Shooting the cannon advise for accuracy.

Advalle

Jul 18, 2012
Hi, do you guys have any suggestions for accuracy that i can use? Also does the DMD offer aiming advantages, meaning, can I use the DMD to better hit the targesa? I have not found to be reliable, or maybe I havent paid enough attention. Is there also any camera setting you use for nailing the super jackpot? I find it difficult.

Thanks guys!

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
I have about a 90% hit rate, so maybe something here might help:

I use Cam Type: Locked, Cam Angle: 2, Multiball Camera: Off, and Event Camera: Off on my iPad.

When I've got any cannon shot, I always let the cannon move all the way down and then back up (if needed) before firing - I never fire while the cannon's on its way down. I don't look at the DMD at all, just the cannon. When the cannon's at its lowest point, that'll hit the bottom target. The rest? Practice and more practice. I find that the top target is the only one that I ever miss, because I sometimes let the cannon get a bit too high.

Super Jackpots are easy and you shouldn't read this if you want to figure it out on your own...
Simply wait for the target lights to scroll up, down, up, and down again. When the lowest target *just* lights the second time, fire. The only tricky part is making sure the other ball(s) is/are out of the way, preferably by having it/them trapped on the left flipper.

HTH!

Advalle

Jul 18, 2012
I have about a 90% hit rate, so maybe something here might help:

I use Cam Type: Locked, Cam Angle: 2, Multiball Camera: Off, and Event Camera: Off on my iPad.

When I've got any cannon shot, I always let the cannon move all the way down and then back up (if needed) before firing - I never fire while the cannon's on its way down. I don't look at the DMD at all, just the cannon. When the cannon's at its lowest point, that'll hit the bottom target. The rest? Practice and more practice. I find that the top target is the only one that I ever miss, because I sometimes let the cannon get a bit too high.

Super Jackpots are easy and you shouldn't read this if you want to figure it out on your own...
Simply wait for the target lights to scroll up, down, up, and down again. When the lowest target *just* lights the second time, fire. The only tricky part is making sure the other ball(s) is/are out of the way, preferably by having it/them trapped on the left flipper.

HTH!

Yes. All this works. Now I am nailing two targets at a time. And every opportunity at a SJackpot is obtained. Thanks a lot!

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
When I've got any cannon shot, I always let the cannon move all the way down and then back up (if needed) before firing - I never fire while the cannon's on its way down.

I prefer to fire on the way down. I find the speed and movement is more consistent in TPA in this direction.

To my eye, once the cannon goes below its lowest point, there is a jump in movement speed which slows 2/3 of the way back up.
Try with the event cam on so you get a clearer view.

I'm probably 90% accurate travelling down. Probably about 60% travelling up.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
btw, this superjackpot method will NOT work in real life.

The correct one on 95% of real games is to fire when the second from bottom lights, after the cannon starts it's upswing.

I'm horrible with the ST:TNG guns, but i'm good at the cannon without needing to run to the side of the game in real life. I'm amazed the papa players all did that.

Gear323

Aug 27, 2013
btw, this superjackpot method will NOT work in real life.

The correct one on 95% of real games is to fire when the second from bottom lights, after the cannon starts it's upswing.

I'm horrible with the ST:TNG guns, but i'm good at the cannon without needing to run to the side of the game in real life. I'm amazed the papa players all did that.

Yes farsight has it wrong, it should hit on the second light from the bottom.

Btw, I was one of two testers during the creation of the chrome version for visual pinball. You can sure as hell bet it is correct there ;)

haj

Sep 28, 2012
I just draw an imaginary line from the cannon to the light on the first down sweep then fire. The ball is fast so you can wait until just they're on a line. For the first a couple of dozen games I was too fast but then I tried to wait a little more and hitting rate got pretty good.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Cannons are much easier with real pinball because you can just lean over for a birds-eye view. I don't think I've ever missed a flashing drop target in AC/DC.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013

HTH!

Double post, but my last one was ages ago and now it's out on PS3.

Thanks for the Super Jackpot advice - total game changer for me! I would always get flustered at trying to aim and lose my other balls and miss anyway, but now it's 100% :)

Eternal21

Jun 3, 2018

Thanks for this. Still works like a charm 5 years later on PS4.

Striker

May 26, 2017
In real life T2 you listened for the little *dingle* while the gun swung up and down. The *dingle* signaled the gun is lined up on target. BOOM! "DIRECT HIT."

You can still hear it In TPA; however, in my opinion it's not anywhere near as consistent as it was in real life.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.