Centaur Screens

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
Great video, but does anyone believe the FarSight version is going to play like that? My money says the TPA version of Centaur will play quite a bit faster (fine by me!) and the other difference I'd wager on will be flipper dynamics. Will TPA try to emulate the odd, floppy nature of the Bally flippers of that period, or will they just "go with the flippers they got?"

If you played (or even watched) a Williams from 1981 (such as Barracora for instance) the flippers and how they play are a world away from what you find on Fathom or Centaur. But judging by the snappy flippers and gameplay of Central Park, I expect to see the same sort of "makeover" for Centaur.

EDIT: For an example of what I'm talking about, watch the way the up-raised left flipper recoils when the ball lands on it at 1:18 and again at 1:21. The Williams flippers don't give anywhere near that much in the same situation.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Great video, but does anyone believe the FarSight version is going to play like that? My money says the TPA version of Centaur will play quite a bit faster (fine by me!) and the other difference I'd wager on will be flipper dynamics. Will TPA try to emulate the odd, floppy nature of the Bally flippers of that period, or will they just "go with the flippers they got?"

If you played (or even watched) a Williams from 1981 (such as Barracora for instance) the flippers and how they play are a world away from what you find on Fathom or Centaur. But judging by the snappy flippers and gameplay of Central Park, I expect to see the same sort of "makeover" for Centaur.

EDIT: For an example of what I'm talking about, watch the way the up-raised left flipper recoils when the ball lands on it at 1:18 and again at 1:21. The Williams flippers don't give anywhere near that much in the same situation.

TPA tables always play too fast. But people always justify it by saying its a new, freshly waxed pin they are trying to simulate. That's BS in my opinion, they are too fast, especially Central Park. It makes them feel like a video game and not a pinball simulation at times. Such a fine line between too fast and too floaty.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Looks great. I am wondering which table will get the pro upgrade: Centaur or Pinbot?

I would think it would be Pinbot. There's not a great deal you can set on Centaur and I think it's mostly done via dip switches on the MPU board rather than in software.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
The speed is fine for dmd and system 11 tables. Older tables, like Centaur, or ems, play way slower.

And it's not about wax/new playfields. Centaur is leveled in a way that's much more "flat" than new pins which are tilted down more giving the ball more speed. Papas centaur playfield was mint, but it still plays slower for this reason.

And yes the Bally flippers have been discussed. It's one of those things that if they took the care to do right, I'd be in heaven.. But, I'm not expecting it to happen just being real.

Honestly if they went back and used the old Williams collection physics for centaur that'd be a very close approximation. Too much speed and too powerful flippers will screw this up.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
The four score displays and both credit and ball ones would suggest that it is emulated. Will I have the say-it-again board though? :)

It better have the say it again board or it's just not the same. Centaur needs the reverb to be, well, Centaur.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Explain cause I don't know: does Centaur have two boards or something? One with reverb and one without?

Centaur has a sound board called the say it again board. It creates a reverb sound for the voice calls. Since no other game, other than Centaur II, uses it, sometimes it's missing. When not present or working properly the voice calls are missing that effect. Makes a big difference, especially for Centaur nuts like me.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Centaur has a sound board called the say it again board. It creates a reverb sound for the voice calls. Since no other game, other than Centaur II, uses it, sometimes it's missing. When not present or working properly the voice calls are missing that effect. Makes a big difference, especially for Centaur nuts like me.

The reverberation is an option that the operator can set to on/off in the Operator's Menu. In addition, the operator can set the game for two tilts per game instead of the standard ball-in-play tilt option and enable an attract mode option that automatically shoots five balls onto the playfield every 15 minutes to interact with the pop bumpers and slingshots until they drain. I guess we'll have to wait and see how FarSight sets these options as default.

I'm kind of hoping the Pro Menu is for Centaur as it would be nice to get to play with the above settings.

Neil L

Aug 5, 2012
The reverberation is an option that the operator can set to on/off in the Operator's Menu. In addition, the operator can set the game for two tilts per game instead of the standard ball-in-play tilt option and enable an attract mode option that automatically shoots five balls onto the playfield every 15 minutes to interact with the pop bumpers and slingshots until they drain. I guess we'll have to wait and see how FarSight sets these options as default.

I'm kind of hoping the Pro Menu is for Centaur as it would be nice to get to play with the above settings.

Hopefully there will be a Pro menu, but with an option added to the menu to alter sound settings like reverb (and turn on/off family mode for tables featuring this) that doesn't effect the high scores/leaderboards (as the sound doesn't affect the scores!)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.