Tips & tricks

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Hi guys,
I figure I'll try my hand at a tips and tricks posting. I have played Tee'd Off semicontinously after release and I'm quite "hooked" :rolleyes:

There are four main important things to master:
- plunging the ball should yield an automatic hole in one. This is not only a nice bonus at the start of the game with progressing the shots toward multiballs and getting the mystery bonus, but it's the only way to getting three balls in the regular multiball
- completing S-K-I-N-S-! at the right time (declining playing the game when the letters are completed yields 10M and keeps the first four letters). This doubles your total score, and changes the game in a high stakes poker game. I have blown 2 separate chances to double a 4B score, recovering one.....The SKINS game is risky, especially when it chooses one of the more difficult shots like the HOOK or SLICE targets, and especially the colored targets (you have to shoot them all). I can't stop myself trying for them too, but it could be a better strategy to wait out the clock and just recover your score. It's yet unclear if the mode is a bit bugged because continous shots towards the Volcano hole don't register a letter. So the only way to get them is controlling the ball at the right flipper for a moment and then shooting for the Vulcano. In this way you can get max 4 letters, maybe 5 if you time it exactly right. So you have to play the mode twice or hope that the mystery bonus yields the last letter or completes SKINS in one go. I believe modes relight only after you have completed Anything Goes so that's a lot of work. Draining the ball may also reset them. Because SKINS and GOPHER letters carry over from game to game, it can be rewarding to complete games even when it's a sucky one, it may well be that your next game profits from it.
- Controlling the Lightning Storm, Anything Goes and GOPHER multiballs. I start with the three balls and try to control the situation as soon as there are two left. Ideally I trap one at the right flipper and shoot for the middle Gopher hole. This feeds the ball right back to the left flipper. You can trap it easily by keeping the flipper upright, or train yourself in shooting a rolling ball. I have scored around 1B bonus with this strategy. It also works nicely for Tee'd Off. For regular multiball I like having the chaos going with three balls, because this often gives functional ricochets towards the difficult HOOK and SLICE targets. I stink at controlled aiming for the Super Jackpot, then I often lose all the balls
- The fourth and last strategy is actually the core of the game and that is to develop a flow for completing holes. This is why I like the game, you have to master all the shots to keep it progressing. Even specializing in aiming for the right loop does not work because it stops giving Hole-In-One after a while I often start at shooting the Gopher hole from the right flipper to feed the left for a controlled shot. Depending on the lit Hole shot I make a tip shot to the Bottom-Up Kicker or go for the right ramp. When the Vulcano is lit, I try to hit that via the right loop shot, this can give a Hole in One or at least feed the left upper flipper for an easy ricochet shot towards the Vulcano. This shot returns towards the right flipper and can be controlled for a Gopher shot, starting the process again. When the ball is kicked out from the Bottom-Up-Kicker, you can try to trap it again at the left flipper, but beware there is some randomness involved. It is safer to deadpass it back to the right flipper, directly setting up the gopher hole shot. Rinse and repeat....

Some other thoughts and things
- Hitting the SLICE target in the extra ball round (or SKINS shot) is difficult from a controlled stationary or medium rolling speed (for example a returning ball from the gopher hole). Anyway, I suck at that shot. I often do hit it when it's a high speed ball. This happens when you let it return from the Hole in One area and not flip the left upper flipper. It then gathers momentum, passes the Special tunnel and feeds the left flipper. Beware, it then can drain quite easily but for some reason is also perfectly aligned for a tip shot to the SLICE target for extra ball. If you happen to select the Special instead of Lightning Storm, this is also a good way to score the special.
- Incomplete right ramp and Gopher hole shots are a risk for a middle drain, I always right nudge those, even when they seem to be safe.
- Shooting the Hole in One area from the left upper flipper is not very easy and can lead to a drain at the left outlane if not completed. I'm still debating if the rewards are worth it, because it can give a lot of Mystery bonuses and Hole-in-Ones.

Well, those are my 2 cents! Now back to playing.
PS: alternating between this game and No Good Gophers can be hazardous to your mental health, I recommend killing the audio when trying that. At a more serious note: it's also a good way to see how TPA improved it's tables over time. The physics are way more floaty on NGG and the table is more cluttered and less easy to follow the ball

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
some from me:

Hole in One: always get 6 holes in one for the EB, and then 8 for the free lightning multiball (why would anyone choose special here for 50M? except by accident of course, as it gives you no time at all, so keep your finger off the right side of the screen!). after 8, i can see no benefit in bothering, especially as the hole-in-one champ doesn't seem to save anywhere, and resets itself. remember that you can score holes in one during any Round, so for some (like SKINS if you have a really low score, and most of the letters already collected) consider ignoring the round and going for hole in 1 if you only have less than 6 of them. Mystery, from the same hole, is another matter - this is chock full of delights, like EBs, doubling bonus, complete SKINS etc etc etc

SKINS! - why is this called skins? is a skin a reference to something in golf that i don't know? anyway. i agree that if you get the job of hitting all three targets, it's so hard that the best policy is to wait with the ball on the left flipper, and hit the right orbit after it times out, to get your points back.

increase bonus/jackpot target: this is fantastic, hit it as much as you can. if you get the fab Pitch and Putt round, whack this target a couple of times at the start, which will get your bonus up to 60-80M or so, then get up to the top flipper and every single shot will net you this tasty bonus as well as a hole in one, and only takes a couple of seconds off your timer - you should be able to hit at least 5 or 6 of these every time. you can milk Pitch and Putt for 500M if you time it right, probably even more if you had a high bonus before the round started. during any multiball, whacking this target ups the jackpot from its measly 5M beginnings to lofty numbers: suddenly the superjackpot is less vital, when you can get 60M for each normal jackpot shot.

