[Explained] Controller Support Options for Android

Crazeeangel

Mar 9, 2014
Thanks for this - I thought it should work from the product tech spec, and was quite surprised when Ryan stated it wouldn't.

Re- switching shoulder buttons for triggers, an option already exists within TPA.
Within any tables attract screen (panning cam) press 'Table Menu' then 'options'. Scroll right to the very bottom and alternate 'controller mode' setting. A=flip on buttons B=flip on triggers.
Other button switched becomes, magna save or trigger for BK STTNG etc.
This option is available in the current play store version, and the latest hi-lod beta.

Many thanks for helpful advice

I can confirm that the Idroid also works on Samsung Galaxy Mega again unrooted with latest firmware. Controller mode B also works perfectly with independent triggers on both Nexus and Galaxy.

Now my life is complete :cool:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Just turn this option on in 'Sixaxis'...
e6etybe7.jpg

And make sure touch profile drop down is set to 'none'.
And your good to go with dual analogue sticks on the Dualshock.

You might want to go into 'edit mapping' in clip above and reasign the 4 pad buttons your own layout. (I moved trigger to the 'X' button etc...)

After a store special on PS3 controllers, I decided to take the plunge and get the sixaxis app and a controller.

Wow, the PS3 controllers are far, far superior to anything PowerA put out.

I'm ditching my Moga Pocket for the sixaxis solution. It even works in Native Controller mode in Zen Pinball (although the launch button is digital not analog).

In my experience, sixasis is superior to my long-time go-to mapping app, USB/BT Joystick Center Gold. USB/BT doesn't offer a custom bluetooth stack like sixasis does, so you can't use PS3 controllers wirelessly. I think Dancing Pixel Studios did the right thing keeping this app for PS3 controllers. Only.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Wow, the PS3 controllers are far, far superior to anything PowerA put out.

In my experience, Sixaxis is is superior to my long-time go-to mapping app, USB/BT Joystick Center Gold. USB/BT doesn't offer a custom bluetooth stack like sixasis does, so you can't use PS3 controllers wirelessly. I think Dancing Pixel Studios did the right thing keeping this app for PS3 controllers. Only.

I'm glad you took the plunge (dya geddit) and are happy.
I've been using Sixaxis for nearly 3 years now and still think it's awesome for rooted devices.
I got my Dualshock second hand for the price of a pint of Guinness, and having taken it all over the place, work each day, countless business trips, dropped it several times, it still feels tight and of good quality.

I've had multiple attempts at convincing Shane Monroe to it's benefits as well, but couldn't talk him around. He was a USB/BT fan, I think he likes 'Game Controller 2 touch' now. Can't switch him to Sixaxis.

Re - Zen, I still prefer touch mapping personally.
You probably found out already, but touch mapped buttons are re-sizeable in sixaxis.
This is my Zen mapping layout (with a huge right analogue stick to give full analogue plunge range).
eza6uby2.jpg

I normally Zen on XBox360 (more tables & split screen 2 player score race), but took the time this weekend to bump your Epic Quest & Sorcerer scores on Android. I'm not forgetting the multiple others I'm taking a beating on before you mention it :)

I'm really hoping Pro Pinball gets native controller support from the go and analogue nudge. I think that could really spoil the Android version if not in from day one.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm glad you took the plunge (dya geddit) and are happy.
I've been using Sixaxis for nearly 3 years now and still think it's awesome for rooted devices.
I got my Dualshock second hand for the price of a pint of Guinness, and having taken it all over the place, work each day, countless business trips, dropped it several times, it still feels tight and of good quality.

I've had multiple attempts at convincing Shane Monroe to it's benefits as well, but couldn't talk him around. He was a USB/BT fan, I think he likes 'Game Controller 2 touch' now. Can't switch him to Sixaxis.

Re - Zen, I still prefer touch mapping personally.
You probably found out already, but touch mapped buttons are re-sizeable in sixaxis.
This is my Zen mapping layout (with a huge right analogue stick to give full analogue plunge range).
eza6uby2.jpg

I normally Zen on XBox360 (more tables & split screen 2 player score race), but took the time this weekend to bump your Epic Quest & Sorcerer scores on Android. I'm not forgetting the multiple others I'm taking a beating on before you mention it :)

I'm really hoping Pro Pinball gets native controller support from the go and analogue nudge. I think that could really spoil the Android version if not in from day one.

