My Pinball Arcade Cabinet (iPinCade)

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Nice job Codeena!

I don't play mobile but what you have done there is very impressive. Build quality looks good too! That's something I always look for on a real table :)

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I've been thinking about making one of these since I added side buttons to my iCade Core but seeing how great yours turned out has really inspired me. I couldn't fall asleep last night because I kept thinking about it!

The way you have the iPad inset appears that it will make it easier to upgrade when Apple changes the case design. I believe the iPad 5 will be a different sized case. This is one of the biggest reasons I have been holding off on making a "iPinCade". I was thinking it would become obsolete as soon as I buy an iPad 5 (assuming the case changes), but from your pictures it looks like you can modify the size of the iPad inset to fit in the future.

I hope you don't mind... I have many questions for you!

- First of all, do you mind sharing your dimensions?
- What did you use to make the plastic bezel that surrounds the iPad?
- Can you provide more information on how you made the lockdown bar? That looks like it might be the most difficult part of the project for me.
- Did you set up the bottom of the unit as an access panel in case you need to open it up in the future?
- Have you tried playing Black Knight and how difficult is it to press your red "coin door" buttons to activate the Magna Saves?
- You mentioned in the iCade Core mod thread that you also installed a power button and the red power light. I can't see them in your pics. Did you mount them on the back?

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I had troubles getting sleep too, all i could think off how i am gonne do this. (39 years old, hahahah, ;-) )

But..... I still want to wait for customable buttons on pa. Cause i am afraid iff new options, more buttons show up my cabinet is not working properly anymore.

I need the customable buttons like in zaccaria.

But this is 100% sure i am gonne build one. This topic is a delight to read, cant wait for a video and the review of how much fun it is compared to just only using the ipad.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Just thought of another question for you. Did you cut out and use the iCade's battery compartment or did you use something else?

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Looks really great, very impressive! This is what I had envisioned but I never thought of adding more width to it. How wide is it?

Hey Sotie, thanks! The playfield width is 10" wide, and the backglass is 11.25" wide.

I thought it wasn't possible to connect two bluetooth devices at the same time. I just tried connecting my iCade and Jambox bluetooth speaker and both work. TPA sounds great with the external speaker.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps a non-bluetooth speaker plugged into the headphone jack would be easier to find. It'd need to be relatively small too.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Excellent stuff. Shame the backglass decal couldn't be swapped out with ease as then you could have printed out all the different tables backglasses and just swapped them out depending on what able you were playing

Hey Lettuce, good to see you here too (I'm also in VPForums, but joined here recently). I've actually thought of that too--to print out and laminate each table b.g. and I've made it easy to swap out--see the backglass in the 3rd photo? Those black plastic pieces slide over the plexiglass and artwork to hold them in. The plexi pops out after I push it out from the back. To me, it'd take too long to print out each, and new tables are released quite often. So I thought maybe the tablet idea instead. But thanks for mentioning it!

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I was also thinking of plugging a speaker into the headphone jack and placing the speaker in the back box.

Did you see the questions I asked you in two separate posts earlier? I'm already starting to think of more questions for you but I don't want to bombard you yet! Okay, well I can't resist:

Where did you find the bezel that you used for the "coin door"?
In the last picture you posted it appears that your iPad is flush mounted. If that's the case, how do you access it for removal?

Codeena

May 5, 2013
This thing should be on the front page of the new Farsight home page (when they get round to updating it)

What a beauty! A piece of true art. Well done

Wow, thank you Karl! Yeah, how often does Farsight update their actual site?

Wow, looks amazing! I'll take it, how much? ;)

Thanks Turbine! How about just taking me out to a fancy dinner, like Wendy's or BK, and we'd end it off with a long hug?

You could make a small fortune producing these. :eek:

I wish! :D

Nice job Codeena!

