A good strategy or tactics for Champion Pub?

Aleksandar

Jun 2, 2013
Hallo
I like this theme very much, and I never played the real table.
I found out that it is very easy to stun the opponent if you let the ball rest at this block (?) in the middle and then shoot the ramps, but I find it hard to hit the jaw...couldn't figure out the angle yet.
Also my best with spittoon is 9 arrrrrgh I hate that standard goal, anybody a good tactic for that one?
My best score is around 70 million not very high...
Anybody some hints?

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
This is one of the only tables that so far I find easier to play in real life. I think in real life I managed about 70M but so far on TPA my best is a paltry 19M, making it my lowest HOF point scoring table yet, beating even CC (another one that i can play better IRL) into second place.

My buddy who used to own one swore that the best policy for big scores was always to go for 2 x purse, as this way, by locking balls and always doubling up the purse each time, you could always make every fight worth a big points prize. I haven't got comfortable with all the angles yet - hence my crappy scores - but when I do, that's where I'll be starting out.

More input needed please!

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Hallo
I like this theme very much, and I never played the real table.
I found out that it is very easy to stun the opponent if you let the ball rest at this block (?) in the middle and then shoot the ramps, but I find it hard to hit the jaw...couldn't figure out the angle yet.
Also my best with spittoon is 9 arrrrrgh I hate that standard goal, anybody a good tactic for that one?
My best score is around 70 million not very high...
Anybody some hints?

You can use a smart punch to finish off a KO instead of hitting the boxers face after the ramp trick that you mentioned. You get those from the punch symbol on the skill shot, or as a random award from the door prize. For the video mode, sometimes you have to willingly sacrifice missing a few in order to get the 10. In other words, don't race to the other side of the screen to get one of the spittles (?) if there is one near you and getting the one farther away might mean missing two. I find the video mode on an actual TCP to be much friendlier- the flipper buttons seem more responsive and have better control than the touch screen.

clembo2021

Apr 3, 2013
You can use a smart punch to finish off a KO instead of hitting the boxers face after the ramp trick that you mentioned. You get those from the punch symbol on the skill shot, or as a random award from the door prize. For the video mode, sometimes you have to willingly sacrifice missing a few in order to get the 10. In other words, don't race to the other side of the screen to get one of the spittles (?) if there is one near you and getting the one farther away might mean missing two. I find the video mode on an actual TCP to be much friendlier- the flipper buttons seem more responsive and have better control than the touch screen.

All the TPA video modes are much less responsive than their real DMD counterparts. I first noticed this in ST:TNG.

Aleksandar

Jun 2, 2013
Yes that video mode makes me crazy...agian and again my best is 9! So depressing I want to come to wizard goals! But thanx for the tips so far. You also get a smart punch if you accomplish 20 jumps!

doveton

Mar 7, 2013
the video mode seems more luck than judgement to me, i have done it once but only cause the game went easy on me and i didnt have to move the spitoon too much. half the time it seems almost impossible to do

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013

What I do to easily get through all the fights and to the Ultimate Challenge is to build up Smart Punches and use that plug in the middle to take the ramp shots like you said. Go for the Smart Punch on ball launch. Lock balls and get the Smart Punch from those launches at well. Try to complete the Training modules to get more Punches.

In the first 3 fights, you just let the ball rest on the center drain plug and easily hit the ramps... once you're ready for the knockout punch (2 ramps 1st fight, 3 ramps 2nd fight, etc) use the Smart Punch. The first 3 fights are easy to complete this way. For the fourth against The Master he hits you too fast, so I use Smart Punches, if you have at least 3 you can get him quick. Sometimes I may save my Smart Punches and not go for knockouts on the first two fights since they aren't too hard to beat normally, that way I'll have plenty for The Master.

Last edited:

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
You want a strategy: OK,

Multiply your scoring bonus by 2x 5-6 times. Hit the spitting gallery a few times and then on your first boxing match, hit the KO JP for 64 million points. Then try to do that other nonsense. Note the deflated look of the leaderboards and know that there is no way anyone will beat your score. Unless he was taking notes.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
you can get a extra smart punch whenever you hear a fly buzz after hitting the punching bag in the middle by hitting the X button (ps3).
I learned this from this website. http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/Cows&Easter.htm#M

This is really useful (and quite easy to pull off on a controller as you don't need to lift your hand off the flipper to hit the button)! Thanks.

One tip I discovered last night regarding training. So you want to avoid the punch bag when you can as it's a risky, risky, risky shot. But you can often get your health bar up enough to start a fight on the jump rope or fist area (not sure what to call it as it's a punch bag, too) without "completing" it, and thus you can use that section again for the next training session.

Say you've beaten a boxer, and have only lost three bars. Go to the jump rope and only jump three times. That way it will still be lit and you can use it next time. Then if the next boxer really takes a chunk out of your life, you can go back and use the jump rope right up to 30. Same thing applies to the fist area. I think it's about five times you can use them before they're marked as complete? And this value holds, so if you do it three times, mess up, then go back and do two, it will be marked as complete so you can't just build up your life in increments. When it's marked as complete you might as well keep going for the rewards as it's not going to be relit once you finish.

I found this really useful as it essentially meant that instead of having to focus on the punch bag for once every three training sessions, you only need to do it once every five (as you can use the other two twice before having to relight them, possibly even more if you're having a good game!) And stray shots to the punch bag will make sure when you do need to focus on it, it should be completed quickly. This is enough to safely and quickly get you to the final fighter with only having to train on the punch bag once, as you essentially have only two shots to make between most fighters (to training area of choice, and then to start fight). And use combo shots and smart punch KO to make quick work of the fighters themselves. It's a simple change but actually made a big difference for me.

As an aside, the fists are the only time in pinball where spamming the flippers is actually beneficial!

Last edited:

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
espy, your method of training in definitely valid, and the safest. I believe the punching bag in the upper right corner is called a "speed bag" in boxing terminology.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
espy, your method of training in definitely valid, and the safest. I believe the punching bag in the upper right corner is called a "speed bag" in boxing terminology.

Pretty much every time I have to hit the punchbag more than three or four times I end up losing a ball. So I figured out ways to avoid it as much as possible. It's relatively easy to keep your ball under control in this game, but if the ball is out of control it's probably going to drain, and the punch bag is one surefire way of sending it out of control.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
I just stopped by the Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda where they have a CPUB, and I played a few games. I gotta say, this table is far easier in real life, or at least their table was. You can actually trap the ball from many of the shots! I hit the yellow target next to the stairs on the left without instantly draining! I beat the Spitoon Mode... twice!

I didn't exactly play well, mind you -- maybe 45M or so -- but it was definitely an easier time than on the iPad.

Members online

Members online