Thanks for the mapping layout. I think I'm going to have to get that set up as well for Zen. Just started playing some of the older tables, and I forgot how much fun they are.

That Game Controller 2 Touch app is nothing to write home about. Shane gets traffic to his site for being the mapping files host. ;-)

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Thanks for the mapping layout. I think I'm going to have to get that set up as well for Zen.

I think I've found a better fix for Zen Android with Sixaxis.

Create a touch profile that only has Right analogue stick - no other buttons.
Make the right analogue stick button large enough, so diameter of the button is same or close to vertical height of screen, then position so centre of button is at the right hand middle of screen.
Save profile.
On Sixaxis front screen - under 'active touch profile' select the newly created profile. Make sure 'native controller' option is still ticked in controller options.

Start Zen, now you have both analogue nudge, and analogue plunge. :)
Sixaxis splits the inputs so only right stick is touch mapped, all other controls are 'native controller' inputs.
It's a work around until Zen fix native controller input anyhow.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I think I've found a better fix for Zen Android with Sixaxis.

Create a touch profile that only has Right analogue stick - no other buttons.
Make the right analogue stick button large enough, so diameter of the button is same or close to vertical height of screen, then position so centre of button is at the right hand middle of screen.
Save profile.
On Sixaxis front screen - under 'active touch profile' select the newly created profile. Make sure 'native controller' option is still ticked in controller options.

Start Zen, now you have both analogue nudge, and analogue plunge. :)
Sixaxis splits the inputs so only right stick is touch mapped, all other controls are 'native controller' inputs.
It's a work around until Zen fix native controller input anyhow.

You are truly the sixaxis guru, Baron. I had no idea you could enable both profiles simultaneously. Sixaxis is a really lovely piece of software. Time to write a glowing review I recokon.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
You are truly the sixaxis guru, Baron. I had no idea you could enable both profiles simultaneously. Sixaxis is a really lovely piece of software. Time to write a glowing review I recokon.

The workaround seems OK in most Zen Android tables, but is more glitchy in the new Football table. I've had glitchy left flipper and premature plunge release.
Resizing the touch zone helps - this is how my portrait tweaking has ended up. Seems a good compromise.
u7uzy7u9.jpg

Zen's menu control via controller works really nicely. All menu scrolling and selections possible through the controller.
Nice job Zen, and good spot Jared. I hadn't noticed the analogue nudge implementation till you posted.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
I've been trying to tell you guys! Sixaxxis is the way to go - period. The best part is being able to map all the buttons to match TPA on the console, which makes it much much smoother going to the tablet from the PS3.

If you can get one of the older, original Sixaxxis controllers (non-DualShock) the battery lasts forever. I don't think vibration is supported in any of the games I use it for, so I prefer the lighter controller with a bigger battery for mobile gaming. I keep mine in my bag at all times, and can whip out some TPA at a moments notice! :)

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I don't own a Bluetooth keyboard, but I'd guess no unfortunately, unless you use something to map the Native controller outputs (which is all TPA will accept - inputs aren't customisable in TPA).
Also the most useful inputs are analogue which a keyboard can't do. (nudge/plunge) so it probably wouldn't be a good experience anyway.

Best bet would be to get a Nyko playpad or Moga or similar.

If you do figure a way, post up though.

Dan

Feb 28, 2012
I don't own a Bluetooth keyboard, but I'd guess no unfortunately, unless you use something to map the Native controller outputs (which is all TPA will accept - inputs aren't customisable in TPA).
Also the most useful inputs are analogue which a keyboard can't do. (nudge/plunge) so it probably wouldn't be a good experience anyway.

Best bet would be to get a Nyko playpad or Moga or similar.

If you do figure a way, post up though.

Thanks.

alexb

Nov 5, 2013
sorry to be a pain but i have purchased a moga pro controller to play with the android version on my motorola xoom mz601 and it works fine in mode A but i would really like to change the flipper buttons from L1/R1 to L2/R2 as i cant get along with the other configuration can anybody help?

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
sorry to be a pain but i have purchased a moga pro controller to play with the android version on my motorola xoom mz601 and it works fine in mode A but i would really like to change the flipper buttons from L1/R1 to L2/R2 as i cant get along with the other configuration can anybody help?

You can do it within TPA itself.
Go into any table, and pick options.
Scroll right down to the bottom.
Find 'controller mode'. A=flippers on L1,R1. B=flippers on L2,R2.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.