PS3 - Bug Ball doesn't jump over Jump Rope at 720p

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
When the ball is in the Jump Rope toy in the upper left while playing at 720p, pressing the flipper buttons does not cause the ball to pop up--it just sits there. Also, the "skip" sound plays early, when the rope is still about 70 degrees away from the bottom of its rotation.

Even though the ball does not appear to jump, I think it actually is, because I've been able to get some jumps--you just have to do it blind: if you time it right, the rope comes down and brushes the ball up and over itself, but the ball settles back down into its indentation below the rope immediately, instead of being knocked out of the Jump Rope area and back down to the playfield.

When played at 1080p, the ball animates its jump as you would expect.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Is there still a reason to play TPA at 720p instead of 1080p?
I thought they fixed all of the slowdown issues, and I've never noticed lag @ 1080p.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
When the ball is in the Jump Rope toy in the upper left while playing at 720p, pressing the flipper buttons does not cause the ball to pop up--it just sits there. Also, the "skip" sound plays early, when the rope is still about 70 degrees away from the bottom of its rotation.

Even though the ball does not appear to jump, I think it actually is, because I've been able to get some jumps--you just have to do it blind: if you time it right, the rope comes down and brushes the ball up and over itself, but the ball settles back down into its indentation below the rope immediately, instead of being knocked out of the Jump Rope area and back down to the playfield.

When played at 1080p, the ball animates its jump as you would expect.

I experienced the exact same thing and you're absolutely right about it really jumping but not showing it. I managed to get 6 jumps doing it blind so to speak. Good to know that it works correctly in 1080p, I'll have to play some games like that to get the 30 jumps goal.

I thought they fixed all of the slowdown issues, and I've never noticed lag @ 1080p.

Yes, there is still some lag in 1080p.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Also the game doesn't have that blurry bloom lighting effect at 720p, although that's relatively minor compared to not having the 1-frame flipper lag.

Of course, there are probably still people out there who have to play below 1080p due to their display device; and apparently this problem also occurs at 480p, according to someone on Facebook.

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
Also have the problem. Playing on a standard 4:3 TV also has the DMD blocking the view, haha, so I have to press triangle to get it off.

I figured out the timing, though, so I can get like, 8 jumps or what have you. I'm sure I won't be able to get the 20 jumps, though.

Heinz

Feb 17, 2013
How can you play at 720p or 1080p ? What does that mean ? As I have the same problem: The ball does not jump over the jump rope at all... On the PSVita version it works perfectly.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
How can you play at 720p or 1080p ? What does that mean ? As I have the same problem: The ball does not jump over the jump rope at all... On the PSVita version it works perfectly.

720p and 1080p are names of screen resolutions that the PS3 can potentially run in, if your display device supports them. 720p means a screen of 1280 pixels wide by 720 pixels high; 1080p indicates a screen of 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high. The "p" part stands for "Progressive Scan," which means that the display is drawing every line; this is in counterpoint "Interlaced" modes (720i, 1080i, etc) which older display devices used to simulate a higher resolution they couldn't actually draw by just drawing half the lines at a time.

Since your ball is not jumping over the rope in Champion Pub, and this only occurs at resolutions other than 1080p, then your display device is *not* running in 1080p. If it's widescreen, it's probably running in 1080i or 720p.

How to play in a different resolution:

***Keep in mind this could in theory make it so you can't see your screen anymore so only mess with this if you know what you're doing!***

(In your case, Heinz, this probably won't do much for you, because by default the PS3 runs at the highest resolution--up to 1080p, anyway--that your screen supports. So you will most likely find that 1080p is not an option it will list for you.)

In the PS3 XMB (ie the Cross Media Bar, the "desktop" of the PS3, if you will), you go to "Display Settings," and in the setup, choose "Custom." Then you can uncheck the resolutions you don't want to run. Pinball Arcade will try to run in 1080p (that is a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels) if your display device is capable of it, but if you disable that as an available resolution in the Display Settings setup, the game will have to make do with one of the lower resolutions.

For instance, my 1080p projector can also run in 1080i, 720p, and 480p--these aren't its native resolution, so they look blurry, in addition to being chunkier of course since they use larger, fewer pixels. But if I want to run Pinball Arcade in 720p, say, then before starting up the game, I go into the custom display setup in the PS3's XMB, and uncheck 1080p and 1080i. That leaves 720p and 480p. I complete the setup, the PS3 display switches to 720p, then I run the game, and it runs at 720p, because the display options I selected for the PS3 are telling the game that the 1080 resolutions are not available to it. After I quit the game, I go back into the Display Options setup and run the Automatic configuration to re-enable 1080p so I can do other things on the PS3 in my screen's proper resolution.

(^It's kind of a pain; I only play TPA at lower resolutions because the flippers are slightly more responsive that way.)

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
I play at 720p and the ball doesn't jump for me either. Really annoying bug.

I get considerable flipper lag at 1080p... don't know if it's my TV or what but it's unplayable for me at 1080p.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The ball still doesn't jump on 720p.

Whatever, I play in 1080i resolution, the ball jumps but with some lag, and after something like 10 jumps, it doesn't jump anymore or it becomes totally random and so laggy. After a lot of attempts, I managed to jump 20 times for the standard goal (I just pushed the button randomly).

The "30 jumps in a row" seems totally out of reach, as this table feature is totally unplayable.

Too bad, it's my last wizard goal to unlock (regarding PS3 trophies), with the buggy Ultimate Challenge (it stops with no reason). :(

EDIT: well, finally did it... thanks to a bug. It gave me the 30 consecutive jumps... after 3 jumps! Goal 3 complete. Err... I take it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I've been stuck on this goal for a while, and I'm not changing my resolution because Farsight screwed up.

They need to fix this.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Champion Pub is a table of the current monthly tournament.

And guess what? The Jump Rope is still broken in 720p, as the ball doesn't jump at all, even if you smash madly all the buttons of the gamepad. :rolleyes:

(yeah, I came back to 720p, because the flippers are definitely more responsive than in 1080i/p).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.