Modded iCade Core with side buttons

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Any 18-22 gauge wire will be fine. Take a look at the crimp-on connectors I used on the buttons in the photos above.

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
I am getting ready to order the side buttons but thought I might as well replace the top buttons too. Do you know what size they are? Also, was trying to decide on the silent vs the original buttons. The iCade buttons are way too noisy, how do the Swanwa original compare? Were the silent just too soft?

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I am getting ready to order the side buttons but thought I might as well replace the top buttons too. Do you know what size they are? Also, was trying to decide on the silent vs the original buttons. The iCade buttons are way too noisy, how do the Swanwa original compare? Were the silent just too soft?

I got these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390530267146

They're silent, and they fit the holes without modifying. The contact connectors are smaller than the originals, but they still work. However, I haven't added side buttons yet, so I'm not sure of the length issue in terms of clearance. They're just fine for replacing the top buttons tho'.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Also, was trying to decide on the silent vs the original buttons. The iCade buttons are way too noisy, how do the Swanwa original compare? Were the silent just too soft?

I originally ordered the Sanwa Silent (OBSFS-30) and they were just too silent/soft for me. Then I ordered the regular Sanwa (OBSF-30) and I prefer them over the silent.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I got these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390530267146

They're silent, and they fit the holes without modifying. The contact connectors are smaller than the originals, but they still work. However, I haven't added side buttons yet, so I'm not sure of the length issue in terms of clearance. They're just fine for replacing the top buttons tho'.

I took a look at the pics in the ebay ad you linked to. Judging from the picture I'm 99% positive they're too long for side buttons. Take a look at my pictures at the top of this post to see how much clearance is available.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I'm located in the N. California Bay Area (East Bay) if anyone wants me to add side buttons and a power switch to their iCade.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I took a look at the pics in the ebay ad you linked to. Judging from the picture I'm 99% positive they're too long for side buttons. Take a look at my pictures at the top of this post to see how much clearance is available.

Yep, this is my fear. I'll let you know when I attempt the mod.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Im actually thinking of build a pibcab for my iPad, just need to get a iPad connector plug and then wire up buttons

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Im actually thinking of build a pibcab for my iPad, just need to get a iPad connector plug and then wire up buttons

I was thinking of making one also with iCade circuit board. Here's my problem... I can't figure out what to do for the backbox/backglass area. The only thing I can think of is either don't have a backbox or use pinball art (matching with sides and front). Neither one of those seem ideal to me.

Turbine

May 19, 2012
My parts arrived today. Swapped out all 8 original buttons for quieter ones, then planned to use 2 new Sanwa's for the flippers and reuse the swapped out buttons for nudges (not bothered about the "special" ones for now). That won't work, the originals are twice as deep as the Sanwa's, so back to eBay I go..

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Be careful buying Sanwa's on ebay. I read that there are sellers with cheap Chinese knock-off's that they sell with the 'Sanwa' name in their ads. For this reason I purchased from an online retailer in the US.

So did you install the new flippers on the sides? How did it go?

Turbine

May 19, 2012
It's one of the arcade suppliers mentioned in this thread but they also sell via eBay. It's cheaper on postage for just one or two items on eBay,

I haven't installed the side buttons yet, just need to check I have a 1" spade bit.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I took a look at the pics in the ebay ad you linked to. Judging from the picture I'm 99% positive they're too long for side buttons.

Just got 'em. Yep, too long for the side buttons. You'd think I would've just used one of the ones I'm already using for the top buttons to size test. Chock that one up to laziness. So I just modified the new ones by cutting off the excess threads. No biggie.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Just got 'em. Yep, too long for the side buttons. You'd think I would've just used one of the ones I'm already using for the top buttons to size test. Chock that one up to laziness. So I just modified the new ones by cutting off the excess threads. No biggie.

Very nice. So cutting down the ends doesn't effect the terminal connections? I'm thinking of trying these out because I'd prefer a concave button instead of the convex design. How is the "clickiness"? Does it feel like a pinball button?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Very nice. So cutting down the ends doesn't effect the terminal connections?

Nah. Just exposes them like your Sanwas.

I'm thinking of trying these out because I'd prefer a concave button instead of the convex design. How is the "clickiness"? Does it feel like a pinball button?

There's no click whatsoever. Yes, feels like real pinball. I thought you liked slight "clickiness" tho'.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Maybe I described it incorrectly, there was just something about the Silent Sanwa's that didn't feel right. I guess I can't put it into words. :confused:

Do you happen to know the installation diameter of your buttons?

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
They use the same size holes as the original holes in the iCade. 1 1/8"

Thanks, that's about 28.5mm. The holes I made for the Sanwa's are 29.5mm. I think it will work since the GoldLeaf's are screw-in. I'm going to order two of them for the flippers and keep the Sanwa's as Nudge.

Turbine

May 19, 2012
They look like the same buttons I replaced the original iCade ones with. Hmm... so I could put 4 of those back and cut the leaf switches down for side buttons. The only thing that was bothering me about fitting the Sanwa's is there's no lock-ring to keep them in tight.

Members online

Members online