Bug 10,000 (& 1,000?) wheel does not advance

Ace Pumpkin

Aug 25, 2013
Device/OS: iPhone/iOS 6.1.4

Bug Description: 10,000 digit wheel and maybe 1,000 digit wheel, don't advance to the next digit when racking up score by the hundreds. The recorded score reflects the display, not what the score should be had the wheel advanced properly

Steps To Reproduce: have a bonus slow-advance (by hundreds) your score from, say, 38,000 to what should be 41,000; probably other ways of reproducing bug

Frequency: often

Additional Comments: Maybe not that many people play this table? I haven't seen this bug mentioned anywhere. Apologies if someone's alerted Farsight already.

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
Howdy, Ace, and welcome to the forums!

I just tried to replicate your bug, and can't. Nailing drop after drop at 500 points apiece spins the hundreds reel, and the thousands and ten-thousands reels are advancing when they should. The bonus awarded after draining is always a multiple of 1000, and appears to be working fine as well.

?

Ace Pumpkin

Aug 25, 2013
Thanks for the welcome!
Ah, my mistake re: the bonus being a multiple of 1,000! Oops (hasty typing/editing on my part). Well anyway, I can't always make it happen, but it happens often enough to frustrate my efforts at 250k!

I just played some, and noticed that this happens most noticeably when the bonus goes up by 10,000, then runs up quickly by thousands and back to 0 on the 1k wheel. I need to be hitting many scoring targets (ideally the ones scoring at least 100) in succession. Then, the 10k wheel fails to advance. For example, I noticed the 1,000 wheel failing to advance during play after hitting the left drop targets and then the bumper then back to the drop targets (or to the area behind where they were).

Last edited:

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I think I know what you're observing, and it's more of an artistic bug than a mathematical one. If you have, say, 37,000 points and have 5,000 points of bonus to total 42,000, the way Big Shot's scoring reels work in The Pinball Arcade is to advance all reels simultaneously until they come to rest at the desired digit. In the example above, you'd see both the 10,000's digit and 1,000's digit begin advancing at the same time, but since the 10,000's digit only needs to advance by one and the 1,000's digit needs to advance by five (and it needs to advance by three before the digit is supposed to be mathematically carried to the 10,000's place), the 10,000's digit will come to rest before the 1,000's digit has even gotten to the point where the 10,000's digit should move.

Again, I think the math is correct here. But, rather than having the scoring reels independently move until they get to the appropriate new score the way they do now, a score differential should be used to instruct the reels to increment by a certain amount, and to carry digits only when a "9" turns over to a "0" in the next less significant digit's place.

And, yes, this actually kind of bugs me that it's currently done this way. (That, and I wish the font was a bit closer to the actual old blocky numerals used on real scoring reels of the time.)

Does this conform to anyone else's observations?

Last edited:

Members online

Members online