Minimum Spec

N

netizen

I can run some of the tables at 60FPS but I don't think that is what you mean by "has run " pinball arcade.

just for laughters sake:

System Model: Aspire 5742Z
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.22
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7862MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Pentium)
DAC type: Internal
Display Memory: 1760 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)
Intel Q9300 (2.5 Ghz) Processor
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce 9800GT video card (latest drivers) and DirectX 11
Ram: 8GB
Display Mode: Full Screen
Display Resolution: 1680x1050

Runs rock solid at 60 fps

Timelord ...

Last edited:

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
Dusted off my wife's computer to test this for you.

CPU: Intel 2140 (aka Core Duo) 1.6GHz
Ram: 2GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (256MB)
Resolution: 1680x1050
Video Mode: Full Screen
Post Processing: On
Anti-Aliasing: 2x

Surprisingly, this maintained 60fps EASILY. No hiccups, no problems. (Which is way more than I can say for my Note 2...)

-LeRoy3rd

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks. I need to set what the minimum spec was. I was thinking dual core 1.6ghz as low end CPU, and 1GB of ram. Looks like I might be close on that.

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
Ok... Ran out of ram before windows even finished loading. Took over 5 min for TPA to load. Once loaded and windows stopped shuffling around the cached files, it ran fine. The loading times are obviously huge, the page file is 2.5GB! Since integrated graphics shares the ram, I honestly have doubts that windows would load (let alone tpa) without the graphics card.

Verdict: 1GB ram works, but it's definitely not optimal. Not sure it would work with integrated graphics...

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Hrm, odd, I can't get it to run smoothly at all, and I've got a half-decent system.

Core2Duo 2.6GHz
4GB RAM
Windows Vista
nVidia dual 8800GTX SLI (512MB x2)
1920x1200 full screen

Default settings on graphics. Runs barely 40fps.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Hrm, odd, I can't get it to run smoothly at all, and I've got a half-decent system.

Core2Duo 2.6GHz
4GB RAM
Windows Vista
1920x1200 full screen

Do you have post processing on or off? What about Anti Aliasing?

Any processes running in the background hogging resources?

KingNeptune

Feb 8, 2013

Core2Duo 2.6GHz
4GB RAM
Windows Vista
1920x1200 full screen

I concur...
Post processing bring a solid 60fps smooth-as-silk gameplay to 40ish fps and choppy play
Interestingly, in "Attract" mode while you're flying over the table before you press start to play, Post Processing doesn't seem to hit - still smooth motion and I still get almost 60fps.
Hit start and instantly drop to 40ish fps and choppy play
I have:
Quad Core i5 3.3ghz
16GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (On-CPU)
1920x1200 Full Screen

Same PC using a nVidia GTX580 GPU holds 60 FPS with or without Post Processing

I have other PC's with significantly lower specs using the Intel Graphics line - all take a huge hit with post processing turned on, and also experience a distinct FPS drop between attract and play mode (when ball is on the table)

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I concur...
Post processing bring a solid 60fps smooth-as-silk gameplay to 40ish fps and choppy play
Interestingly, in "Attract" mode while you're flying over the table before you press start to play, Post Processing doesn't seem to hit - still smooth motion and I still get almost 60fps.
Hit start and instantly drop to 40ish fps and choppy play
I have:
Quad Core i5 3.3ghz
16GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (On-CPU)
1920x1200 Full Screen

Same PC using a nVidia GTX580 GPU holds 60 FPS with or without Post Processing

I have other PC's with significantly lower specs using the Intel Graphics line - all take a huge hit with post processing turned on, and also experience a distinct FPS drop between attract and play mode (when ball is on the table)

During flyby there is no ball rendering. So that's probably where the drop comes from. Ball requires 6 scene renders per frame (for the environment map) then rendering it with specular, normal and envmap all add to the hit in performance.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Do you have post processing on or off? What about Anti Aliasing?

Any processes running in the background hogging resources?

I'll give that a try.

Nothing hogging in the background - the CPU display I have for it shows when it's running that ti's running arouen 50-70% on each core.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
During flyby there is no ball rendering. So that's probably where the drop comes from. Ball requires 6 scene renders per frame (for the environment map) then rendering it with specular, normal and envmap all add to the hit in performance.

Mike, there is something very odd going on with ball rendering performance. There is a massive drop in fps on the ball reflection in Flight 2000 (geometry wise, a very low hit table). But on more demanding tables, such as TOTAN or MB, ball reflection mapping is perfectly smooth, even during multiball. I posted about this here.

This is happening while the fps counter is showing a solid 60fps, and gameplay is perfectly smooth.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Mike, there is something very odd going on with ball rendering performance. There is a massive drop in fps on the ball reflection in Flight 2000 (geometry wise, a very low hit table). But on more demanding tables, such as TOTAN or MB, ball reflection mapping is perfectly smooth, even during multiball. I posted about this here.

This is happening while the fps counter is showing a solid 60fps, and gameplay is perfectly smooth.

I commented on it in that thread.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Alright, I retried the settings, 1920x1200 full screen, 2x AA, ball reflections high, post processing off and it's a smooth 60fps all the way. I'm guessing it might have been an older build or other performance problem.

I probably can crank up the settings as it seems there's still a bit of headroom left.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
On the CPU side I was running on Intel i5-750 2,66ghz quad core with 8gb ram, but the Graphics card was on the low end:
Nvidia G210 1gb. It handled non Post Processing without a hitch, but with PP = on it was unplayable ~30fps.

Edit: I can try perhaps tomorrow to run it on an old HP DC7600 desktop, it has a single core Pentium 4 processor and integrated Intel HD Graphics with Windows XP :)

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Mike,
I tested it with the lowest spec I have still running.

Win 8.1 32 bit
CPU Duo Core E4600 @ 2.4 Ghz
4 GB RAM
NVidia NVS 290

I was able to run @ 60fps but had to shut off Ball reflections, AA and PP

As a side note the NVidia was outputting a warning to the overlay that stated that the application was not rated for the NVS 290
I had to press <CTL> + <ALT> + <Insert> to toggle off the message.

Hope this helps !

Timelord ...

Last edited:

Members online

Members online