Wow, 1981?

Wehrwolf

Oct 25, 2012
This is an impressive example of what was available for pinball in 1981 compared to video games. This game came out 4 years before the NES? Heck, a year before the Atari 5200... The Atari 2600 was still the main home console of the time.

Or to compare to to arcade games, Donkey Kong and Galaga were from 1981 iirc.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Seriously, this table is something else. I was too young to really appreciate it then but I could definitely imagine playing this at a Rico's Pizza in between D&D sessions while killing time waiting for the night's Iron Maiden show.

I generally prefer the early SS tables to the DMD ones (not that they're bad), and I'm pretty sure this is my fave on TPA now. Fantastic and fun as all hell.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Very cool demi-retro table. In retrospect I must say the visual pinbal version I played didn't do it justice.

Man-Machine

Dec 6, 2012
Finally a table that I find easy right from the beginning. I honestly thought the saving of bonuses from one ball to another was a bug and thus the reason for my relatively good scoring inte first few games. I hit all the wizard goals in something like two games. This probably won't hold up :)
Good table, anyway.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
this is the original table shown with the full height back glass. Because this table was so popular a second release happened in June '83. That was centaur 2 same table same play field. It has the half height back glass and the say it again sound board that reverbed. TPA was nice enough to include this in our TPA version however supposedly the real life centaur 1 did not have the reverb sound board / card.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Very cool demi-retro table. In retrospect I must say the visual pinbal version I played didn't do it justice.
29 years ago there was a real life version 2 miles down the road from where i am sitting. The arcade folded years ago that said unless i have a time machine to go back 29 years with a pocket full of quarters this virtual version is the next best thing !

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
I was at La Mirada , Ca. swapmeet on my first Summer job , helping the East Indian vendor sell Atari 2600 and 5200 cartridges and Intelivision , when one week they had a hot new import system , the NINE tendo as they pronounced it , which came with Duck Hunt and a lightgun or a robot game. But in those days , Pinball was still quite popular and every arcade had at least 2 Pins .

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
this is the original table shown with the full height back glass. Because this table was so popular a second release happened in June '83. That was centaur 2 same table same play field. It has the half height back glass and the say it again sound board that reverbed. TPA was nice enough to include this in our TPA version however supposedly the real life centaur 1 did not have the reverb sound board / card.

Centaur 1 (with the full-size backglass) definitely has the reverb sound card. I have one here - all original as far as I know. Previous owner had it, untouched, for over 20 years.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Centaur 1 (with the full-size backglass) definitely has the reverb sound card. I have one here - all original as far as I know. Previous owner had it, untouched, for over 20 years.
this is correct. the operators manual lists the say it again module AS-2518-81 as a part for the original centaur one.

Crusty Booger

Apr 13, 2013
Um...this table is badass. Never had the fortune of playing it live, but man what a table. As a multiball freak, it is golden. Can't believe this was 81.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Um...this table is badass. Never had the fortune of playing it live, but man what a table. As a multiball freak, it is golden. Can't believe this was 81.
this table was ahead of its time back in the day. College got centaur 2 brand new in fall '83 after it was released June '83

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
I like this one. The dark design. The samples and the gameplay.
Might have seen this one when I was a kid. Never played it though... Till now :)

karl

May 10, 2012
I am usually not that fond of pinball machines taunting me (best example: Dr Dude) but I can't get enough of the speech in Centaur. I almost want to hit the left side straight on just to hear him say "only single value?" or miss the rollovers to get the "Bad move Human" comment. The rules on this machine is like nothing else from that time period that I have played. This machine is Fantastic! TPA needs more Bally machines from this period

Now get to work on Eight ball Deluxe, please ;)

Eegah

May 12, 2013
BAD MOVE, HUMAN should have been the voice clip for selecting the table from the select screen.

mrgamesmaster

May 29, 2013
I agree there. CENTAUR is nice and all, but that taunt is just classic. Just found a 5 ball version at a local Tilt arcade and pretty much fell in love with it. My fiancé has played it too and she feels the same way. Gonna be lots of fun on the Pad. ;)

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
I agree there. CENTAUR is nice and all, but that taunt is just classic. Just found a 5 ball version at a local Tilt arcade and pretty much fell in love with it. My fiancé has played it too and she feels the same way. Gonna be lots of fun on the Pad. ;)
I wish this had came with the PRO treatment i would go into the menu and set it for 5 balls. My best games were played on the 5 ball version at the mall arcade 29 years ago.

Members online

Members online