This table STINKS

doveton

Mar 7, 2013
hate this table so much. worst one on TPA by clear daylight. played it for a while cause i was desperate to get at least 100 HOF points on it, vowed once i managed that i would never ever play it again. and i never have.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
The table itself is fine. Plenty to do and an nigh-impossible wizard goal keeps my interest.

That being said, the sound is awful but that's what Pandora is for.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I like the design of the table, and it has a good replay value because of the wizard goals.
For the 3 million one, it's "doable" with a lot of luck though, by avoiding risk shots and nudging slightly all the time (and I mean each shot). I reach a 800.000 score on my first game, playing wildly, not knowing the rules. Happily the ball is so floaty, because with a fast ball like on the others tables, it would be unplayable. (same for Big Shot)

But the PS3 version looks so much awful that it ruins everything.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I personally find the 3,000,000 goal rather discouraging. I do like the table but it ranks among the lowest in the collection when it comes to playtime.

When TPA came out, i disliked RBION more than I could ever say I dislike this table and that's mainly because RBION taught me a huge lesson and that is that every pin has something to offer some of the time. And some tables can go from being a dislike to among your favorites over the course of a single game where it all clicks. Now, despite the fact that i played maybe 5 or 6 games of RBION in the first 6 months of TPA's existence, now it's one of my most played tables.

I'm hoping that Genie will be that for me. Given how much I've loved most of the older tables that TPA has had released for it, I'm surprised at how unexcited I am in general for it. But I do get enjoyment out of it when I do play, which is mainly when I'm feeling a bit bored of the rest of the tables.

Wigoutboy

Sep 5, 2012
I totally agree with OP. The ball feels way too floaty, the colors are oversaturated and the playfield not only looks like a blurred mess but also has these weird square marks on some places. Absolutely terrible. I don't even know why people complain about BK, it looks amazing and very polished compared to this.

This is the worst table on the game BY FAR, nothing comes even close.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Gooche77 I am with you!! to my fellow bludgers what is all the fuss about Genie great table,if you don`t like it there are 29 other tables.Luvya all !!!:)

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
I played a real Genie for the first time tonight... it's much slower than the TPA version. The table is almost level and the ball is extremely floaty. Very brutal machine, but I'm glad to say that I did pretty well on it because I'd practiced on TPA.

I personally like the table, it can be pretty addictive.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
I sat down last night to play this table (PS3 version) again after quite awhile away from it. Doing so reminded why it had been so long since I played it.

This table STINKS.

The original table itself is bad enough. The design and layout are terrible and the sound effects are just awful. So repetitive and annoying.

But then we get to the TPA implementation of it. Where to start? How about the graphics? They're so oversaturated and overly bright that portions of the table are simply invisible. The upper flippers are nearly invisible, the slingshots completely blend into the outlane, and so on. And everything is just so freaking BRIGHT. Good grief. And then there's the physics. Back when PHOF: Gottlieb came out on the PS2, I picked it up immediately. And I put it down almost as quick. The physics and ball movement on that table were just awful. It seems like they carried that stuff forward into the TPA implementation of Genie. The ball is very floaty and I've had it seemingly decide to just stop rolling in a particular direction and go off another way for no apparent reason.

Bottom line: This might be the worst table on TPA, IMHO. I hate Big Shot, too, but it at least looks and plays correctly. This one is a bad game married with a terrible implementation. YUCK.

/rant

I will say this, Genie is a b*******ingly hard table in both TPA and in real life. I've played the table in both and it's actually pretty close as far as TPA goes, that table is just floaty

FelixTheCat

Dec 25, 2012
Like Jeff Strong and Clawhammer I did not notice the graphics and physics issues with Genie in iOS. The stink Tabe smells is PS3 specific.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
Couldn't agree more. I come back to this table once in a while to finish off that 3M-goal only to get constantly reminded that it is impossible for me. On a GREAT ball I get about 600k. My high score is 1.4M and I can't even understand how I managed to get that. There are just too many "outs" that will kill you on this table. Even if I would learn how to save the left outlane (which I can't) there would still be all those between-flipper-outs.

