If you're experiencing flipper delay in TPA PC version, please read this.

bcfast

Jul 26, 2013
Thanks for posting this!! It works great and now I am going to finally purchase all the tables. I was not happy they way the flippers worked on my high end gaming pc and decided not to purchase. This fixed everything and it works perfect!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Something seems to have improved in the latest patch. I was getting a bit of lag on Monster Bash, but not anymore.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Often, switching the display mode to "full screen window" will disable the flip queue completely, since enforcing it on the desktop would make the computer feel sluggish. so try that first.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Often, switching the display mode to "full screen window" will disable the flip queue completely, since enforcing it on the desktop would make the computer feel sluggish. so try that first.

Yeah any kind of windowed mode should remove the extra pre-rendering. If you want to play fullscreen for whatever reason the fixes help though.

Ton

Dec 10, 2013
Hoping that this is not a too dumb question:
To keep everything as responsive as possible, is it advisable to set pre-rendered frames to 1 AND window mode to Fullscreen Window instead of Fullscreen ?

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Setting "Full screen window" is visually indistinguishable from fullscreen. it's a window that totally fills the screen with it's borders off the edge.

It's the only thing you need to do.

That said if you are happy with just the flip queue adjustment, no further action is needed.

happytm03

Nov 12, 2013
Thanks this worked for me! After changing my Nvidia setting, my PC is still experiencing
some lag; not anymore after the window full screen setting.

Yay! I don't need to upgrade my PC.

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
Trip report on a Nvidia: I never really felt the lag was noticeable, but yeah, it does feel buttery smooth now. I tried two tables. Attack from Mars when awesome. I literally quadrupled my high score, and almost beat the end game. I've never come close to doing that on PC nor iPad. Then I tried BK2K, and it ran well, but the ball went glacially slow. It still had inertia and the physics seemed right, but it was super slow. Weird, right?

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Ok, I had tried the "max pre-rendered frames" trick and it had helped things but this windowed full screen solution has completely resolved this issue. Thanks for posting about this. I surmise since we tend to compensate for lag by flipping the button a little earlier than many out there don't realize this solution will improve things, so if you are reading this, give it a try with a table that has important center shots (like Attack from Mars) and go back/forth between "windowed fullscreen" and just "fullscreen" and report back your findings. if it has helped, people need to read about this and try it out, as I suspect many just think "that's how the flipper should respond" and ... that's just not the case.

Loaf

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Hi, flipper lag has amazingly improved with this. Thanks for this easy solution.
Could it be that the ball gets faster as well? Had a hard time trying to keep track off it yesterday. Or was it just the beer?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
For Everyone playing on the TV / cabinet!
I stumbled over this http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/7665-HDTV-Game-Mode-Lag-vs-IQ?highlight=hdtv which gave me the idea my "tracking problem" could be a display lag thing.
I have an older Samsung ue40c6000 from ebay fo my cab. pretty decent display. I used game mode so far, because I thought tis was the optimum for latency / lag.
I was so wrong!
Renaming the Source to DVI PC enables the PC Mode on Samsung TVs (whoever thought of making a setting this unintuitive should get fired).
This is WAY better than the actual game mode!!! It took me some time to readjust everything so the colors / blacks etc. were as prety as in normal mode, but it is just amazing.
everything smooth as hell!
now I can challenge the black knight again ... and still waiting for high speed.

Last edited:

swift

Apr 7, 2014
Now that RadeonPro is basically dead, it means potential trouble for amd users. Can we hope for a fix from the developers? So that the game expierience doesn't depend on an external tool.

distill

Jun 12, 2014
Does anyone have ideas about other fixes for the flipper delay problem? My delay is 180 ms, give or take a few milliseconds, on both image and sound for the flipper action. That ruins the game. I have about 120 ms delay in Future Pinball (calculated from the sound effect), which also is very bad. I don't know why it is like this, but the "max pre-rendered frames" trick and the windowed mode tricks do not make any difference at all either. Also my problem is not related to a latency on a slow TV as my monitor's input lag is around 20-30 ms.

My system in short:
- Asus P9X79 WS motherboard
- Intel i7-3930K processor
- NVIDIA Quardo 3800 FX with the newest "ODE Graphics Driver".

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
If audio lags as well, that usually means some sort of post processing is to blame, and that sort of processing is usually in HDTVs.

The other thing that causes this is controller lag.

Try disabling antialiasing and/or post processing.

also try changing your controller.

also make sure that if you are fullscreen or fullscreen window, that you are running at the native resolution of your monitor. not doing so will introduce scaling lag.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I looked into fix this with IDirect3DDevice9Ex::SetMaximumFrameLatency, but the IDirect3DDevice9Ex is a Windows Vista and newer only option. Putting it it in and still allowing the code to work on Windows XP machine is a pretty big change. I'll look into it in the near future when my plate clears up a bit, but it won't be quick fix.

swift

Apr 7, 2014
how about making the game check the OS version, and applying SetMaximumFrameLatency only if it's Vista or newer, and not changing anything if ti's XP. Or maybe letting us configure it through PBAConfig.exe
XP is now unsupported anyway, and with no significant market share among Steam users. It makes no sense to hold back game features because of it.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
how about making the game check the OS version, and applying SetMaximumFrameLatency only if it's Vista or newer, and not changing anything if ti's XP. Or maybe letting us configure it through PBAConfig.exe
XP is now unsupported anyway, and with no significant market share among Steam users. It makes no sense to hold back game features because of it.

If the function call exists in your code, it will crash when starting up on a Win XP pc, even if you never call the function.

There are users who use Win XP, and they purchased content, so if we all the sudden patched the game and it no longer worked for them it would seem really unfair.

Essentially I'll need to support 2 different executables. I'll need to do that when we ship DX11, so improvments like this and touch controls (win 7 and newer only) will end up in the DX11 version.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.