This table STINKS

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I sat down last night to play this table (PS3 version) again after quite awhile away from it. Doing so reminded why it had been so long since I played it.

This table STINKS.

The original table itself is bad enough. The design and layout are terrible and the sound effects are just awful. So repetitive and annoying.

But then we get to the TPA implementation of it. Where to start? How about the graphics? They're so oversaturated and overly bright that portions of the table are simply invisible. The upper flippers are nearly invisible, the slingshots completely blend into the outlane, and so on. And everything is just so freaking BRIGHT. Good grief. And then there's the physics. Back when PHOF: Gottlieb came out on the PS2, I picked it up immediately. And I put it down almost as quick. The physics and ball movement on that table were just awful. It seems like they carried that stuff forward into the TPA implementation of Genie. The ball is very floaty and I've had it seemingly decide to just stop rolling in a particular direction and go off another way for no apparent reason.

Bottom line: This might be the worst table on TPA, IMHO. I hate Big Shot, too, but it at least looks and plays correctly. This one is a bad game married with a terrible implementation. YUCK.

/rant

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It seems like they carried that stuff forward into the TPA implementation of Genie. The ball is very floaty and I've had it seemingly decide to just stop rolling in a particular direction and go off another way for no apparent reason.
Have you ever played a real Genie, or any of the other late-70s SS tables? Pinball was a slower game back then. The ball is supposed to be floaty in Genie; it would be all wrong if it were as fast as a modern table.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Have you ever played a real Genie, or any of the other late-70s SS tables? Pinball was a slower game back then. The ball is supposed to be floaty in Genie; it would be all wrong if it were as fast as a modern table.
Haven't ever played a real Genie but have played plenty of others. I grew up playing Mystic Marvel, a table from the 1950s, so I'm familiar with really old machines and also played plenty of 1970s machines in arcades and since. Even in comparison to other SS tables, Genie doesn't feel right.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The iOS version is fine, but unfortunately the PS3 version is a disaster. It looks absolutely terrible. The physics are ok, but the oversaturation makes it unplayable for me.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I would call a tie between Ps3 Genie's playfield & David Dickinson's tan if they were listed for causes of blindness. Staring at the sun comes a close 2nd.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
what no hate on the pop bumpers? they seem a little better than before but they still need help and then there is the ridiculous 3million wizard goal.
Simpsons comic guy says: "WHURST TEEBLE IVER"

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I didn't like Genie in PHoF because it was way too floaty; the TPA version feels all right though, and I'm finding I really like how the various goals--extra balls, spinner, bonus multiplier, bonus collect--make you use the whole table, big as it is. The brightness is pretty awful, of course. I also don't like how the ball bobbles up off the divot at the base of the right flipper instead of rolling smoothly over it, but maybe that's how it actually was on the table they had, I dunno.

Apr 8, 2012
I didn't like Genie in PHoF because it was way too floaty; the TPA version feels all right though, and I'm finding I really like how the various goals--extra balls, spinner, bonus multiplier, bonus collect--make you use the whole table, big as it is. The brightness is pretty awful, of course. I also don't like how the ball bobbles up off the divot at the base of the right flipper instead of rolling smoothly over it, but maybe that's how it actually was on the table they had, I dunno.

I actually love the way this table plays, but the artwork problems on the PS3 make this and Black Knight the only two tables that I can briefly side with the haters on. I'm looking forward to playing Genie on PC or PS4 though!

pghjerry

Aug 1, 2012
it looks very flat, not dimensional, can't tell were the upper flippers, bumpers, etc, it all looks like one flat surface.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
just wait till it comes out on PC it will be THE BEST TABLE EVER! :p sad when an iphone 3GS plays and looks better than a PS3 :(

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Visually, yes. It's so blown out and flat that it's hard to distinguish the various parts of the table from the playing surface itself.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
the dual stage flippers up top make it tough with those little flippers and most times the ball stays left till drain I cant suffer through this table to even attempt to get the 3mill. wizard goal and thats my only missing one. F'U GENIE! :p

Members online

Members online