I don't play mobile but what you have done there is very impressive. Build quality looks good too! That's something I always look for on a real table :)

Thanks kimkom. Are you talking about a virtual table? I am really hoping for Farsight to give full support virtual cabinets. There are a lot more full-size cabs out there then some may think. Plus, seeing examples of cabs may influence others to build one. It took me about a year after seeing one before I decided to build mine. Once awesome software like TPA comes out with cab support, I'm guessing that would even have more people join in. Obviously, it's a lot more pricey than this iPinCade but I love them both. From Jeff Strong's interview with Bobby King, cab support looks really promising. Plus, Farsight really seems to listen to their customers and fan base, most of them from this great site.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
I've been thinking about making one of these since I added side buttons to my iCade Core but seeing how great yours turned out has really inspired me. I couldn't fall asleep last night because I kept thinking about it!

The way you have the iPad inset appears that it will make it easier to upgrade when Apple changes the case design. I believe the iPad 5 will be a different sized case. This is one of the biggest reasons I have been holding off on making a "iPinCade". I was thinking it would become obsolete as soon as I buy an iPad 5 (assuming the case changes), but from your pictures it looks like you can modify the size of the iPad inset to fit in the future.

I hope you don't mind... I have many questions for you!

- First of all, do you mind sharing your dimensions?
- What did you use to make the plastic bezel that surrounds the iPad?
- Can you provide more information on how you made the lockdown bar? That looks like it might be the most difficult part of the project for me.
- Did you set up the bottom of the unit as an access panel in case you need to open it up in the future?
- Have you tried playing Black Knight and how difficult is it to press your red "coin door" buttons to activate the Magna Saves?
- You mentioned in the iCade Core mod thread that you also installed a power button and the red power light. I can't see them in your pics. Did you mount them on the back?

Hey Sotie, I was actually thinking of adding side and front buttons to my original iCade (or just build a new arcade-style cab). I'd like to have an arcade cab that can play pinball too.

- I don't mind sharing my dimensions, but what about those of my iPinCade? The playfield length/depth is 13". Playfield area front face height is 4"; back height is 6". The backbox is 6.5" tall.
- The plastic bezel was made from a company named Sintra. I cut down a scrap piece I had from a long time ago. We used to use them to mount posters at my old workplace. Not sure where to get them.
- The original chrome lockdown bar is from a home-use pinball table I had. I decided to have it cut (by a co-worker) towards the ends--you can see where they were cut. On the underside, I used epoxy putty to bond them together. I then sanded the crap out of it--there was chrome and then copper plating to get through. After that, I used a fine-medium grit sand paper and made straight strokes to get the brushed steel look. The lockdown bar took the longest to do. I guess you can order a custom one for $150ish but I wasn't willing to pay that. I'd rather make a fake one (perhaps out of aluminum or wood).
- Yes, I have an access door in the back, which has hinges and a cabinet magnet to help keep it in. I'll post a pic soon. But in order to get to the innards, I have a 1/8" board that the iPad lays on that comes off. I need to open the access door to pop it out. I bought some black rubber-foam weatherstrip that keeps the iPad in place.
- I haven't tried Black Knight but tried Harley. Thanks for the info on the special buttons on those games, by the way. It's okay using the coin door mini-button but I think using the start or launch button would be easier, as I mentioned on your post. BTW, I did try wiring two to one button and it does work, but obviously shows both of them working at the same time. So, in Harley, when I press to launch the ball, the ball launches and you can see the pop-up saver between the flippers activate at the same time, which isn't a big deal. Now, whether this damages the iCade encoder or not, I do not know. Perhaps the special button should be joined to the start button instead so you wouldn't waste a magna save?
- I did mount your power button in the back but it doesn't seem to work properly for me, so I don't use it. The led light is just inside and I could see it through a hole in the back (going to mount it later after I extend the wiring). It's different than the core's light because mine is an actual board with a led on it.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
I had troubles getting sleep too, all i could think off how i am gonne do this. (39 years old, hahahah, ;-) )

But..... I still want to wait for customable buttons on pa. Cause i am afraid iff new options, more buttons show up my cabinet is not working properly anymore.

