The music (PS3)

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Is it just me or is the music on this table pretty awful? I'm not sure if the original sounds that bad or if it's just the PS3 version or what but it seems really tinny and poor, especially compared to the speech samples and sound effects.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
The music on White Water is really awesome, but the sound quality is pretty typical of a pre-DCS board (eg. compare Twilight Zone (classic Yamaha chip) to Star Trek: TNG (DCS))

On the original, the quality of the voice clips sound significantly worse than the music, because the sampling is imperfect, while the music is pretty much a midi track.

Last edited:

starck

Jun 7, 2012
from the youtube videos i've looked at, it seems like TPA's audio for this table may be even worse than the actual machines. IMO, of course, and I have nothing to really back this up other than searching on youtube, finding a high quality video (720p and up if possible) and comparing the audio with good headphones.

in general i think TPA's audio is FAR inferior to the audio from actual tables. it doesn't seem to represent the correct sound quality at all. :/ (there are a few exceptions- see monster bash, for example). WW is particularly terrible though. The sound quality is so bad that I can't even bring myself to play this table anymore.

Jul 2, 2012
in general i think TPA's audio is FAR inferior to the audio from actual tables. it doesn't seem to represent the correct sound quality at all. :/ (there are a few exceptions- see monster bash, for example). WW is particularly terrible though. The sound quality is so bad that I can't even bring myself to play this table anymore.

I agree, but I don't think Monster Bash sound quality is particularly good compared to the real thing or other TPA titles. All of the music and sounds (on every title) seem to be missing the higher frequencies.

http://www.mediafire.com/themcd#jc9c26nxa6xco
That isn't my link, I found it on YouTube, but there one can find music samples from some games (look in the Pinball Music folder). I suspect they were recorded directly from the sound systems of the machines and I have to say they sound fantastic. That's what TPA should sound like as well.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
The music is OK, it's only the voice samples as explained above. I can confirm that they are this bad on the real table. Also the original Rom which is used in VP (and TPA) sounds awful.
The shouting during boulder bash sound like skinning a cat alive. I like the table, but I play it almost silent. Don't want my neighbors to call the police or sth.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Here's the thing... those pre-DCS tables didn't even have proper tweeters in them. So as they are building the machines, and putting in $.25 paper cone 2" speakers with no tweeters or magnets, they end up cranking the high-end EQ on the source to give the voices and music some presence in the upper frequencies. The original soundtrack usually comes out OK (midi) but the voices crack and break up around the edges when you play them back on modern speakers with nice tweeters on them.

What FS needs to do, is actually EQ and re-sample the audio at a decent bit-rate to reflect the fact that any modern home theater system has far better speakers than what come stock in a pre-1993 pinball machine. Don't hold your breath.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah I don't count on it.
But my very first request in this forum was about making a sound option with separate control for sfx (voice and so on) and mechanical sounds. Music already is separate.
This could help with some tables (hello gorgar).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.