White Water tactics and strategies?

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
cmon guys, what's the trick?

i expect it's important to try to get the 5x playfield just before getting multiball then going for insanity falls jackpots, but i think that 5x is random, no?

share some help please :)

karl

May 10, 2012
A few more hints.
Remember that it takes more hits to the green targets for every new multiball. If you are going for the vacation jackpot and are close to getting it,
try to not to activate multiball before everything else is ready. The third multiball is much harder to get
than the second one.
Getting 5x the fun right before Wet Willies is probably also a good Idea or if you are close to bigfoot hotfoot if you are not close to multiball .
If you have used your kickback, activating it again should be a high priority.
Forget about goldrush multiball if you have completed the standard goal. It is hard to get and not worth the trouble even though it is a pretty fun multiball with more cool music :)
When you get the whirlpool challenge it is important to trap one ball on your left flipper, then shoot "No way out" with your right flipper. If you are accurate there is a lot of points in this as the score gets higher for every whirlpool shot.
Disaster drop is the most important ramp to hit.
It will get you free hazzards often and advances to the next raft level after 9 hits (saves you from having to hit the dangerous "Boomerang Bend") and there is also a extra ball to be had from it and the hold bonus can be helpful if you are close to River class five or six

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
If you don't mind me piggybacking Karl....I totally agree with everything he said. In fact I will try to shoot spine chiller early in games to get to the top flipper just so I can save the multiballs for later.
Also, I seem to lose 75% of my balls from that dang boulder field. Stay out of there as much as possible.

jonesjb

Mar 22, 2013
I obtained the Vacation Jackpot two times today (actually ALMOST three times-twice in one game, I missed out on the 3nd one because I completed all tasks except locking the last ball for Multiball, the third lock was lit though). The 6X riverclass was my main problem, along with activating multiball too early, then finishing everything and having to hit the 3rd multiball.

Anyway here is a strategy that has worked for me. When you start the game, try to activate whirlpool challenge. As mentioned earlier, trap the left ball, but what you are trying to do is aim for No Way Out (get good at it), then hit the whirlpool (then hold the flipper up when it comes out of the mine) or let it run down into the right lane and hit No Way Out again and again to build up the river class. Your should be able to progress river classes with little risk, one upgrade for every three shots. This works because the No Way Out is an easy shot from the right flipper, and if Whirlpool challenge is lit, the multiball won't progress even if you hit the green markers (this is the key benefit of this approach). If you get almost there, you should still be alright, continue trying to do this, and just don't worry too much about the green targets.

karl

May 10, 2012
Good tips.

Sadly, "Hold Bonus" does exactly nothing in this game. It even says to in the TPA rules.

I had the impression that hold bonus saves your riverclass for the next ball??? Why else would it be there. Sorry if I was wrong.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
hold the flipper up when it comes out of the mine

which flipper? that mine is a disaster area for me, every time it comes out of there i hold my breath to see if i get a right outlane drain, which happens about half the time. without this, i'd be doing a lot better.

i use iphone4S on iOS if that makes a difference

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
which flipper? that mine is a disaster area for me, every time it comes out of there i hold my breath to see if i get a right outlane drain, which happens about half the time. without this, i'd be doing a lot better.

when it comes out of the mine, have the right flipper held up. The ball will shoot up the lane and back down again. It shouldn't drain when you do this.

karl

May 10, 2012
Well, it's supposed to, but Williams botched it on the real machine.

Ahh! I see. I am using the LH-6 ROM on my real machine and I see now it is not an official ROM Version. It works correctly on that. Sorry for the confusion and thanks David and Sean for correcting me.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

Be ready for a gentle nudge left, anytime the ball is at the top of the right outlane.

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012
when it comes out of the mine, have the right flipper held up. The ball will shoot up the lane and back down again. It shouldn't drain when you do this.

As important, be sure to have 'spot RIVER letter' lit while the right flipper is up. 90% of the time you''ll collect two letters.
I always do this while the ball is in the mine, second nature now.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/whitewater/

Always liked the PAPA tutorials and this one explains most of it fairly well. Since I've watched it I got the vacation Planner Jackpot several times. (In different games of course) When shooting the whirlpool I make sure the light is on in the inner right lane and when the ball comes out of the mine, it lights 2 RIVER letters and I get to stage 6 river fairly quickly doing that.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Here's what i've noticed.

It seems the lost mine kickout CAN be safely cradled for 2 river letters every single time. This works on SOME real machines but NOT others. SO my strategy for getting river letters is shoot the whirlpool a lot. :) Yes, you can combine this with whirlpool challenge to great effect.

Disaster Drop is safe on this machine. it is NOT safe on many real ones. it can take a bad hop off the drop, graze the railing on the orbit, rattle a bit, and drain straight down the middle. That's why they called it Disaster Drop. This behavior on real machines is intentional. It never seems to happen to anyone but me in a multiplayer game. That's also why that drain hazard on Addams Family is called the Train Wreck.

You can spot dangerous hazards not only with disaster drop, and the whirlpool award, but also by clearing the 3-bank that relights the kickback when it's still lit. In the case of boomerang Bend, and the boulder garden, it's probably worth it.

If Advance Raft is lit on the whirpool, and there are only easy hazards left, for gods sake shoot them first, THEN collect the whirlpool award. :)

On iOS, i've had balls phase off the spine chiller into no way out a few times.

If you leave the app for the advertisement for pinball magazine it comes back mute until you shoot something on the playfield.

yuriijos

Dec 26, 2012
Anybody have any tips for activating gold rush multiball? I cannot get the ball into the lost mine from the right flipper and the times it does go in there is from random sling shot bounces. There got to be a better way, I can't finish the standard goals without getting gold rush multiball

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The goal that's driving me nuts is the 5 way combo.

I understand that the game is tuned to make that particular backhand very difficult on purpose to keep players from doing too well at whitewater multiball (i've seen people get billions off of this mode in real life on ones where you can backhand no way out after insanity falls), but it makes that particular wizard goal INSANE. To be fair, it really is that hard on some, but not all, real life Whitewaters.

The timeout is too short for anything but a direct flip off the ramp feed to work for registering the combo, and it almost NEVER goes in.

i'e since figured out that a sideways nudge RIGHT after flipping can help deflect the ball in, but it still sometimes grazes the lock lights, and then your ball lock causes the combo to time out.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online