Bug Friend Sorting on Leaderboards is BROKEN (video demo included)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
This happened when updating from 2.10 to 2.11.

As you can see from the video it's added ALL of the people on my PSN friends list. Even those who don't own the game or the game demo.

I consider this to be a major, game breaking, bug for those of us who like to compete with their online friend's scores.

If anyone else has this bug PLEASE say something or else Farsigt will do NOTHING to fix it.
As it sits now, they can't reproduce it and aren't commenting any further on it.
Only saying that nothing was updated in the code that would have caused this.

So let's try and get to the bottom of this nasty bug!

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Since my leaderboards are still working, I'm going to try to break them, document the steps it took to do so and send the information directly to FarSight so that they can hopefully get this issue fixed before they submit the next update to Sony.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
@PinWiz: Even the friends tab? That's all that's broken on mine.

Same problem I guess...So posting to back you up on the problem
Whole friends list with overall leaderboard scores cloned onto them are all there...and I only know 2 people with the game.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Yes, the friends tab was working just fine on my PS3 last night after I updated. One thing off the top of my head is...did everyone who is seeing this issue participate in the PS3 tournament? The reason why I ask is because I didn't and all my leaderboard tabs are working fine.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Yes, the friends tab was working just fine on my PS3 last night after I updated. One thing off the top of my head is...did everyone who is seeing this issue participate in the PS3 tournament? The reason why I ask is because I didn't and all my leaderboard tabs are working fine.

Hmm...wonder if you're onto something. I did do a few tables in the tourney

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I haven't downloaded the patch yet, so I'll also give it a go and see what happens. I didn't participate in the tournament either.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
it is adding all of your friends? for me it tells me "no friends have this table" which is odd because I know that's not true and it says it for every table

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Just downloaded the patch. Went straight to the leaderboards and everything was fine at first. My friends scores loaded normally. Then I started scrolling through each table leaderboard and things were ok for each table, but went haywire when I got to Genie. Now it says "None" for each table.

Edit: exiting the leaderboards and coming back, everything is fine again...until I scroll over to the Genie leaderboard.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I was in the tournament and my short friends list is fine. Been trying going through all the lists in various ways, can't seem to make it screw up but maybe Jeff's onto something (mine was fine with Genie and beyond).

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Thanks PinWiz, Jeff, and Grasshopper,
Hopefully with all of this info Farsight will continue to look into it.

Also, I didn't get anywhere by deleting/reinstalling. Still a problem...

Does anyone happen to know if the new TPA Season 1 Pack uses different code or is simply the TPA executable along with all of the table pack DLC?

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Since there are multiple ways to access the leaderboards--from the main menu, from the tournament menu (which is probably some sorta work-in-progress glitch since they're reorganizing the tournament thing I guess), from each table's menu, and from the pause menu while playing a table--maybe it would help if you guys getting the problem could specify how you're accessing the leaderboard; like, does it happen if you start the game and go straight to the leaderboard via the Leaderboard button on the main menu? I'm guessing it does, but it would be nice to be sure of the exact steps taken to reproduce it.

For stuff like this it also doesn't hurt to describe any other game settings you might be running, like screen resolution, whether you have all the tables (and which ones you don't have, if applicable), whether your friends have all the tables, whether you/your friends are on all the leaderboards yet, what game option settings you're running like multiball camera and flipper triggers (L/R1 vs L/R2), what your internet connection speed is, what custom balls you've purchased, what controller you're using, what controller ID, whether it's being used wired or wirelessly, etc etc. Bugs can sometimes be triggered by unexpected things. In this case maybe it's more likely to come down to some particular combination of names or numbers in your leaderboard lists, but you never know.

Oh I guess I should try that for myself. I reinstalled TPA and all the tables eh either in 2.09 or 2.10 I think. My friend leaderboards appear to be fine, but I have just myself and one other person on all but one of them, which has three people total. I tried both 1080 and 720, I have all the tables, multiball camera on, flippers on L/R1, fast cable internet (comcast), I've purchased the TZ and ST:TNG custom balls. Tried a standard PS3 wireless controller (non-vibration kind), wireless, on both controller 1 and controller 2 settings. Um there are probably a few other settings I'm forgetting. Update: tried toggling flipper controls and vibration, still didn't break the Friend boards.

I guess one test we could try would be to add people to my Friends list ("Neopaleface") to see if it breaks at some point.

Hm also try logging out and back in to PSN if you haven't done that yet.

Oh and check your Friend list in some other game with a Friend-sorted leaderboard (Zen 2?) and see if it's working there.

Wonder if it could even be something crazy like someone who's on your Block list showed up on the leaderboards.

Last edited:

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
I start the game and go straight to the Leaderboard. The "Friends" filter shows only me but none of my ~30 friends who have TPA.

Other games are fine, e.g. "Star Wars Pinball" from Zen.

Another idea: maybe the friends need to be online? Or it shows ALL friends who are currently online?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Ok, I've tried for almost an hour to break the friends leaderboard on my PS3 by doing just about everything I can think of with no luck. The friends leaderboard on my PS3 is still working fine for all tables. Time to get some sleep now...work in 7 hrs.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
One more thing:

I have bought the game in the US PSN shop but play it only with my European account. Don't know if this makes a difference...

ParallaxScroll

Aug 21, 2012
I updated to 2.11 on PS3 and now my friends leaderboard for every table is blank. It does not even show my own score. Every table just says "None." This is the same whether I view the leaderboards from the main menu, a table menu, or during a paused game.

Just downloaded the patch. Went straight to the leaderboards and everything was fine at first. My friends scores loaded normally. Then I started scrolling through each table leaderboard and things were ok for each table, but went haywire when I got to Genie. Now it says "None" for each table.

Edit: exiting the leaderboards and coming back, everything is fine again...until I scroll over to the Genie leaderboard.

I have "None" for each table like you do, but I did not have to go to Genie first. It's been "None" for every table since the moment I installed the update.

One thing off the top of my head is...did everyone who is seeing this issue participate in the PS3 tournament? The reason why I ask is because I didn't and all my leaderboard tabs are working fine.

I did not participate in the tournament.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I checked this today and my friends leaderboard only has my own scores in the #1 spot. No one else is listed on the friends list at all. I was in the tournament if that helps. Kind of weird, seems that there are a lot of different ways it's broken.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
? From Facebook:
Brent Halpenny Made a discovery about leaderboard bug in PS3 update 2.11. If you use the leaderboards option at main menu your scores and your friends won't all show up. If you use the leaderboards option from within the game under table settings option, then all of your scores and your friends will show up. If you want to see all table scores, you can still use arrows to scroll across other tables.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.