The Victory prototype

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Not sure how many people know about this, but Victory was almost made with a BH/HH style lower playfield. According to John Trudeau, it was too expensive to produce. Do you think this would have improved the game? Pictures below:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Hmm, interesting. I'm a sucker for things that are kind of 'out of the norm' on tables, so I think it would have been a nice addition. I assume at least one of the race checkpoints would be down there too which would add to the challenge.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Doesn't really do anything for me. You can't just keep putting the same lower playfield in a game and expect people to think it is something new. Unless of coarse it was supposed to be a pit stop!

haj

Sep 28, 2012
That's very interesting and cool although I don't think it would make the game more fun - for the theme of the table.

DJWhoDunnit

Dec 23, 2012
Unless of coarse it was supposed to be a pit stop!

Would have been sooooooo awesome to have had to complete some goal here to start the next race, multiply checkpoint values, restart value countdowns, or for a real twist only use a second ball simultaneously with the main playfield ball to serve one of the above functions...would at any rate have reduced the monotony of the table.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Would have been sooooooo awesome to have had to complete some goal here to start the next race, multiply checkpoint values, restart value countdowns, or for a real twist only use a second ball simultaneously with the main playfield ball to serve one of the above functions...would at any rate have reduced the monotony of the table.

Youre right I really like the idea of checkpoints and how it the gameplay develops but it really feels like there is something missing. This explains it. The ball lock seems pointless as it is now. Ball is just locked until you drain AND you get awarded extra ball. That's two extra balls as a reward for five easy shots. The game becomes marathon and as fun as the checkpoints are I don't think I'll be playing the table much as a game is neverending.

One thing that I really miss on the table that would be really cool is lap times. The time it takes to reach all checkpoints and cross the finish line. That's what racings about! It would be so awesome to have the voice calling out lap times and the display showing them. The time between checkpoints would also be cool. There could be a fastest lap highscore. I had a lap where i hit almost all checkpoints as fast as possible, but I'm sure it could have been even faster!
Would be cool if a new racing pinball would be made, like a modern victory with all these features. Formula 1 is pretty popular and filled with money to say the least, could be a real hit.

Members online

Members online