Modded iCade Core with side buttons

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Hmmm, i like nudging with the small pokes.

Plunger is on a button, which works ok. I prefer it this way i think, cause nudging is more important to me then plunging, ;-).

Unfortunately, swiping the screen would be pretty difficult on the iCade or my pinball cab interfaced with the iCade. But I don't mind it if playing with the touchscreen.

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
I mentioned this another thread but thought I mention it here too. With the new nudge options just added, I was hoping iCade will get them too. So not really enough buttons to add nudge up, left/up, right/up and keep the start and pause buttons, the best idea would be to have option to use joystick for nudging. Not as easy as having the on side with modded buttons, but would like to have option to use new nudging. It think I'd get use to the joystick over time. One of the other pinball apps uses this control and still haven't gotten used to it but don't play it that much.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
We can wire side buttons to the joystick controller. I was thinking that since the Specials (5/E1) aren't used very often then could be moved to Joystick left/right (3/4). Then 5/E1 can be used for Forward Nudge Left/Right.

I don't see how you could use the joystick for nudging since there are only 3 positions available (down is plunger of course) and there are 4 nudging positions needed.

I Just thought of another way to handle nudging on the iCade. Move the Start (7) and Pause (9) to Joystick 3 and 4 positions. Then buttons 7 and 9 are available for left/right forward nudge. This will keep all four nudging buttons next to each other. Since the start and pause buttons aren't used during actual gameplay it wouldn't be a big compromise to move their functionality to the joystick.

Last edited:

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
I bought the iCade Core based on this thread but I'd rather replace the buttons on the face rather than drill to add buttons on the side. The face buttons are absolutely terrible, stiff and clicky. Does anybody know what size buttons they are and what the best replacements are? I'm thinking the Sanwa OBSFS Silent are the way to go.

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
We can wire side buttons to the joystick controller. I was thinking that since the Specials (5/E1) aren't used very often then could be moved to Joystick left/right (3/4). Then 5/E1 can be used for Forward Nudge Left/Right.

I don't see how you could use the joystick for nudging since there are only 3 positions available (down is plunger of course) and there are 4 nudging positions needed.

I Just thought of another way to handle nudging on the iCade. Move the Start (7) and Pause (9) to Joystick 3 and 4 positions. Then buttons 7 and 9 are available for left/right forward nudge. This will keep all four nudging buttons next to each other. Since the start and pause buttons aren't used during actual gameplay it wouldn't be a big compromise to move their functionality to the joystick.

Diagonal works on joystick. I just tested with an Atari game. Believe it just combines two commands. So technically if you even map where holding down 2 side buttons at once would trigger a different nudge. I would think reverse nudging on the joystick would be best. So if I push right, it would be same as left nudge button.

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I bought the iCade Core based on this thread but I'd rather replace the buttons on the face rather than drill to add buttons on the side. The face buttons are absolutely terrible, stiff and clicky. Does anybody know what size buttons they are and what the best replacements are? I'm thinking the Sanwa OBSFS Silent are the way to go.

The hole for the stock iCade buttons is 28mm diameter. You can use Sanwa OBSF-30 or the GoldLeaf Pushbuttons that were also mentioned earlier in this thread. You'll have to widen the existing holes to make the Sanwa OBSF-30's fit.

If you go with Sanwa OBSF-30 the diameter is 29.5mm so you will need to widen the existing holes an additional 1.5mm. If you decide to go with the GoldLeaf Pushbuttons their diameter is 27mm. Since they are screw-on they will fit perfectly in the existing holes.

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
No you won't. You ok Sotie? You know this.

My mistake, you're right... actually you're half right.:) I guess my head is too wrapped up in Centaur right now.

The hole for the stock iCade buttons is 28mm diameter. If you go with Sanwa OBSF-30 the diameter is 29.5mm so you will need to widen the existing holes an additional 1.5mm. If you decide to go with the GoldLeaf Pushbuttons their diameter is 27mm. Since they are screw-on they will fit perfectly in the existing holes.

I will edit my previous post so I won't create any confusion.

