Pro Pinball

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It should only ask for the vertical resolution, are 2560 or 1920 not options? I get those whether i start in portrait or not.
It defaulted to 2160, which I thought was a bit odd. Now I think about it, I have full DSR enabled so my max vertical resolution in portrait is 3840 (on a 1080x1920 display). So presumably it defaulted to the biggest value it could. I'll try picking 1920 and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well that didn't work. Rotated my monitor to portrait, started the game, went to options->graphics and the slider doesn't give me 1920 in the list. All the vertical options look as if they are for landscape.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Sorry, fiddling with this while managing my leftover Thanksgiving guests, but try this:

Go to Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Barnstorm Games/Pro Pinball Ultra/

And find UserDefault.xml

Look for the line that starts with: <graphics_view_resolution_name_high>

Change the line to:

<graphics_view_resolution_name_high>1920_1920</graphics_view_resolution_name_high>

Save, start Pro pinball and start the sim. When I tried that it downloaded the 1080x1920 files automatically.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Hmm. That line was already in that file, along with a bunch of other, similar, lines. I'm going to try tweaking some likely-looking stuff to see what happens.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm about ready to give up... it's as if the game doesn't recognize that I'm in portrait mode. All it wants to do is download 2160, and that's even with DSR turned off and after a reboot.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
I'm not on my computer right now but I believe the highest portrait resolution available is the odd resolution 1900 (not even 1920)... I'm running the game on a 4K screen in portrait mode with a 8GB 1080GTX but 1900 res was the highest available as far as I remember.

Last edited:

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Cabinet mode really isn't what I'm after.

Could it be that Eldar means non stretched portrait mode and the others think of cabinet mode, which is
stretched portrait mode. I think the game only has landscape or cab mode.

The max vertical resolution depends on the chosen camera.

cam 1 = 1900
cam 2 = 2160
cam 3 = 2160
cam 4 = 2560 (also 1920)
cam 5 = 2160

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I'm on Linux and just did a test with cam 4 in cabinet mode. Resolution 1920.
On the cam 4 thumbnail you can see the dmd and backbox but when you select it for cab mode you only get the playfield.
I'd say Eldar should go for cam 4.

[edit]

Just noticed, you can't add another dmd to cam4 in cab mode. You only see an upside down reflection on the playfield glass. :)

[edit2]

No wait, I think cam 4 without cab mode but with table rotation is the best option. :)
Sorry, actually the first time that I play around with portrait mode in propinball.

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Resurrecting this thread as its 50% off in the Steam summer sale.

How does it compare to the newer tables (Williams & otherwise) in FX3?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Resurrecting this thread as its 50% off in the Steam summer sale.

How does it compare to the newer tables (Williams & otherwise) in FX3?

The physics were the best in biz up until just recently, but I’d say Zen has finally taken the cake with their Williams releases. Timeshock is a bit of a masterpiece in its own way, and still plays amazingly after all these years, so I’d definitely recommend picking it up at that price, especially if you’ve never played it before. The DMD animations and such are a bit more subdued compared to a real WMS-designed pin, but there are definitely some gems to stumble accross, and some of the call outs still crack me up after all these years (“What a big one!”).

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Given Barnstorm's inactivity around the pinball scene nowadays, I'd have to agree with Jeff on this. The Williams physics on FX3 are top notch.

Pro Pinball is still great though.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Even after 20 years, Timeshock is still my favorite digital-only table, though I'd agree physics wise Zen has finally caught up to them. Just a shame it seems like the chances of getting updates of the other Pro Pinball tables is practically nil at this point.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
yep agree fellas , shame we might not see the other tables , but Zen has certainly taken the cake . I love it on Zen because I`m getting all my tables in the one place , as I love both forms of pinball . and they have done a great job with the physics , to be honest , better than I ever thought they could do . you could say I`m very happy camper .:cool:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Bought it now, only had a couple of games so far. Looks and plays great. Started by picking the guest option, is there a good reason it asks to set up an account? thought it would just use Steam name for high scores like umpteen other games do.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
High scores are independent of platform and are saved by the account. I think an account is a requirement to post on the leaderboard, but I don't think there's another reason if you don't want to create an account.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.