Of all the tables to put a ridiculous goals on, it had to be this one! Well, I guess Central Park could have been worse.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Frame rate issues on the iPad2 with this. And forced to buy it as part of the pack.

Maybe you should try it on the vacuum, unless it's an old Filter Queen, then you might get bad texture filtering (hepa hepa joy joy)

I don't play this table very often but I find it the most fun when I find myself just scrolling and scrolling trying to decide what to play. Get a few games out of it and move on to Big Shot or something.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Couldn't agree more. I come back to this table once in a while to finish off that 3M-goal only to get constantly reminded that it is impossible for me.

On each ball, focus first on the extra ball (upper playfield), and then, once acquired, you can focus on scoring.

I reached a 2 million score (5 balls) doing that (but I was offline :( ), and now, I score around 1.3 million each "normal" game.

For me, it's easier with 5 balls setting, as you can cumulate extra balls (i.e. if you're on the 5th ball, you can go back to the 2nd or the 3rd).

Whatever, some games are very punitive (only 300.000 points).

A lot of luck is involved for this goal.

Doable but so irritating.

Last edited:

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
For me, it's easier with 5 balls setting, as you can cumulate extra balls (i.e. if you're on the 5th ball, you can go back to the 2nd or the 3rd).

Does this work on a consistent basis, or is it depending on the extra ball glitch?

I am leaning towards the 3-ball setting since I believe it will be one great ball that will do it. I.e. a ball where you max out the bonus and collect it at least 3-4 times, while scoring well on everything else. It is easier to max out one ball if you run on a 3-ball setting and restart, restart, restart!

One thing that could motivate a 5-ball setting is that the major points come from the bonus, and you get more chances to score the bonus with a 5-ball. That's where you will actually get the points in this game!

Last edited:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Does this work on a consistent basis, or is it depending on the extra ball glitch?

I am leaning towards the 3-ball setting since I believe it will be one great ball that will do it. I.e. a ball where you max out the bonus and collect it at least 3-4 times, while scoring well on everything else. It is easier to max out one ball if you run on a 3-ball setting and restart, restart, restart!

One thing that could motivate a 5-ball setting is that the major points come from the bonus, and you get more chances to score the bonus with a 5-ball. That's where you will actually get the points in this game!

That was my previous strategy (1 month ago): 5-ball setting, play "wildly", focus on the extra ball glitch, and... rely on luck.

Bad move. Not very effective. Of course, there was some good games, around 2M, but a lot of very crappy games (under 500K) too.

3-ball setting is finally the way to go.

For the glitch, it's not consistent, and focus on it, is not a good idea (however, focus on one extra ball per ball in game is still crucial)

night

May 18, 2012
I must say I like this table more than I did when it was released. Some tables take some time to get used to.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I must say I like this table more than I did when it was released. Some tables take some time to get used to.

Yep... once you get rid of crappy scores and begin to score decently, it's a good table. :p

To be honest, I always find the table itself very appealing (mini-playfield, targets-maniac), but the TPA execution, rather poor (especially on PS3 version), has kept me away from it.

Once the wizard goal achieved, I thought I won't play it again... but I continue to play regularly.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm just starting to focus on this game. It's kind of like RBION part two for me as I never got into that table either until about a year and a half in.

ChezRoxwell

Feb 20, 2014
Nah OP is right this table is trash. Why does it even have flippers since 50% of scoring on it is luck. I wish if Farsight wanted to recreate these tables they could make two games. Pinball Arcade for the good Bally, Williams modern era tables and Grandpa's Jersey Shore Boardwalk Memories for the two-bit, crap-tier "pinball" tables that some carnie nailed together while drunk.

Members online

Members online