OUYA Version 1.3 Discussion And Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Please post your OUYA version 1.3 feedback here!

If you want to report bugs or other problems with this version, please use THIS THREAD and follow the guidelines in the first post.

Last edited:

Eric Qel-Droma

Jul 3, 2012
Wow. I guess I'm first. That never happens.

I hate to start with a complaint, as I was very excited to get another platform for TPA, but... is it just me, or is the framerate on OUYA very choppy? I've played TPA on PS3, PSV, iPhone, Android (Xperia Play), and my Android Tablet (TF300T), and i expected a frame rate like my Tegra 3 TF300T. Instead, the graphics look much more like they do on my Xperia Play.

Bear in mind, I'm not an effects-junkie. The basic lighting and stuff is noticeable, but it doesn't bother me. But I couldn't time my shots right because half the time I couldn't tell really where the ball was.

I'm BRAND-new to OUYA, so if there's some kind of tweaking I should do, please LMK. Otherwise... what's up with the frame rate?

N

netizen

if this is anything like other higher frame rate issue game issues, make sure your tv is set to game mode in it's menu to bypass/turn off any of it's built in post processing to see if that has any effect.

I have seen a few youtube videos where the ouya had massive buffer underuns in controller inputs and others where they ran really slow. There could be a QA control problem with the hardware if it's not a display issue. Do you know any other ouya owners you can test TPA with to determine a baseline of play?

I don't have an OUYA i'm just throwing out some de-bugging ideas.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
PS3 controllers are lag-free and sync well with Ouya.

My personal recommendation is to get a PS3 controller if you don't already have one, and use that to play on TPA. It makes a world of difference and the game-breaking lag is totally eliminated. Also if you have a particularly problematic HDTV set, you can always game on a 1080p desktop monitor if you have one available. Monitors typically have one frame (16ms) or less of lag, but many don't scale quite as nicely as HDTVs or have easily accessible aspect ratio adjustment options. Neither is an issue for Ouya.

To sync PS3 controller:

Plug a miniUSB cable into the Ouya and connect the PS3 controller. Power on the Ouya. Confirm that the PS3 controller works. Power off the Ouya. Disconnect the USB cable. Power on the Ouya. Press the PS button. Your PS3 controller should be now paired with Ouya and you can start using it immediately. PS3 Controller battery should last a long time since the battery-draining rumble features aren't supported by Ouya.

A couple of issues when using the PS3 controller with Ouya/TPA:

Certain menu items in TPA are inaccessible without the touchpad. For instance, you cannot navigate the operator's menu in Pro mode without the Ouya's touch control, and you cannot toggle the "extra balls" option (selects 3 or 5 balls per play) on Genie, CP, or BS. All of the other menu items work with Dpad + buttons. I believe this is an oversight left over from the android source code, as the operator's menu buttons would be much easier to use button controls due to the sluggish response of the Ouya touchpad. Workaround: configure the tables exactly how you want them set up with the stock Ouya controller, then exit TPA. Power down the Ouya controller and sync the PS3 controller, then reenter TPA.

If you plug a USB controller into the Ouya, Bluetooth is temporarily disabled for some stupid reason. As a result, you can't use USB and wireless controllers simultaneously for multiplayer games. Why Ouya? Not really an issue with TPA, but if you leave the PS3 controller plugged in to Ouya to charge it, you can't use the stock Ouya controllers at all. Also for some reason PS3 controllers will refuse to charge when connected to generic USB chargers. You can only charge the PS3 controller on a "smart" device such as a PC or game console, or buy a proprietary Sony charging dock.

Last edited:

Eric Qel-Droma

Jul 3, 2012
I'll try the PS3 controller thing; I certainly have enough of them around. Thanks for the suggestion!

As for framerate, you're probably right: I plugged my Ouya into a different TV last night, and the framerate was significantly improved. The soft L2/R2 buttons were NOT, and I really wish we could change the input to L1/L2. However, the fps problem was obviously my lack of knowledge about my upstairs TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.