TPA on ipad air

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I picked up an ipad air at argos this morning and thought I'd share some thoughts on my limited time with it so far.

The first thing that sticks out is all the menus are iphone sized in the top left of the screen, no biggie :)

It plays smooth as silk (which is to be expected).

The DMD display is very small, but alpha-numeric displays are properly sized.

The only downer I can find is on Victory. I upgraded from an ipad2 and on the retina display Victory looks almost identical to the ipad2. Every other table looks leaps and bounds ahead of what I've been used to with non-retina.

If you are in the UK i recommend argos, as I got a free £10 gift voucher with purchases over £100 which I put to use on a £15 itunes card, so not bad value really.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
Just made the same statement about the small menus.
Also need to mention the table selection screen does not look highres to me. The table icons on the left are not that sharp.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Yeah also confirming the menu/ui size problem. I was going to try the post processing option to see if it's finally playable but I can't find the option, has it been removed?

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I notice the menu looking low-res of the PS3, but to be honest as long as the tables look ok the menu doesn't bother me.

I may be behind the times here, but going to a retina display from no retina really shows the detail. I'm impressed!!!

Last edited:

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
If you are in the UK i recommend argos, as I got a free £10 gift voucher with purchases over £100 which I put to use on a £15 itunes card, so not bad value really.

i recommend PC World instead, as i just got home with mine, and they gave me a £50 voucher.
i tried Argos online this morning and they had sold out already, so i pre-ordered at PC world, and i'm glad i did as they sold out completely, they only had one left in the whole shop, my one. i didn't even have to pay when i pre-ordered either

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
I was going to try the post processing option to see if it's finally playable but I can't find the option, has it been removed?
Yes, it was removed a few versions back. I believe it was of no real use (because of the massive performance hit) and users would inadvertently turn it on which made for dismal performance, which would in turn cause some tech support headaches (which I remember seeing quite often in these forums).

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
i recommend PC World instead, as i just got home with mine, and they gave me a £50 voucher.
i tried Argos online this morning and they had sold out already, so i pre-ordered at PC world, and i'm glad i did as they sold out completely, they only had one left in the whole shop, my one. i didn't even have to pay when i pre-ordered either

I did the "ring & reserve" with Argos and got the last one in the shop without any payment, but £50 sounds better than £10 to me :) I was just glad to get one. 8:30 is a hard time to get up for a barman!!!

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Here's a pic of the messed up menu

042c1aa5b968b692705afa4c9466e701_zps7a14a41e.jpg

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
The fix for the UI on iPad Air will most likely release with Table Pack 20. We already have a bug fix patch in submission and waiting for review that was submitted earlier this week. Sorry for the inconvenience!

So how's the iPad Air? The look awesome.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
So what's everyone's first impression of it? Moving from a 3 to a 5 the speed improvement particularly when loading games is really noticeable. Xcom loads almost instantly, was taking about 20 seconds on my iPad 3. Build wise I don't think it's as good, shaving every last bit of aluminium away and shrinking everything to get the weight down has left it feeling a little hollow to me, the premium feel while still there is diminished a bit. Clicking the home button doesn't feel/sound as solid as before, even tapping the screen sounds slightly hollow compared to the old model which was like tapping a thick piece of glass. I may sound negative but these little niggles are well worth it to keep the size/weight down, I certainly wouldn't want them to make it any lighter though, then it would feel like a cheap android tablet.

It will be interesting to see where they go from here, by all accounts it was very easy to pick one up compared to previous models, probably a mixture of reaching saturation point plus the retina mini due out shortly.

Guitarpik

Nov 3, 2012
The fix for the UI on iPad Air will most likely release with Table Pack 20. We already have a bug fix patch in submission and waiting for review that was submitted earlier this week. Sorry for the inconvenience!

So how's the iPad Air? The look awesome.

Coming from an iPad 1 it's pretty awesome. I was kinda disappointed with the specs when they were announced but that's typical apple.

I have to say pinball arcade was the one app I was most looking forward to playing. The retina tables look insanely better and I have no more lag!

haj

Sep 28, 2012
Are download files different from retina version and low-res ones, or they're combined? I'll restore everything to the air from old iPad2 so I'd like to know if I should delete TPA once and re-download everything.

haj

Sep 28, 2012
OK, coming from iPad2 and used to the non-retina graphics, every table on the Air looks SUPERB. I have to change my opinion about TPA graphics on iOS device now. One disappointment is the sound, no it's not TPA or FS, the Air itself -- it's muffled... I was expecting much better since it's now surpporsed to be stereo! Sound was much clear on an iPad2. Hope it'll get better if there's burn-in stuff.

haj

Sep 28, 2012
I realized why it looks so much better on my eyes compare to iPad2. On retina I can see the depth of 3D objects much better, so even without lights and shadows objects are easier to distinguish from the background which is also much clearer.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.