The left outlane!

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
I am finding (at least on the Android version) that about 70% of the balls that leave the pop bumpers with any speed go directly down the left outlane. It's worse than the dreaded pop bumpers in a real Twilight Zone table! :)

Is the real PinBot table like that?

I am enjoying this table, but the nudging required is a bit tedious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Dpdropout

Jul 18, 2012
It's the same on iOS. Also unpredictable when the ball is released from the top holes.
I don't remember the real table behaving like this at all.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Well let's put it this way: Google around and you'll find a dude who got rid of his real machine specifically because of that bumper to outlane drain. Pin*Bot's kindof a jerk.

Really though, I've never seen a table so intent on punishing you for success. Make the skill shot? Out of the bumpers straight to the drain. Make that 25/50/75/EB shot to the left? Good job, kickout STDM. Set up the visors for multiball? Awesome, now pray that only one ball is released straight down the middle. Got that solar bonus? Cool, off to the bumpers and you know where.

Still love the table tho which says more about my psyche than anything else.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I find the iOS version to play very well. I try to nudge anytime the ball comes out of the bumpers with speed. I can't save it all of the time, but I keep a few out.
The real life one I play has some angry outlanes, so you won't hear me complain about the current setup on TPA.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Well let's put it this way: Google around and you'll find a dude who got rid of his real machine specifically because of that bumper to outlane drain. Pin*Bot's kindof a jerk.

Really though, I've never seen a table so intent on punishing you for success. Make the skill shot? Out of the bumpers straight to the drain. Make that 25/50/75/EB shot to the left? Good job, kickout STDM. Set up the visors for multiball? Awesome, now pray that only one ball is released straight down the middle. Got that solar bonus? Cool, off to the bumpers and you know where.

Still love the table tho which says more about my psyche than anything else.
What you've described is why I've never liked Pinbot. Not a big fan of games that punish you when you haven't done anything wrong.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The left outlane was already a pain in PHoF version. You launch ball, vortex, bumpers, and the ball goes straight to the left outlane, like there was a magnet. o_O

Okay, maybe it was the same thing IRL (it must be, because left outlane was already greedy... in the NES version!), but sometimes, it seems totally overdone!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm lucky to have a game last more than 5 minutes on a real Pinbot, so this seems fairly accurate, but easier.

Last edited:

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Even Whirlwind with its spinning discs doesn't casually toss balls into the drain or down the outlanes like Pin•Bot does.

Ahemmmm :) so... you play whirlwind... That's interesting... ;) Dr. Dude's right hand and what not ;)

Anyway... Firepower is far worse. I've got to admit I have to relearn nudging on iPad. It's a whole new game for me now. But once I get used to it, I'm pretty sure I can avoid those outlanes.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
I am finding (at least on the Android version) that about 70% of the balls that leave the pop bumpers with any speed go directly down the left outlane. It's worse than the dreaded pop bumpers in a real Twilight Zone table! :)

Is the real PinBot table like that?

Absolutely.

Day

Jan 9, 2013
to add to the chorus of whingers.....if only to state the 2 outlane drain instances that leave me somewhat frustrated:

i) the ball accelerates down and lands squarely in the middle of the left inlane, and in real world physics, all momentum would be absorbed by the inlane walls, momentum & speed killed and the ball would continue on down the inlane. on TPA PinBot the ball will somehow wriggle back up and over into the outlane.... gobble, burp, more please!

ii) the ball will be travelling back up the left inlane at speed and will travel vertically up beyond the end of the guide rails/post separator. without any collisions and whilst travelling vertically upwards, on descent the ball will suddenly vector leftwards into the left outlane

i accept most losses arising out of propulsion from the jets into the outlane, or any other vector that puts the ball squarely into the jaws of left outlane oblivion.... but the above 2 cases just really cheese me off

Oh and whilst on the subject, weighted steel balls do not travel horizontally across space on an inclined playfield without any rate of descent at all (in defiance of gravity).... sure the greater the speed of the ball the slower the rate of descent, but some of the ball antics in seeking out an outlane drain belong to the world of quantum mechanics ;)

here's hoping the implementation of advanced nudge control on android will help to redress the imbalances here

Last edited:

Day

Jan 9, 2013
please excuse me for the above post... i'm talking complete cr@p...if there was a strikethrough for the font (as in bold italic etc) i would have used it....

i've just played at least 5 tournament games on pinbot where perhaps 80% of ball losses were to the voracious left outlane drain monster, many of which originating from the jet bumpers; the other 20% either to misjudged leaves for the centre post or to the less scary right outlane.

my nexus 7 is lucky still to be in one piece. what i really need is a stress ball, punch bag or similar, close to hand for these most aggravating moments

Last edited:

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
please excuse me for the above post... i'm talking complete cr@p...if there was a strikethrough for the font (as in bold italic etc) i would have used it....

i've just played at least 5 tournament games on pinbot where perhaps 80% of ball losses were to the voracious left outlane drain monster, many of which originating from the jet bumpers; the other 20% either to misjudged leaves for the centre post or to the less scary right outlane.

my nexus 7 is lucky still to be in one piece. what i really need is a stress ball, punch bag or similar, close to hand for these most aggravating moments

Now, Now...I broke an iPad 3 when Dr. Dude first came out. Very expensive game of pinball. Actually just bumped it on my knee and broke the digitizer.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Just played a real Pin•Bot this weekend for the first time in ages. Its left outlane is just as cruel as TPA's.

(And slightly off-topic, but Pin•Bot looks smashing when tricked out with LEDs. They really bring out the primary colors on the playfield.)

N

netizen

Just played a real Pin•Bot this weekend for the first time in ages. Its left outlane is just as cruel as TPA's.

(And slightly off-topic, but Pin•Bot looks smashing when tricked out with LEDs. They really bring out the primary colors on the playfield.)

pics or it didn't happen :p

Members online

Members online