About the outline ball save

Wigoutboy

Sep 5, 2012
Does anyone knows how the outline ball save works? I thought it had something to do with nudging, but when I was playing with a friend, he said that it activated by itself preventing a left outline ball drain.

The instructions of the table don't say nothing about it either :confused:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
On the real table, if the ball hits with the proper speed and angle, no nudging is required. There is nothing to activate, it's just the ball bouncing off a rubber post and through a gate opening in the inlane. I will say that it does not happen near as often for real though that it does in virtual.

Wigoutboy

Sep 5, 2012
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/4664-outlane-posts

Watching real table videos shows that they rely on nudging and/or ball speed. However the TPA version seems to be some random variable.

So it's just a gate on each outlane? I imagined there could be magnets involved or something, kind of like in Black Knight. It looks weird when the ball save happens, like the ball is just pulled to the gate by some mysterious force. It doesn't seem to hit anything either, it just gets pulled into the gate.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
So it's just a gate on each outlane? I imagined there could be magnets involved or something, kind of like in Black Knight. It looks weird when the ball save happens, like the ball is just pulled to the gate by some mysterious force. It doesn't seem to hit anything either, it just gets pulled into the gate.

It's a TPA specific thing, balls getting "sucked through" gates like that.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I find it happens more on the right than on the left. IRL the post seem closer or it just happens more often. Yeah the gate pulling is like that on any table that has them and the ball passes slowly it gets spit out.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Also, if it is stuck, nudge the opposite direction you think. ie. If it's stuck in the right out/inlane, nudge right. Remember, you're not pushing the ball, you're pushing the table.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
On the real table, if the ball hits with the proper speed and angle, no nudging is required. There is nothing to activate, it's just the ball bouncing off a rubber post and through a gate opening in the inlane. I will say that it does not happen near as often for real though that it does in virtual.
it depends on how the operator has these posts adjusted (real table). They can adjusted for easy or hard (liberal or conservative) .

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.