I need the customable buttons like in zaccaria.

But this is 100% sure i am gonne build one. This topic is a delight to read, cant wait for a video and the review of how much fun it is compared to just only using the ipad.

Awesome Dutch. You won't regret it because it really adds to the fun. As far as waiting for the buttons, you could always easily switch around the microswitches in the future. Also, I'm guessing that you will probably want two buttons on each side, so you can just drill those. I'm almost maxed out on every input, including the joystick's inputs. I would like to have each input configurable including the joys. I mentioned it on a Zaccaria post too.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
I was also thinking of plugging a speaker into the headphone jack and placing the speaker in the back box.

Did you see the questions I asked you in two separate posts earlier? I'm already starting to think of more questions for you but I don't want to bombard you yet! Okay, well I can't resist:

Where did you find the bezel that you used for the "coin door"?
In the last picture you posted it appears that your iPad is flush mounted. If that's the case, how do you access it for removal?

The coin door bezel is actually from a remnant of a plastic monitor bezel from Happ Controls. It has a nice texture that kinda reminds me to those on coin doors.

As far as your battery question-I did cut out the plastic part surrounding it, although not very straight. I don't use the cover since it's on the inside.

Codeena

May 5, 2013

Just saw this Sotie. Yes, I can remove the rubber/foam that surround and support the iPad. The opening for the iPad is 8 9/16" W x 9 3/4" L--definitely large enough to fit all current iPads and probably any future ones...unless they increase the size considerably, which I would actually prefer since the larger the screen, the better.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Thanks for your response to my questions Codeena. :)

- What is the width of the unit?
- So the entire 1/8" board supporting the iPad is covered in the black rubber/foam weatherstrip? Then the bezel fits over the iPad? How do you know exactly where to place the iPad when the bezel is removed?
- How did you attach your lockdown bar to the wood?
- Are those 1.5" buttons you used for the Start and Launch?

I wonder why your power switch didn't work. I think I'll mount the switch and led power indicator on the back left side so it won't interfere with the access panel on the rear.

Also, I'm considering using the same small Sanwa 24mm on the sides for the special buttons. I just tested BK and you're right a magna save will be wasted if wired to the launch button. You mentioned possibly wiring the right special to the start button, but keep in mind that there is also a left special and it would get confusing in BK because the side would be reversed.

I had the thought of going with 4 mini buttons instead of 3 if I mount the specials on the sides. So for the mini buttons it would be Pause and Joystick Left, Right and Up. This would make scrolling through the tables list easier because you'd have the launch button for scrolling down and a mini button for scrolling up. This will also allow a bit of "future proofing" in case FS decides to map the joystick left/right later on.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Thanks for your response to my questions Codeena. :)

- What is the width of the unit?
- So the entire 1/8" board supporting the iPad is covered in the black rubber/foam weatherstrip? Then the bezel fits over the iPad? How do you know exactly where to place the iPad when the bezel is removed?
- How did you attach your lockdown bar to the wood?
- Are those 1.5" buttons you used for the Start and Launch?

I wonder why your power switch didn't work. I think I'll mount the switch and led power indicator on the back left side so it won't interfere with the access panel on the rear.

Also, I'm considering using the same small Sanwa 24mm on the sides for the special buttons. I just tested BK and you're right a magna save will be wasted if wired to the launch button. You mentioned possibly wiring the right special to the start button, but keep in mind that there is also a left special and it would get confusing in BK because the side would be reversed.

I had the thought of going with 4 mini buttons instead of 3 if I mount the specials on the sides. So for the mini buttons it would be Pause and Joystick Left, Right and Up. This would make scrolling through the tables list easier because you'd have the launch button for scrolling down and a mini button for scrolling up. This will also allow a bit of "future proofing" in case FS decides to map the joystick left/right later on.

You're welcome. Sorry, my reply to your width question is above on this page-not sure why it showed up as a reply to a reply-The playfield width is 10" wide, and the backglass is 11.25" wide.

