No Release Date Yet?

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Regarding New 3DS I think Nintendo has clearly decided to risk splitting the marketplace with Xenoblade Chronicles as indicated; I don't see how they can release hardware capable of running software that the standard 3DS cannot without allowing developers to release to that platform exclusively.

I suspect something similar will happen with Wii U in order to prolong the length of this generation or test the idea of doing away with the idea of new platforms full-stop and doing what Apple does and evolve platforms overtime whilst keeping as much backwards-compatibility on the table as possible. This would have the appeal for developers of potentially amortising their wares over a much longer period.

Regarding release date, yes they said it would be a launch window title and I think someone mentioned last summer too, but Farsight does seem to have a bad habit of overestimating their own project capacity. "hard at work" and "by the end of the year" together imply to me that:

a) they are working actively on it
b) they're not going to set an unrealistic release date

so I'm hopeful!

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Regarding New 3DS I think Nintendo has clearly decided to risk splitting the marketplace with Xenoblade Chronicles as indicated; I don't see how they can release hardware capable of running software that the standard 3DS cannot without allowing developers to release to that platform exclusively.

I suspect something similar will happen with Wii U in order to prolong the length of this generation or test the idea of doing away with the idea of new platforms full-stop and doing what Apple does and evolve platforms overtime whilst keeping as much backwards-compatibility on the table as possible. This would have the appeal for developers of potentially amortising their wares over a much longer period.
Sadly, I don't believe the next Nintendo console will be backwards compatible with the Wii-U. The Wii-U is running on outdated PowerPC architecture, which is fairly obsolete since Apple abandoned it in favor of x86. I believe aside from some niche Super Computer applications, nothing consumer grade is running the Power architecture anymore. Nearly everything uses either x86 or ARM nowadays.

There are rumors of Nintendo creating a future hybrid console by consolidating their portable and console lines. x86 is a power hungry architecture and requires massive batteries for portable use. ARM is efficient and affordable. If Nintendo does plan on creating a unified console/portable architecture, then ARM would be the way to go, even if it alienates developers who are working on the big Sony/MS/Steam machines all using x86. This would also ensure compatibility with their more successful DS/3DS line. Looking at their track record of going against the grain, this could be a reality.

Regardless of which direction Nintendo chooses, I have a bad feeling that PowerPC and backwards compatability with Wii/Wii-U will be dead by next gen. If Nintendo sticks with it, it will become progressively harder to find manufacturers willing and capable to manufacture chips using the now obsolete architecture.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Ah I hadn't considered that, but given they're able to get IBM to supply them now I can't see why they wouldn't in future. Economies of scale might make ARM more attractive, however, I agree.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Hoping for Wii U release

Wow. I'd really love to see a Wii U version. Not interested in this game on a tablet or phone, and not interested in PS4 or X one.... But, man, I sure want to play this game on the Wii U. Support was kind enough to respond last week that they are hoping to release it soon but could not commit to it definitively. So I guess that's good news since they didn't say NO :)

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

Regarding release date, yes they said it would be a launch window title and I think someone mentioned last summer too, but Farsight does seem to have a bad habit of overestimating their own project capacity. "hard at work" and "by the end of the year" together imply to me that:

a) they are working actively on it
b) they're not going to set an unrealistic release date

so I'm hopeful!

Problem is, they have never set any release date for it. What a way to celebrate three years of being advertised as "available for the WiiU", when we've seen one quick video of it and nothing more.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
we need this game on our favorite system

Problem is, they have never set any release date for it. What a way to celebrate three years of being advertised as "available for the WiiU", when we've seen one quick video of it and nothing more.

Guys I know business has to be profitable. But the Wii U will outsell OUYA or whatever that thing is. I know a circle of Zen players on Wii U that would be all over this one.

I hear Wii U code is similar to xbox360. Does the whisper on the wind from Farsight about a 360 version bode well for us Nintendo-ers?

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Guys I know business has to be profitable. But the Wii U will outsell OUYA or whatever that thing is. I know a circle of Zen players on Wii U that would be all over this one.

I hear Wii U code is similar to xbox360. Does the whisper on the wind from Farsight about a 360 version bode well for us Nintendo-ers?
DX11 is close to a done deal. X360 is probably next. Maybe WiiU after that? I don't know, but the DMD on the controller would be really cool. I'd love that for a PS4 and a Vita.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013

No offense. TPA was supposed to be a "launch window" title on Wii-U. But when I aquired an Ouya pre-launch in 2013 from a former KS backer who just wanted to get rid of it, it became my goto platform for Pinball. Off-TV Gamepad play is awesome. You won't believe how many off-TV hours I've logged on the Gamepad. At this point Wii-U has a much larger active install base than Ouya and Wii-U owners are far more likely than Ouya owners to pay money for a quality download product. Most Ouya owners only bought it as a cheap emulation box and only download the occasional free demo.

