Does Goin Nuts have the worst music ever for a pinball game?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It's almost as awful as the original release of Whirlwind! The fan sounds not only drowned the regular music, sound effects and speech but kind of created a symphony of crap happening. The only worse noise I can think of is Nickelback or Molly Hatchet (and a few other similar rock bands to those groups).

mpclemens

Jun 26, 2013
I played one game, thats enough for me.

Seconded. I keep feeling like this is a table you'd find at a children's pizza place, spitting out tickets that could be exchanged for prizes. I love pins, and I love difficult machines, but I'm glad this one never made it out of the prototype stage.

Man-Machine

Dec 6, 2012
Do I remember correctly that tables of the early eighties came with several different options for sound.
I have a distinct memory of playing identical tables with completely different sound at that time? Or have I been dreaming this up?
The sound on Goin Nuts must have been a work in progress anyway, as the table itself is an prototype. They simply can't have been planning a general release of this table sounding like this.

dagwood

Feb 2, 2013
Nuts grates my nerves, bought it and only played it once, that was enough.

Do I remember correctly that tables of the early eighties came with several different options for sound.
I have a distinct memory of playing identical tables with completely different sound at that time? Or have I been dreaming this up?

No, you're not dreaming :) Over the last 30 years, I've owned several late 70's early 80's Gottlieb tables and you could definitely switch between 2 different styles of sound.

Now with regard to the sound of Genie & other 80's pinball sounds being annoying, you guys clearly were not playing pinball during that golden age to appreciate the analogue wonder of those sounds. Remember, we had only just come off tritone bells at that stage. In fact EM crossover tables like Cleopatra were still using bells, so bleeps & bloops were quite an exciting change ;)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Now with regard to the sound of Genie & other 80's pinball sounds being annoying, you guys clearly were not playing pinball during that golden age to appreciate the analogue wonder of those sounds. Remember, we had only just come off tritone bells at that stage. In fact EM crossover tables like Cleopatra were still using bells, so bleeps & bloops were quite an exciting change ;)

It's the only reason I played the Atari machines. LOVED their sounds.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
Nuts grates my nerves, bought it and only played it once, that was enough.

No, you're not dreaming :) Over the last 30 years, I've owned several late 70's early 80's Gottlieb tables and you could definitely switch between 2 different styles of sound.

I remember Lost World just blowing my mind as a little kid. All I wanted to do was get to that mall that had it as often as I could. 1 coin/1 play, 2 coins/3 plays. Yeah.

Edit: Lost World would be an awesome addition to TPA. It has historical significance for being the first-of-its-kind for electronic sounds.

Last edited:

Chellspecker

Apr 20, 2013
I'm going out on a limb (get it?) but I kind of like the sound for Goin' Nuts. I just thought it was supposed to be the sound of squirrels eating. Or collecting. Whatever. But I like Genie, so I'm weird. Centaur stresses me out. I like that game a lot, but I think it's designed to make you lose your nerve. The taunting voice, "Only single value?" is enough to make me hurl my device across the room. Only Dr. Dude is more of a bully. It gave me junior high school flashbacks. "DWEEB!"

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
CIA should set up Goin' Nuts in Guantanamo. A 'Space Shuttle' sound effect loop would be pretty effective too.

N

netizen

Centaur stresses me out. I like that game a lot, but I think it's designed to make you lose your nerve. The taunting voice, "Only single value?" is enough to make me hurl my device across the room.

Heh, it is one of the best designed call outs to get players psyched out, Eh. When I hear that "Only Single Value" I usually end up bricking my next shot at the Queen's Chamber and then get pissed enough to just start batting the ball.
This can result in really excellent scores or, most likely, very short games.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Lol, centaurs callout for "only single value?" is because the double shot is a drain monster even if you HIT IT in real life. :) it tends to rebound SDTM.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.