The 1/8" thick board (has a contact paper on it) is only surrounded by the 1/4" wide by 3/8" tall weatherstrip. The iPad rests directly on the board and the strips keep it from moving around too much. Yes, the bezel just lays on top of the iPad and weatherstrip-I was going to use velcro but find it unnecessary. So the weatherstrip makes a little box shape where the iPad fits around, and it's easy to pick up the iPad.

The lockdown bar is just mounted to the cabinet with double-stick mounting tape.

I made the start and plunger holes the same way as you would pinball buttons: 1.375" drill spade about 1/2 way through the wood, then 1" for the button shafts. They are illuminated pushbuttons from Happ, around 1.25" bezel. The shafts are smaller than standard pushbuttons. Eventually, I may add a battery-powered light to them.

Good to know about Black Knight's button. I actually was going to do 4 buttons on the front, which I could've fit, but like the coin door look. My 3rd mini button is the table select-up button now (since it's closest to the launch/down-select). I have 2 holes for mini buttons in the back for up and down, if I need to move them. Plus I have a normal sized pushbutton in the back.

For the bezel, I was originally hoping for FS it so the entire game could be navigated without the touchscreen. Then I was going to make a plexiglass bezel. But I decided prefer the open bezel. I can use the on-screen plunger the way it was intended (for non-pushbutton launch titles). Plus, I could easily switch views. Lastly, it's easier to take off the bezel this way.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Every hour i got new ideas, lol.

Codeena, did you use the icade core? Or the normal icade?

And about the sort of wood for the cabinet. Is it wise to keep the weight as low as possible, or do i want this thing a bit heavy? Whats most practical and better for gameplay? (I will only use it at home)

About the backbox, i think i will first build a machine to play,mthen save some money and build the backbox.

For the small speakers i maybe have an idea, little carspeakers. But not sure they are small wnough and if i can get it powered and how.

Digital photo frame for backbox. And i will use an old iphone, or other smartphone to use as dmd. Off course, that is not supported yet, so, that can change.

Then the last phase, i want to add led lights, maybe interact with sound or something like that.

But ok...... Lets get an icade, will be my third try. Anybody in holland succeded in ordering one?

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
10" width is a good and comfortable size. My iCade Core is 10" and I think anything less would feel too tight and uncomfortable for gameplay. Before I buy anything I need to find a lockdown bar.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Every hour i got new ideas, lol.

Codeena, did you use the icade core? Or the normal icade?

And about the sort of wood for the cabinet. Is it wise to keep the weight as low as possible, or do i want this thing a bit heavy? Whats most practical and better for gameplay? (I will only use it at home)

About the backbox, i think i will first build a machine to play,mthen save some money and build the backbox.

For the small speakers i maybe have an idea, little carspeakers. But not sure they are small wnough and if i can get it powered and how.

Digital photo frame for backbox. And i will use an old iphone, or other smartphone to use as dmd. Off course, that is not supported yet, so, that can change.

Then the last phase, i want to add led lights, maybe interact with sound or something like that.

But ok...... Lets get an icade, will be my third try. Anybody in holland succeded in ordering one?

I used the original iCade, but either one should be the same. It is made of particle wood-laminated shelves. I'd recommend a heavier unit so it doesn't move around during game play. Also, I have 4 rubber feet for added stability and to protect the surfaces it lies on. Yeah, I kept brainstorming for ideas like some kind of force feedback, lights, bling, etc. but I figured a lot of them could be added later.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Yeah.... I am gonne make it playable first, and later on add bells and whistles.

Ok, then i go for the core, is cheaper. Thanks.

Edit

Got my wood, tomorrow i hope to borrow someones electric saw to make the cabinet. I think i will make the playfield even steeper then yours. Or maybe that i can alter the angle, not sure.

I have heavy laminated planks. For backbox i will use teak wood i think, but lets first saw the cabinet.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.