and that table effed me up something fierce which was kind of discouraging since I didn't know anything about nudging or ball control, and could get much more time for 50c out of the MK2 game next to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.