Last edited:

Codeena

May 5, 2013
I mentioned this another thread but thought I mention it here too. With the new nudge options just added, I was hoping iCade will get them too. So not really enough buttons to add nudge up, left/up, right/up and keep the start and pause buttons, the best idea would be to have option to use joystick for nudging. Not as easy as having the on side with modded buttons, but would like to have option to use new nudging. It think I'd get use to the joystick over time. One of the other pinball apps uses this control and still haven't gotten used to it but don't play it that much.

I agree that the joystick would be a good solution. I setup my PC arcade cab like this for Pro Pinball. Up on the joy to nudge forward and down to plunge. I had two buttons on the side for left/right.

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
I agree that the joystick would be a good solution. I setup my PC arcade cab like this for Pro Pinball. Up on the joy to nudge forward and down to plunge. I had two buttons on the side for left/right.

Yeah, even though diagonal works and could be used for left/up, right/up, it would be difficult to hit just right when quickly responding. I think combination of joystick and side nudge buttons would be best like you describe. Left, right, and up on joystick can all be for the upward nudges, and the buttons for just left and right. But really in the end, just give up complete mapping and we can come up with our own best solution.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012

Up to nudge doesn't sound right to me because there are two distinct forward nudging actions in TPA now.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Don't you mean 3?

WOW! Somehow I missed that! I thought there was only left up and right up nudge; I didn't even realize that there's a 3rd. So it seems like the joystick is the only way to go on this to get all three forward nudges in... IF farsight maps it for us.

clembo2021

Apr 3, 2013
I tested if Up and Right nudge is the same as an "Up-Right Nudge" today, and it turns out it is exactly the same thing. So really we only need them to map the Up nudge and we should be ok. Just hit the Up nudge+the side nudge you want to get the diagonal.

Of course, just allowing us to map our own buttons would be the best solution, but I hope we at LEAST get Up nudge next patch (which may be a quick patch due to all the crashing going on).

Codeena

May 5, 2013
I tested if Up and Right nudge is the same as an "Up-Right Nudge" today, and it turns out it is exactly the same thing. So really we only need them to map the Up nudge and we should be ok. Just hit the Up nudge+the side nudge you want to get the diagonal.

Of course, just allowing us to map our own buttons would be the best solution, but I hope we at LEAST get Up nudge next patch (which may be a quick patch due to all the crashing going on).

Definitely a button/joystick direction for up would be great. And the fact that Farsight has added diagonal nudging is cool. I believe most sims only have up/left/right.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Since we have iCade support, I think it'd be nice to be able to turn off the touchscreen flippers so we can use the screen only for nudging. I also think it'd be nice to have the ability to hide the on-screen launch, special button, view-change and pause buttons/icons.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
My mistake, you're right... actually you're half right.:) I guess my head is too wrapped up in Centaur right now.

The hole for the stock iCade buttons is 28mm diameter. If you go with Sanwa OBSF-30 the diameter is 29.5mm so you will need to widen the existing holes an additional 1.5mm. If you decide to go with the GoldLeaf Pushbuttons their diameter is 27mm. Since they are screw-on they will fit perfectly in the existing holes.

I will edit my previous post so I won't create any confusion.
Thanks, sounds like the goldleaf is the way to go!

sotie

Aug 30, 2012

Nice find. Works the same for me also.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Has anyone tried wiring two actions' wires (but just one ground wire) to the same button, and not harm the iCade encoder card? I was wondering because I think it'd nice to have a single button be used for two different actions. For example, I'd like my launch button to be also used for the special button in Harley Davidson, especially since once the ball is in play, the launch button is not necessary. And my start button would be nice as a front nudge button (if Farsight adds it for the iCade). My start and launch buttons are on the face of mini pinball cabinet, so the special and front nudge would be nice positions for the two buttons. If no one has tried this, I may just give it a try and I'd let anyone interested know if it works.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
After seeing the "iPinCade" you created that make sense. I don't have enough wiring knowledge to know if that will work or not.

Members online

Members online