Duuuuuude

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
This table drives me nuts, and it isn't just because I haven't quite managed to beat that top local 25 million score yet; I don't really mind a score being tough to reach (I reached that 250,000 goal in Big Shot after weeks of trying, for instance, and that seemed much more out of reach), I just mind it not being fun. Aside from the usual bugs in the TPA conversion of course, I just don't like the design of the table--assuming the TPA version is reasonably faithful, which other posts here seem to indicate. Things I'm finding particularly un-fun:

- the voices! Oh man.
- lots of SDTM from the pops
- having to do those repetitive triple shots to the same three targets over and over (Gift of Gab, Magnetic Personality, and whatever the other one is called)
- the fact that none of those shots are very fun to make: only one is a real on-the-fly shot--that middle target--and of course that one can always be pretty drainy
- the way the shots that are fun to make--the ray, the mixmaster, the center alley, the right loop--are either shots that are not profitable at all and often deadly (center alley and right loop), or shots that are very rarely active for points and usually just waste time; heck, even the three shots you have to hit over and over are often useless because you've already hit them enough times--they could have done SO much more with the rules on this table to keep shots at least doing something fun or useful
- you go through all that work for the Mixmaster, which might be fun to watch (aside from TPA's camera zoom : p) except that the ball usually stays in there for only a second or so--although I've seen a post that suggested the real-life table keeps it in there slightly longer on average
- the colors! oh the tacky colors, children!
- the way the Dude level stays between games, so if I want to go for high score with that so-called Gazillion shot you get at the top Dude level--being someone who isn't yet getting through all the Dude levels in one game, generally--I have to trudge through multiple games just to get to the point where the big point shot is ready to trigger

All tables have a certain level of aggravation in them but the good ones have fun that outweighs it--I'm just not finding enough of that fun in Dr. Dude to outweigh the excessive amount of various aggravations it seems designed for. Gotta keep going for now, though--haven't quite beat that top 25 million local score yet. : P

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Yeah, DD is kind of pile, in real life and in TPA. There's a lot of other System 11s out there that are better that I'd like to see in TPA, imo.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Ah. Ok. So it's not just me. And because of your eloquent breakdown, I now know why. I was wondering why, even though there was so much to do, I still wasn't having any fun.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Just shoot the mix master, everything else is a distraction.

But it's only actually worth anything at certain times, right? Ie during multiball for jackpots, or when the Millions or Gazillions shots are lit. Otherwise you just shoot it for a measly few thousands....or are hits on the targets in there still adding up to some big payoff?

*Re-reads rules*

Ohh I see, I forgot that ten hits to each of the three target clusters in the Mixmaster spots a corresponding Element of Coolness--so you can just do the Mixmaster shot repeatedly to spot those instead of having to do the more aggravating magnet etc shots. Nice! I'll have to try that. I mean, that will be even *more* repetitive than the table already is, but at least the Mixmaster shot is a nicer shot.

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Yes, but as you said, it only stays up there for a second. That shot gets old real fast.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Yeah, hopefully it won't take significantly more shots to score the Elements that way or I'll just go straight barmy. 8 o

Hm also to avoid barmyness may have to wait until the Event Camera on/off toggle is available in the PS3 version to disable that camera zoom.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Oh my. Okay why did nobody tell me that once you beat the 25 million score, it disappears from the list, and a 36.9 million score (exactly 4 million above mine ;|) appears??? WHAT. THE. HECK.

GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

EDIT: And yes shooting just the Mixmaster gets insanely boring and takes way more shots, however it is a much, much safer shot.

EDIT: Oh, so yeah the score thing is a known bug on this table--always keeps inventing a score 4 million higher than yours. Well that's nice. Now I can quit.

Last edited:

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
At least it's thrilling to reach Multiball and trying to keep the 2 balls in play long enough to score a jackpot, in that way it's similar to "Creature from the Black Lagoon". And the Dude level reminded me of "Elvira" and the 5M shot.

Members online

Members online