Why Has the Launch Button Moved to the Top Right of the Screen?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Problem

The launch button on tables such as Star Trek: The Next Generation and Attack From Mars has moved to the top right of the screen, just underneath the Pause Menu.

Background

You now have the option to reposition this button to your liking, in increments of 5%. This setting caters for individual preference of launch button position.

The addition of button positions was not well advertised. Hopefully this post provides users who are surprised by this feature.

WARNING: Launch Button Has Priority Over Everything

The launch button has priority over all flipper touch zones and tilt touch zones. Be very careful where you place it because if it is placed over any of the touch zones, that touch zone will not work properly.

To work around this issue, ensure that "Show Touch Scheme" is turned on while you are configuring the button position so you can position the launch button where it will not interfere with with a flip or tilt touch zone.

You may need to experiment with the different options until you find one that works for you.

Instructions

1. From the main menu, tap a game you own that has a launch button present (AFM, ST:TNG)
  2. Tap Table Menu.
  3. Tap Options.
  4. Use the navigation menu arrows to scroll down all the way to the bottom of the list. You will see:
    • Touch Scheme
    • Show Touch Scheme
    • Button Position
  5. Tap "Show Touch Scheme" to display the touch zones for controls.
    This is really important. See the warning above.
  6. Cycle through the Touch Schemes (A to F) until you find a touch scheme that works for your finger size and general play style.
  7. Tap "Button Position" until the position of the button suits your playing preference, bearing in mind the WARNING above.
  8. Tap Back to the main table menu once you are happy with the settings.

Notes on Touch Tilting

Touch Tilting also has its own set of positions, so if you use touch tilting (rather than accelerometer tilting) you need to take into account button position for both tilt and flip zones.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Mods, please sticky this thread, because I have observed an increase in users not knowing why the button has moved. This thread should help remove duplicate help requests from beta threads.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
WARNING: If you move the launcher DOWN the screen, turn on the touch zones layout, because if the button is inside the flipper/nudge zone, hitting it activates the button and NOT the nudge/flipper! This is an issue if you like it at the bottom right of the screen - sometimes I hit the launch button and the ball drains.

The instructions say to avoid the touch zones, yes, but some people may prefer the button moved lower, so be aware the button has priority over the flipper or nudge.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
WARNING: If you move the launcher DOWN the screen, turn on the touch zones layout, because if the button is inside the flipper/nudge zone, hitting it activates the button and NOT the nudge/flipper! This is an issue if you like it at the bottom right of the screen - sometimes I hit the launch button and the ball drains.

The instructions say to avoid the touch zones, yes, but some people may prefer the button moved lower, so be aware the button has priority over the flipper or nudge.

This note was mentioned in the additional info as a future enhancement. Thanks for calling out the specific behaviour.

N

netizen

The trigger button will also supersede the action of the touch zone it is in if you use touch nudging, so placing it "_just above_ the boundary of the flipper touch zones. " makes for a very dangerously inoperative touch nudging scheme.

The instructions, rather than telling player where to place, should merely instruct that the button can be placed to the players preference. Some people are ridiculously literal and will come back with the I RTFM'd, it is your fault this didn't work, tell me how to do this, this and this.

The most accurate, vague, set of directions showing personal options is best, imo.

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
Methinks this'll help those who bother searching the forums. :p

But
The launch button has priority over all flipper touch zones and tilt touch zones. Be very careful where you place it because if it is placed over any of the touch zones, that touch zone will not work properly. (emphasis added)
is a bit inaccurate/incomplete - if the button is placed in a touch zone (vs. above or below all touch zones), that zone works fine except right at the button's location where the button operation takes precedence.

At least that's what happens on my iPad & iPhone with Touch Scheme D and Button Position at 45%, which places the button about an inch into the right flipper touch zone. I can tap to flip anywhere in that zone (except directly on the button) and it works (the flipper) fine.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for posting this. Personally, I find that our UI covers the necessary bases, but the UX is lacking... considering the confusion that many users have.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Methinks this'll help those who bother searching the forums. :p

But is a bit inaccurate/incomplete - if the button is placed in a touch zone (vs. above or below all touch zones), that zone works fine except right at the button's location where the button operation takes precedence.

At least that's what happens on my iPad & iPhone with Touch Scheme D and Button Position at 45%, which places the button about an inch into the right flipper touch zone. I can tap to flip anywhere in that zone (except directly on the button) and it works (the flipper) fine.

Correct. However, in the heat of the moment, you may try to flip/nudge and hit the button instead. So one has to be very careful on where one puts the button.

I put it near the bottom and sometimes I tap it instead of flipping. Saying it "doesn't work properly" is true because you may be flipping madly during a multiball and not notice your finger moving towards the launch button.

clembo2021

Apr 3, 2013
I like to put it right on the border of the flipper zone and the touch tilt zone. It's easy to hit there and hard to hit by mistake.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
This post proves to me that crowd-sourced docs work really well. Thanks for all the contributions, to ensure the information is as accurate as it can be.

Grrrande

Jul 23, 2012
Hi all,

I can't get the launch button on TCP to work for smart punches, poker night, etc. no matter where I position the launch button. Has anyone else experienced this? Playing on Nexus 10. Thanks!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Hi all,

I can't get the launch button on TCP to work for smart punches, poker night, etc. no matter where I position the launch button. Has anyone else experienced this? Playing on Nexus 10. Thanks!

Yeah they broke it. Try popping up the center plug in HD, and the Magna-save in BK while you're at it.

N

netizen

Yeah they broke it. Try popping up the center plug in HD, and the Magna-save in BK while you're at it.

ok, what was i supposed to see?

The HD Plug goes up, The BK Magna Save goes on :/
Am I missing something here, other than an iDevice.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Repositioning the launchbutton, minding the nudge-zones.

I guess this is information for the movers and the shakers.

Thanks for posting this. I was also unaware.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.