High Score: 99,386,986,350

dakati

Apr 25, 2013
Is that nuclearkevin's actual high score, or did him and "Howling_Goro" (96,602,694,250) somehow hack the system and manipulate their final score or game play? I just don't see how a high score like that is humanly attainable. 99 billion? Really?

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
All it takes is earning extra balls faster than you lose them, and you can play forever. There's one EB on every door, possibly a second via the super skill shot, plus the camera will light the outlanes once every four doors. If you can hit 10-15 door panels per ball via left ramp - right ramp - piano, your game will last as long as you like.

Those high scores probably took about 10 hours. I reached 27 billion as my high score, which took somewhere over two hours. 10 billion per hour is about the expected velocity.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The fact that we are even considering the possibility of a legitimate 99 billion score on Twilight Zone is making me die a little inside.

nuclearkevin

Nov 11, 2013
It is legitimate and like vikingerik said... just keep getting those extra balls. I paused the game several times during that game so that I could see straight.

Ubivis

Nov 19, 2013
Imho, i would count pausing as cheating. The pause Screen should Cover the table completely. Never Seen someone pausing a Flipper in real live (beside Holding the Ball With one Flipper)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Imho, i would count pausing as cheating. The pause Screen should Cover the table completely. Never Seen someone pausing a Flipper in real live (beside Holding the Ball With one Flipper)

How about stepping away from the table with the ball at the plunger? It's a video game, and pausing is allowed not cheating if it's a feature.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Actually, on this one table (Twilight Zone), the real machine does have a pause feature, if the V9.4H ROM is installed.

ChezRoxwell

Feb 20, 2014
And now the current high is LastNinja64 with 189,589,639,760 ... Or what: 30 hours of play? I had to check because I finally got my first billion and was feeling good... The high scores on the real machine at Pinside are maxing out around 5 billion so, it DOES seem suspicious that the pinball arcade high is like 40 times that.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Twilight Zone, more than any other table, was tuned down to the point of travesty for TPA. The real Twilight Zone is widely (and correctly) known as a ballbreaker of a table. The TPA version is more like a Fischer Price children's toy, a "My First Pinball".

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
It's all legit. Just get 10 door panels every ball and you will play forever from all the extra balls. Lots of tables in TPA can go infinite like that, Bride and Funhouse being the most notorious.

My velocity on TPA TZ is a very consistent 10 billion per hour. The first hour scores 5 billion while the hitchhiker/robot counts are still ramping up to the max. 189B would take me 19.5 hours.

However, this is time to mention an odd ROM bug that happened to me in both of my 100B+ games. I wonder if it happened in any other top games.

tz-bug.png

The score award for loading the gumball machine ceased to be capped at 25 million. Instead, suddenly it awarded a weird number somewhere in the 140s which increased by 5M each time (as is normal in the beginning of a game until it hits 25M.) After 255M it rolled to 0, but kept increasing by 5M each time until it got up to 255M again, and so on. I don't know what caused this. I had lots of gumballs stacked and previously loaded, but don't think it was near 255 to overflow anything, more like 60 of each when this started happening, so the count may not even be related. My best guess is something unrelated caused memory corruption, maybe overflowing past 255 hitchhikers or robots or clock millions total or some such.

The bug adds an average of 102M per gumball load over a long period of time (the average is 127M per gumball instead of the normal 25M.) That's a lot, but doesn't really affect the calculus around going infinite, since it's just points not more EBs, and you still have to hit left-right-lock for each gumball light.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Yeah.

the slot machine kickout is wayyyy too easy to handle.

Here is how I owuld fix it.

Tne it so the dead bounce goes to the other flipper, but can't alwas be caught. Say 30% of the time it will settle cleanly for a trap, and 30% of the time it will strike the slingshot bottom post and rebound fast and you will need a quick flip, and the rest of the time it will go too far up the inlane, and then be untrappable and you will ave to shoot on the fly.

And the hold catch would sometimes settle like it does, and sometimes bounce into the inlane, and sometimes trip the slingshot.

nothing else would need to be changed.

nuclearkevin

Nov 11, 2013
It's all legit. Just get 10 door panels every ball and you will play forever from all the extra balls. Lots of tables in TPA can go infinite like that, Bride and Funhouse being the most notorious.

My velocity on TPA TZ is a very consistent 10 billion per hour. The first hour scores 5 billion while the hitchhiker/robot counts are still ramping up to the max. 189B would take me 19.5 hours.

However, this is time to mention an odd ROM bug that happened to me in both of my 100B+ games. I wonder if it happened in any other top games.

tz-bug.png

The score award for loading the gumball machine ceased to be capped at 25 million. Instead, suddenly it awarded a weird number somewhere in the 140s which increased by 5M each time (as is normal in the beginning of a game until it hits 25M.) After 255M it rolled to 0, but kept increasing by 5M each time until it got up to 255M again, and so on. I don't know what caused this. I had lots of gumballs stacked and previously loaded, but don't think it was near 255 to overflow anything, more like 60 of each when this started happening, so the count may not even be related. My best guess is something unrelated caused memory corruption, maybe overflowing past 255 hitchhikers or robots or clock millions total or some such.

The bug adds an average of 102M per gumball load over a long period of time (the average is 127M per gumball instead of the normal 25M.) That's a lot, but doesn't really affect the calculus around going infinite, since it's just points not more EBs, and you still have to hit left-right-lock for each gumball light.

Nothing like a quick reply here! Same bug happened to me recently. I'm not sure of my score when it happened, but I am quite sure it was above 100B (PS3 does not display all digits above 9B, which really sucks because you never know how high your actual score is as your playing). This bug did not happen to me on my prior high game which was just below 100B (99B). I also don't know what triggered this bug, but it only happened one time during this game. I just missed making 200B on this game (197B). I would like to have seen if the bug occurred again at some point above 200B. Maybe Tarek could tell us as his high score is 212B. I guess no way to know for sure except by having a 300B game. Sounds like a job for vikingerik!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.