[Question] Will this be F2P on Steam?

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013
Given that Valve has dictated to FS that table pack purchases for TPA must use the ingame purchasing interface rather than going through the Steam store as regular DLCs, I have to ask if TPA is going to be F2P on Steam with TOTAN as the free table.

The reason I'm asking is because the approach Valve told you to use is normally used for F2P games.

If the game isn't going to be F2P, why won't Valve let you publish the table packs in the Steam store as normal DLC? I've seen quite a few titles on Steam that have a buttload of DLCs listed on the Steam store.

If this is going to be F2P, I suggest that the season packs be made available in the Steam store as normal DLCs. A few F2P games already have packs of ingame content available as Steam store DLCs (Tribes Ascend, DCS World and Rift spring to mind immediately).

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks for the quick response. Could you look into putting the season packs up as regular DLC on the Steam store (individual table packs can still use ingame purchases)?

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

N

netizen

Yeah, didn't Mike say that TOTAN would be included for free with the core program, and all the tables would be available to demo right up to, but not including, pack #19?

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
The official announcement says 1-18 now with demo mode.

Part of the structure was directly dictated by valve also if memory serves me.

Last edited:

Gozer

Jun 10, 2013
Wasn't there an insane amount of outrage when Pinball FX had the free to play label on release for Steam?

They ended up changing the description/genre because of this.

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013
Wasn't there an insane amount of outrage when Pinball FX had the free to play label on release for Steam?

In addition, a free table was also added to the game (Sorcerer's Lair).

Roo

Jul 5, 2013

You are correct, though they did not have a free table at the time (they added one a few weeks later). They removed the F2P tag within a few hours of release.

I think having a free table will help, but I'm guessing there will still be people that complain if it's marked as F2P. In some people's minds, that means you have access to the "whole game" and only pay for equipment upgrades or cosmetic items. Pinball is a totally different animal, but it seems many people don't get that.

If it's in the F2P category I guarantee you get a bunch of whiners says that it's misleading and "only one" table is free.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
You are correct, though they did not have a free table at the time (they added one a few weeks later). They removed the F2P tag within a few hours of release.

I think having a free table will help, but I'm guessing there will still be people that complain if it's marked as F2P. In some people's minds, that means you have access to the "whole game" and only pay for equipment upgrades or cosmetic items. Pinball is a totally different animal, but it seems many people don't get that.

If it's in the F2P category I guarantee you get a bunch of whiners says that it's misleading and "only one" table is free.

The people who complain that a free to play game only has one free table should probably get their money back.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
The people who complain that a free to play game only has one free table should probably get their money back.

Well I don't agree with people who complain about stuff like that. But if you go into a game's forum on Steam and it's full of negative threads saying "don't bother", "bait and switch", etc, some people won't even download it to give it a chance, which would be a shame.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Well I don't agree with people who complain about stuff like that. But if you go into a game's forum on Steam and it's full of negative threads saying "don't bother", "bait and switch", etc, some people won't even download it to give it a chance, which would be a shame.

Roo is right. Do your homework.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012

A counterpoint is that I've gotten more gameplay out of TotAN than some AAA $60 titles. Some people will complain no matter what. Can't do much about that.

Not that I'm necessarily saying TPA should in the F2P section. The thing though is that the possible people complaining about only one free table is offset by the amount of people that give free games a try from browsing that section and possibly transform into buying customers. I'm not sure there's any real way of telling, but I think the buyers gained through that probably offsets any possible vocal minority on the forums (Disclaimer: I am not an economist).

Last edited:

ZenTron

Jul 21, 2013
From the FAQ below TPA would be considered F2P as you can download for free and play a table for free. FX2 didn't have a table for free, its apples and oranges comparison.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8795-TIDH-0077

As for the original post by PALADiN it answers itself "Valve has dictated." My opinion is that FS is new to Steam and might not be taking advantage of the marketing / sales strategies with this roll-out. It could of been advantageous for them to have a company with more experience hold there hand a bit more. I just don't want to see this Steam release not be successful or not live up to its full potential.

Last edited:

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013
That being said, I still feel that the season packs should be on the Steam store page.

I think Valve do let companies put bundles of ingame content (which is essentially what the individual table packs are) on the store as regular DLC (as evident by the number of "starter pack" style listings for various F2P MP games).

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013

That's pretty much how many of the TPA reviews on Google Play from Latin America are. People saying that's it's a "scam", that "you gotta buy everything else" and "you don't get anything for free", and that they should add more free tables or do some sort of unlocking system. Because everybody loves those!

And then they end up getting garbage like Pinball Pro, just because it's free. That's how we are, people. Seriously, the most popular free games section on our territory is pretty much the most depressing thing ever: Flash-level crap, ripoff titles of popular games (believe me, there's pretty much 10 Candy Crush Saga, Minecraft and/or Angry Birds ripoffs every 20 spots or so), completely unlicensed emulations of classic console and arcade games, and unlicensed titles based on licensed material.

That's pretty much why I'd prefer sticking to actual handheld systems.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.