A couple of issues

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
The NW targets are not the same colour! Both should be yellow!

Secondly when the ball is full-plunged it should travel around the inner look (with the green arrow).

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The NW targets are not the same colour! Both should be yellow!
Something must have changed then, because I specifically checked the color of the inserts during the iOS beta. (And I know I did this because the "SE" insert in the compass used to read "SS".)

Secondly when the ball is full-plunged it should travel around the inner loop (with the green arrow).
This is machine-dependent. Some Whirlwinds do exactly this, others can make it up the 3 Toll ramp instead, still others don't exhibit either behavior.

Last edited:

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Everyone is talking about this on a full plunge. Do you guys mean more like a 2/3 plunge? A full plunge hits the side of the ramp for me every time, but dialing it back usually takes the ball up.

clembo2021

Apr 3, 2013
This is machine-dependent. Some Whirlwinds do exactly this, others can make it up the 3 Toll ramp instead, still others don't exhibit either behavior.

Based on the software it's clear that the intended behavior is NOT to go around the 3toll ramp. The first multiball start is "easier" than the others because you can make the under the ramp shot to start multiball. Whereas after the first multiball you have to go up the 3toll ramp (the harder way to start multiball). When you can plunge the 3toll ramp, that's a free multiball start everytime. So the easy extra method of starting 1st multiball is a complete waste.

But since some people are saying its fine being tuned for this broken set up, FS will most likely leave it broken.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Based on the software it's clear that the intended behavior is NOT to go around the 3toll ramp. The first multiball start is "easier" than the others because you can make the under the ramp shot to start multiball. Whereas after the first multiball you have to go up the 3toll ramp (the harder way to start multiball). When you can plunge the 3toll ramp, that's a free multiball start everytime. So the easy extra method of starting 1st multiball is a complete waste.

But since some people are saying its fine being tuned for this broken set up, FS will most likely leave it broken.
One of the things I've learned from both playing a lot of real machines and participating on these forums is that whenever anyone makes any assertion whatsoever about how a machine should behave, there always exists a counterexample of that same machine that, while not broken, behaves differently.

While I agree with you that a Whirlwind probably shouldn't be set up to allow players to plunge the 3 Toll ramp, I can tell you from experience that clean shallow Whirlwinds generally do allow this, especially if the player assists by ramming the plunger instead of plunging normally.

clembo2021

Apr 3, 2013
While I agree with you that a Whirlwind probably shouldn't be set up to allow players to plunge the 3 Toll ramp, I can tell you from experience that clean shallow Whirlwinds generally do allow this, especially if the player assists by ramming the plunger instead of plunging normally.

I think it'd be cool if FS would tone down how powerful the plungers were across all tables (well not Cactus Canyon, otherwise it would never make it up the plunge-ramp). It would help increase the amount of control you have over your plunges as well. The difference between a soft plunge to the flippers and a skill-shot plunge on this table is like 1 pixel difference, whereas they're quite different on a real table (though it's still hard to master the super soft plunge). Then they could implement "slam plunges" (where you slam the plunger in instead of pulling it out) for those people who want the ultra-strength full plunges we see now.

haj

Sep 28, 2012
I think it'd be cool if FS would tone down how powerful the plungers were across all tables (well not Cactus Canyon, otherwise it would never make it up the plunge-ramp). It would help increase the amount of control you have over your plunges as well. The difference between a soft plunge to the flippers and a skill-shot plunge on this table is like 1 pixel difference, whereas they're quite different on a real table (though it's still hard to master the super soft plunge). Then they could implement "slam plunges" (where you slam the plunger in instead of pulling it out) for those people who want the ultra-strength full plunges we see now.

+1

mattenno

Aug 17, 2012
There is no way you should be able to plunge the side ramp. It really breaks the game and takes the skill out of the game.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
i agree. a full plunge should shoot the inner loop 100% of the time.

failing that it should strike the standup if you want it to be harder, requiring a less full plunge to make the loop to upper flipper. but the upper flipper is intended to be plungable,

but i'm 99% sure that intended behavior is the free inner loop from a full plunge. sadly the manual is silent on the issue

This is a lawlor tradition. a dangerous official skill shot and a much easier and safer plunge that is usually what you really want to do.

Earthshaker: the skillshot feeds the bumpers. but a full plunge feeds the lower left flipper every time. BUt you can get lucky and have an upper flipper feed off the skillshot.

Funhouse: skillshot gives hard and difficult to handle kickout, but the easier weak plunge gives you a slow ball on lower right flipper to shoot that mirror. That said if you are good at handling that kickout, it's still worth the skillshot.

Twilight Zone. again the easy full plunge avoid the dreaded bumpers while making the skillshot can kill you. EVERYONE who plays this game seriously ignores the skillshot. it's that bad.

NGG: the full plunge up the ramp to shoot at the hole in one is a much better idea than the dangerous skillshot, though the ballsaver helps out there.

SO i declare that for Whirlwind, the easy and safe shot is the full plunge to set up the upper right flipper. The super skill shot is, of course, super weak plunge to lower right flipper and sweep the bank. :)

NOte that TAF breaks this rule. the skillshot is your FRIEND. ALWAYS go for it! part of why it's so popular. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Members online