Sadly, the only reason I still keep the Ouya plugged in these days is to play pinball. Zen on the gamepad is fabulous and I would love to have both apps in the same place. Unfortunately Ouya appears to be in dire financial straits right now and I have a sinking feeling the Ouya store may not be around much longer. I would gladly repurchase all 4 seasons on Wii-U when/if it drops on the Wii-U eShop. I do not own a PS4 or Xbox One and have no intention of getting one. Nor do I own a "smart" device and even if I did, touch screen input is sub-par for many game genres. I don't really do PC gaming and it's not worth the purchase price of a Steam Box just for a Pinball sim.

Last edited:

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I finally picked up a Horipad for my iPad, but I've not tried running The Pinball Arcade on my TV just yet. The main thing I'm hoping for with a Wii U version are enhanced visuals (read: lighting effects) and emulation on Black Knight and other tables where that hasn't been done in iOS.

I'm happy to wait a few more months for them to get it right, but depending upon how they price individual tables versus seasons I wouldn't expect to re-purchase all tables.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've heard this is in the works. They had a working version of the game on the Wii U over a year ago, but it obviously got back burnered. Signs are pointing to FarSight stepping up their activity, so we'll see if this starts gaining traction.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Fingers crossed. I just tried connecting my iPad to my TV using the Lightning-HDMI adapter and the Horipad and it's unplayable. I thought it might be controller lag at first, but no, it's the video refresh using the display mirroring that's out by a fraction of a second which isn't too much for most iOS shooters, but kills anything that needs split-second reactions like pinball.

The only thing I've ever used this adapter for previously is watching videos on my partner's TV and that app is aware of the adapter and uses the external display without mirroring so I suspect you'd need to code your application to use the adapter specifically. I can't imagine Farsight putting effort into that given all the other things on their plate!

Horipad with the iPad only was pretty good (used landscape for convenience), though I'm normally not walking around with a controller in my hand so I won't be playing with anything but touch controls for the most part. Still, if Farsight was to can the Wii U version I would campaign for external display support for iOS!

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Well now that the 360 is done, they've pretty muched released TPA on all the platforms they intended except the Wii U. The Steam DX11 updates are in beta and the other platforms seem to be going smoothly. I hope this means finally some more progress on the Wii U version will happen. Would be a nice suprise to see TPA at E3 in a eShop sizzle reel video or something.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Well now that the 360 is done, they've pretty muched released TPA on all the platforms they intended except the Wii U. The Steam DX11 updates are in beta and the other platforms seem to be going smoothly. I hope this means finally some more progress on the Wii U version will happen. Would be a nice suprise to see TPA at E3 in a eShop sizzle reel video or something.

Boy would it ever be nice Dok5555555. I have stated I own a 360 and a Wii U and have no interest in buying a new system until the current systems become the "prior gen" Then they are a good buy :) I bit the bullet and bought the base version with the 4 tables on the 360, but truly want to build my table collection on the Wii U. please Farsight... I have money to spend and it's all going to Zen as they are continuing their excellent Wii U support. Thanks for listening :)

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
There's a twitch tomorrow and probably a newsletter soon, so hopefully they'll share some information about the Wii U version.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
You wont see PA on wiiU but i reckon you will on there NX system.
This.

I know this SEEMS like a great guess, but is it just a guess or do you know something that has been formally announced? The website still says they are intending to release it.
I just want to continue TPA on a platform I already own and PS4/Xbone don't interest me. PS3 will be nearing it's EOL in another year or so. I finally completed Season 4 pass on Ouya and I won't be subscribing to season 5 because they way things are right now with the Razor aquisition, they could pull the plug on the servers at any moment.

I must admit, day one updates and playing with game controllers on Ouya was nice...

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
I know this is a different app, but the Zen tables look and play fantastic on the Wii U, better than the 360 IMO. Zen does have alot of trouble with the back end with the Wii U version that they don't seem to have on the other systems. The servers and the scoring database.....

I wonder just wonder if Zen or Nintendo is to blame for that. , but thats another story. I wonder is Farsight is having trouble with that part of it, the back end. Because the tables and the app should play and run just fine on Wii U. Or, maybe they don't think they can sell enough, but I think they would.

Regardless, I am in the same boat as you StarDust. Want this game on WiiU and just waiting to buy all seasons if they ever release.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Well they keep saying after they finish another version of TPA, which apparently jumped priority over the Wii U (like X1), that Wii U will be there next concentration, but it's been awhile so it's kind of disappointing to not hear at least some news about this version. This is taken straight from their website under news and faq:

"What's going on with the Wii-U version?

We are still planning to release the Wii-U version of Pinball Arcade, hopefully by the end of the year, we realize that our Wii-U fans are anxious to get their hands on it but it's not quite ready yet, Xbox One has been our main focus and that hurdle is nearly complete."

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.