EB at slice target: it's a bugger isn't it. i can sometimes get it with the end of the left flipper, and sometimes by bouncing off the central standups, but as often as not, i flail and miss out on collecting it. tips gratefully received.

my recent strategy is to never restart a game, just keep the SKINS and GOPHER letters topped up as much as poss between games, and hope for a game soon where i will get to use SKINS at a big score, *and* get the hurry up EB from mystery, *and* the EB from mystery, *and* the full free SKINS from the mystery, *and* doubling my bonus when i got it up really high *before* then milking Pitch 'n Putt

one day i'll get a good score. loving this table though

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Okay Teed Off is officially broken on pc. :)

Nudge hard left. wait for the tilt to settle. nudge hard up. watch ball bounce around in jet bumpers. repeat while ball is at plunger. you can usually get it over 100 million before the game decides you' waited long enough and starts bonus. so plunge before then.

SO now you got 100 million in eob bonus. catch the ball on the right flipper. backhand captive ball. catch it again. repeat for a while. Bonus from captive ball hits maxes out at 255 million. now you wanna play pitch and put. :) but try and clear the drop targets blocking the center VUK first.

Whack the ball up the middle to pass it to the left flipper, then shoot the ramp or the dogleg to get the ball to the green. if you are lucky you will get a hole in one off the dogleg, and 255 million. When the ball is stopped by the post, you get another 255 million. whack the ball up the ramp and into the hole. you get another 255 million. it then gets stopped by the post for ANOTHER 255 million. every two shots up that mini ramp from the post you get another billion points. with a good round of pitch and put and a maxed EOB bonus, you can score nearly ten billion.

Now try and go through the other rounds. next ball, do it all again if you haven't rolled the game yet. :)

And yes, people have done this stunt in real life. it requires a second person to nudge the upper playfield half sideways..

Last edited:

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Sadly I can't nudge from the plunger on iPad unless I'm missing something - not with touch, swipe or even shake options.

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
Tried this on the ps3, rarely got the ball in the bumpers and most of the time all I got was a tilt warning.

On Android I find backhanding the captured ball to be easier than on ps3 and getting the bonus up faster and safe in no time.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
slam the analog stick directly to the left. the ball will go flying that way and you will get 0 warnings. while the ball is rolling back, slam the stick upwards. if yod get a tilt warning you slammed the stick upwards too soon. it does take practice, but you will be able to get it past 100.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
I discovered something good, again involving that captive ball: even though the bonus maxes out at 255M, the jackpot doesn't.

So if you spent ages trying to get that bonus up to milk Pitch n Putt and then just as it gets high up either you drain it, or you start PnP and only manage to get in the hole once or twice, try this:

Start multiball with either 2 or 3 balls. Trap one on the left, and one on the right. Hammer that captive ball by back handing right flipper. See how high you can get it. Now score jackpots all over the table, then 300M 'super-jackpot' to reset them all again will actually be lower than the normal jackpots. I'm sure a good player could easily get that jackpot up to a billion (I had it up to 357 I think then had a rush of blood to the head and it all went tits up) and so that player by going round to SJ twice would net a tasty 12B just from that one multiball. Now assume that jackpot can go up to silly numbers, like 5B? If so then a multiball to one SJ would let you trouser a not to be sniffed at 30B in about 2 or 3 minutes.

All the 'rounds' reset after you start them all, so I suppose if you concentrate on getting them all started at least once per game, you will have more than one go at the lucrative rounds ie extra ball, PnP, and double-your-score (or lose the lot).

Sweet. I'm gonna have another go at trying to Jack that jackpot up high, but I'd love to know what you good guys (zaphod and erik for example) can do with this 'new' exploit. You were probably doing this all along anyway.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I've tried that, but I rarely manage to get the jackpot over 200M before missing the captive ball and losing control and draining. Yes it's possible to whack it infinitely, but the execution is harder than you think. Regaining control after a miss is a lot easier in single ball play than with one of the flppers tied up trapping.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
i knew about that one. it maxes out at 3 times that. :)

and yeah it's harder then you'd think, but it's how people rolled the game in real life.

My most success has been with lightning storm though, and that's the easiest way to get points in real life too, there's a trick to getting the ball to stick in the center shot. when trapping the ball, don't wait for it to settle completely. as soon as the ball almost finishes rolling back, drop the flipper, ad line up your shot. it will stick every time without bouncing out.

If you totally trap the ball, or try to shoot it on the fly it often bounces back out. but doing it my way it nearly always goes in easily.

Last edited:

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
... rollover detection is between 8B[1] and 11.98B[2].

This may apply to other tables with high scoring sources.

Hey, here's something to try on rollover logic if you're so inclined. On Teed Off, if you have 8-9 billion, and play and LOSE the double-or-nothing... will TPA interpret the billions digit going from 8 to 0 as a rollover? And then you could even shoot the restore-your-score shot to get back to where you were!

Confirmed

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Hah. Awesome. Thanks for the work!

(But man, why were you trying to shoot the right orbit off a post pass without catching?)

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
I usually shoot the right ramp from a post pass, it lines up directly with playfield artwork, but it's likely I was 'oh right I wanted to score some points just in case before I do recover'.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.