The Pinball Arcade table ratings

Creepykev

May 30, 2013
I loved Ripley's from the start. I live about 40 minutes from Gatlinburg TN where they have one of the Ripley's museums so I grew up on the stuff.

Creepykev

May 30, 2013
I like Creature, but rarely play it because of the instant drain if you try for the middle. I love Whitewater, but I had to read the rule set to get into it.

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
I gave Gorgar my lone 10. It's my favorite table that is currently in TPA. I like all of the tables currently in the top ten, but White Water has never quite grabbed me.

Apparently, I also like Centaur and Big Shot a bit more than most voters.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I gave Gorgar my lone 10. It's my favorite table that is currently in TPA.

Really interesting! I used to be into Gorgar quite a bit, but then I found out the way to score was just to light the lower hole for 20K and shoot it over and over and over and over. I ground that out once and now I just can't seem to get excited about it.

Oh, I just thought of an interesting comparison: Attack From Mars is a lot of fun up through the end of the story with all the voices and exploding ships and various multiballs, but then once you get through and blow up Mars or whatever and the game has no more new sounds and animations to show you, you suddenly realize none of the remaining shots (the high risk force field or whatever shot no longer being available) are at all interesting I'm their own right; EM designers, on the other hand, had to make their shots fun as shots themselves because they didn't have the option of dressing bland shots up with modes and animations.

Last edited:

Mechanix77

Banned
Aug 31, 2013
I gave Gorgar my lone 10. It's my favorite table that is currently in TPA. I like all of the tables currently in the top ten, but White Water has never quite grabbed me.

Apparently, I also like Centaur and Big Shot a bit more than most voters.

I rated both "Gorgar" and "Centaur" a 1. I think BS got a 4.

I gave "TOM" and "AFM" a 10, each.

Mechanix77

Banned
Aug 31, 2013
Carny themes often annoy me (I feel this way about CV, for instance), but for some reason Funhouse's doesn't. What do you find annoying about the gameplay? The whole dorky talking doll head thing? Hm as I say this it occurs to me that on the basis of those things I shouldn't like Funhouse either, but I don't know, it just works so well when playing somehow. Got some unusual shots, too..

The most annoying thing is the objective of the game, but the annoying looking doll with that stupid voice just finishes it off for me. I think I almost dislike the table as much as "Gorgar"... Almost. lol

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Voted! I'm just worried that people are voting based on how much they like the real table or theme, and not on how well TPA pulls off the translation of the virtual table. Because Medieval Madness being number 1, and it has had a flipper gap problem that is way off from the original and problems with using troll bombs, among others. .

I really don't understand what you meant by that though!
I don't get it either. CV is a great table. The objective is to score points, there are multiple ways to do that. Also he has something personal against Gorgar.

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
Voted! I'm just worried that people are voting based on how much they like the real table or theme, and not on how well TPA pulls off the translation of the virtual table. Because Medieval Madness being number 1, and it has had a flipper gap problem that is way off from the original and problems with using troll bombs, among others. .
I did what SYT did - ranked every table from top to bottom and then fudged the 10-point system into that. Thus my 10's are Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, and Centaur - my 1's are Harley Davidson, Pin*Bot, Goin' Nuts, and Dr. Dude.

I ranked them based on how much I like playing them in TPA. I didn't rank them due to great artwork, accuracy compared to real life, theme, or any of that. Just "How fun is this table?"

P.S. - Only one of MM's bugs bugs me, and that's the troll bomb issue - but that just makes for a harder BFTK, and I like it more difficult. :)

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I can only imagine that people who automatically write off EMs or single-ball tables just haven't really played any of the (many) great ones. Multiball's fun and all but it isn't everything I want to do in a pinball game. That *did* backfire on Goin' Nuts, come to think of it.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I don't get it either. CV is a great table. The objective is to score points, there are multiple ways to do that.

We were talking about Funhouse there, I think. Although since you mention it I'm not huge on CV--the theme, that annoying announcer lady, shooting the darn head so much, that darn ball getting in the way of my shots...plus the PS3 version at least is floaty and poorly lit; it *is* better now that you can prevent the camera from zooming in on the Ringmaster every time, though.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
...my 1's are Harley Davidson, Pin*Bot, Goin' Nuts, and Dr. Dude...

P.S. - Only one of MM's bugs bugs me, and that's the troll bomb issue - but that just makes for a harder BFTK, and I like it more difficult. :)

I used to dislike Pin*Bot, but its been growing on me lately; I think I'm finally starting to get a handle on it, and I actually like the layout now and how unique it is.

What's the Troll Bomb issue, anyway? I always just forget to use them.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I did what SYT did - ranked every table from top to bottom and then fudged the 10-point system into that. Thus my 10's are Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, and Centaur - my 1's are Harley Davidson, Pin*Bot, Goin' Nuts, and Dr. Dude.

I ranked them based on how much I like playing them in TPA. I didn't rank them due to great artwork, accuracy compared to real life, theme, or any of that. Just "How fun is this table?"

Ok that's kinda what I figured people were doing, voting on how much they liked the table in general. I think it might help to make it clear on what we are actually voting on, because I voted on how accurate and well done the recreation was, not how much I personally like the table or theme.

The troll bomb issue is that they are used when you nudge, making it extremely difficult to finish the final wizard mode when the trolls pop up in your way.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Ok that's kinda what I figured people were doing, voting on how much they liked the table in general. I think it might help to make it clear on what we are actually voting on, because I voted on how accurate and well done the recreation was, not how much I personally like the table or theme.

I didn't specify what the vote was on beyond the title, ie "The Pinball Arcade table ratings," because a) a lot of people wouldn't read specifications anyway and it would just cause arguments and doubts, and b) what matters to people will vary by person.

The troll bomb issue is that they are used when you nudge, making it extremely difficult to finish the final wizard mode when the trolls pop up in your way.

Oh! Man.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I didn't specify what the vote was on beyond the title, ie "The Pinball Arcade table ratings," because a) a lot of people wouldn't read specifications anyway and it would just cause arguments and doubts, and b) what matters to people will vary by person.
hey that's cool, I'm probably one of the odd ones anyway because I happen to like all the tables (except goin nuts), both in reality and TPA. I also love Dr Dude and Jive Time, so that should tell you something.

Members online

Members online