iOS: iPinballs: Gangster Pinball

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
H162D3S.jpg

YDasPJJh.jpg

There's a new pinball title called iPinballs. It's decently done, I suppose, and normally I'd probably buy this. But it's free-to-play bull****. You get one ball for free, and everything else, as far as I can tell, must be purchased using in-game currency. You start with 3,000 coins, I think, and you can get another 3,000 for authenticating with Facebook.

But if you do the Facebook thing, make sure you shut it off right away, because the game is going to ask to post on your wall after every single game. And again, every game is only one ball long, so you'll be doing this pretty often. Well, you'll be doing this for a couple of minutes, at least, until you uninstall the game forever and ever. If you go into Settings.app to disable the app's access to Facebook, you'll get an error message inside of the game. That's cool.

yNpoxGA.jpg

I haven’t bought anything, even with my free coins, but everything looks consumable. It doesn’t seem possible to purchase a complete no-bull**** three pinball game. Here’s the shop:

EVSNWHZ.jpg

It's not all bad, though. When you lose, you get to hear the sad Price Is Right "too bad, you just lost" horn sound. So there's that. And there's also some pretty hilarious voiceover work in Eastern-European sounding broken English that's pretty great. I converted the Core Audio voiceover file and threw it into Dropbox for your amusement. You can hear that here. From their App Store description, they imply that your purchase will get you all of their future tables for free. But with their toxic business model and their super low userbase, I’m guessing we might not see anything else. But whatever, it’s free, so give it a download if you want.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
You can't even do a dead flipper pass. No bounce in the flippers. And one ball games stink. Yuck!
It is free but still not worth downloading.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
thanks for the heads up / review. i will pass on this completely this is not a good trend making it all consumable. Pinball rocks had a "cheats" feature that used this business model that i do not like however you could play the regular game and ignore the end of game popup do you want to use an extra ball (consumable and only by purchase). This example is much worse with one ball only games and coins that can be wiped out in a few "balls" or "games".

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Thanks for posting the audio file. The accent is hilarious considering that she describes it as "A view of old American life".

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts